Another Cyclist Killed

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by mtbfan, Sep 14, 2012.

1. mtbfan

mtbfan MTBFAN

2. hill^billy

hill^billy KICK YOUR OWN A$$!.......

rug sucker
    Seems like every week we hear of another dying, mostly hit and runs. So tragic! I will never ride a rode bike! I will take my chances with the other dangers before I take on a careless driver.

3. bing!

bing! Active Member

If you never rode bike, then you don't bike :)

Sad news. I have nothing against road bikes, I'd like to ride one, but I don't trust LA streets.

4. ocdingbat

ocdingbat Member

sparky
    my condolences...wow PCH has claimed a few this year. I hate these threads :-(

5. BROWNIE

BROWNIE I'm good at recess!

work
    ^+1... but I will ALWAYS ride my road bike.

6. badgas

badgas I like dirt

SO Sad

7. El Immigrante

El Immigrante STR's resident Coyote.

Coyote...need to get your relative across the bord
    Tijuana- Land of pimps, drug dealers, hot women, m
    This fvcking blows!

8. exrcyst

exrcyst Member

Very sad. Strap children to bumpers and then maybe people will realize they need to pay more attention to the road.

9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

[TABLE="class: PR_Table, width: 635"]
    [TR="bgcolor: #E8E8E8"]
    [/TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EAE9DD"]Case Number[/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EAE9DD"]Name[/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EAE9DD"]Gender[/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EAE9DD"]Age[/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EAE9DD"]City of Residence[/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EAE9DD"]Death Date[/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EAE9DD"]Death Location[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]12-03584-RA[/TD]
    [TD]Sarah LEAF[/TD]
    [TD]Female[/TD]
    [TD]DOB: 01/25/1983[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]09/14/2012 at 10:40 hours[/TD]
    [TD]Intersection, Newport Beach[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EAE9DD, colspan: 2"]Investigating Agency[/TD]
    [TD="colspan: 5"]Newport Beach Police Department # 12-08055[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EAE9DD, colspan: 2"]Injury Date[/TD]
    [TD="colspan: 5"]09/14/2012 at 00:00 hours[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EAE9DD, colspan: 2"]Injury Location[/TD]
    [TD="colspan: 5"]Bayside Drive and Pacific Coast Highway, Newport Beach[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EAE9DD, colspan: 2"]Injury Description[/TD]
    [TD="colspan: 5"]The deceased was a bicyclist struck by a truck. Further details are pending a police investigation and autopsy examination.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EAE9DD, colspan: 2"]Comments
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

10. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Another one went down today on Newport Coast: http://www.coronadelmartoday.com/30...lice-seek-pickup-truck-driver-who-fled-scene/

A female bicyclist was killed after a hit-and-run accident about 9:45 a.m. today on Newport Coast Drive between Ocean Vista and Vista Ridge drives, police said in a news release.
    “A preliminary investigation revealed that a female bicyclist was riding northbound on Newport Coast Drive when she was struck from behind by a black pickup truck,” the release said. “The driver of the truck fled the scene without stopping to render aid and continued northbound on Newport Coast Drive.”
    The bicyclist, a 57-year-old Irvine woman, was taken to a hospital in critical condition and later died from her injuries, the statement said. Her name was not released pending family notification.
    Police are asking for the public’s help in finding the driver of the truck, which was described as a black full-sized pickup, possibly a 2001 to 2004 Toyota Tacoma. The truck has “significant damage to the right front area of the vehicle,” the statement said.
    Anyone with information should call Traffic Investigator Eric Little at (949) 644-3746.
    The incident is the second fatal crash where a truck struck a female cyclist in two days in Newport Beach.
    Sarah Leaf, 29, was killed when a truck making a right turn from East Coast Highway onto Bayside Drive struck her and drove over her. The investigation into the cause of that crash continues, and no arrest has been made. Read our earlier stories here and here.
    Newport Beach Police Department spokeswoman Kathy Lowe said the crashes were “a very tragic two days in Newport Beach.”

11. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    This is awful! I really don't understand how anyone could just hit someone and leave them there to die. I feel terrible for their families.

12. Albacore

Albacore 34x18

Fireman
    Same here. Yes, you have that "oh sh!t!" moment when it happens but to then drive away. . . I don't have the words for how callous some people can be.

13. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    I agree that it IS awful, but is it really so hard to understand?

We live in an age of diminished responsibility, where the escaping of consequences for one's own actions is more than just commonplace (indeed, one need look no further than our President to prove this... but I digress: that's a topic for another forum). Some people would think that it's far easier to drive off unseen than to face the legal and financial fall-out that would arise from killing someone on a bike. You and I -along with the majority of folks on this site- would never dream of leaving a person we struck to die, and fleeing the scene. Unfortunately, there are others who are 'cut from a different cloth'.

14. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Update from the Register.

NEWPORT BEACH – A 57-year-old woman riding a bicycle died on Saturday after a hit-and-run driver collided with her on Newport Coast Drive, police said.

Cathy Ritz of Irvine was the second bicyclist in two days to lose her life in a collision with a truck in this city. On Friday, 29-year-old Sarah Leaf died after an accident near the southwest corner of East Coast Highway and Bayside Drive, Newport Beach police Sgt. Mark Hamilton said.

A female bicyclist was killed Friday morning when she was struck by stake bed truck on Pacific Coast Highway, Newport Beach police said. The cyclist was wearing a helmet and cycling clothes.
    About 9:45 a.m. Saturday, police and paramedics were called to Newport Coast Drive between Ocean Vista and Vista Ridge drives where Ritz was struck from behind by a pickup truck as she traveled north on the street, police said.

The driver of the truck – which was described as a full-sized black pickup truck, possibly a 2001-2004 Toyota Tacoma – left the scene without stopping. The right front-end of the truck is said to have significant damage, police said.
    Ritz was taken to Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center in Mission Viejo where she died later Saturday. Anyone with information about the accident or the driver of the vehicle is asked to contact traffic investigator Eric Little at 949-644-3746 or email at [email protected].
    That accident occurred less than 24 hours after another fatal collision between a truck and a bicyclist. Leaf, a Corona del Mar resident, was riding east on East Coast Highway about 10:40 a.m. when a stake-bed truck hit her.
    Leaf was pronounced dead at the scene, Hamilton said. The man driving the stake-bed truck stopped and stayed at the scene.
    "We are conducting an investigation to determine the cause of the collision and are interviewing a number of witnesses that were at the scene at the time," Hamilton said.
    Southbound Bayside was closed temporarily during the investigation.
    Anyone with information about the accident involving Leaf and the stake-bed truck is urged to call Newport Beach police at 714-644-3717.
    Contact the writer: 714-704-3709 or [email protected]

15. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    The reasons for taking off are usually fear. Fear because you are drunk or high. You were texting. You don't have insurance. You are wanted by the police for something. Denial. I'm sure there are other reasons. Now they get to live the rest of their lives in fear and hopefully with regret and guilt.

16. ajsura

ajsura AJ G2 Bike

G2 Bike and Altitude Training
    http://www.newportbeachca.gov/index.aspx?recordid=5514&page=2091

Bicycle Safety Committee - SPECIAL MEETING - Bike Share

Date: 9/17/2012 4:30 PM - 6:30 PM
    1000 Avocado Ave. Newport Beach, California, 92660

Add to Outlook (.ics)

Special Meeting Agenda - September 17, 2012

17. Rawhead

Rawhead Member

A friend and I rode past the accident scene atop of Newport Coast Drive yesterday in the early afternoon. At the time we were not aware of what took place, we only saw the lane blocked off with crime scene investigators on site. Very sad news indeed. The motorists should be prosecuted to the furthest extent of the law. Both crime scenes took place in a marked bicycle lane. It's time motorists are held more accountable.

18. Congo Kid

Congo Kid Middle Aged Wannabe MTB'r

Commercial Real Estate Executive
    Wow - this is such a tragedy. How sad.
    Mentioned to a friend of mine today about this and he said he was through road riding and was moving to 100% mountain biking because of someone texting or distracted being able to kill him in a 3,500 lb vehicle.

I'd be curious what the stats are for those hit by cars relating to both front headlights and blinking tail lights. I wonder if they are even a factor in preventing accidents, or if someone texting wouldn't see a light regardless.

Anybody know if there's info on this - whether it even makes a difference having safety lights on front and rear?

Thanks

Jeff

19. ajsura

ajsura AJ G2 Bike

G2 Bike and Altitude Training
  20. jcw

jcw New Member

yeah, I've got one