Angry About The Giro Crash Replacement Program/Scam

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AtOurGates, Jun 1, 2010.

1. AtOurGates

AtOurGates New Member

A couple months ago I crashed and landed on my Giro helmet. It did its job - and I was quite happy. I looked up the company's crash replacement program on their website, which is fairly vague - but requires customers to send in the damaged helmet and documentation in exchange for "credit toward a new helmet".

I sent my helmet in, and it was delivered on April 26th. I just got a call back this morning. Turns out their "Crash Replacement Program" is allowing customers to purchase a new helmet directly from them with a 30% discount off MSRP. Factor in the cost of shipping my helmet to them, and the month of waiting - and I would have been better off just driving down to my LBS and looking for a deal.

I don't know what other manufacturers offer - but Giro's program seems like a scam to me, largely because they don't give its specifics anywhere on their website. If they had just said up front that it was only a 30% discount, I would never have bothered.

Now I'm out the cost of shipping, and still no replacement helmet.

Am I off my rocker to feel a bit scammed?

EDIT: Sorry - my title was inflammatory. Scam is too strong of a word. I just wish Giro would state exactly what their crash replacement offer was. Apparently I am a bit off my rocker 8-[

2. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me
    How is it a scam? What level of discount were you expecting? Their product worked didn't it? It would seem that their product delivered on their end.:-k

3. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

yes.

You bought a product. It did its job. You killed it... it was done.

SO - a company offers you a discount on a replacement....

What, you think they're gonna send you a brand new one for free? They didnt have to offer you jack shit... and they offered you 30%. Seems like a good deal. :bang:

Also, im sure they have a phone number or email address you could've contacted for more info on the policy....:-k (oh... that requires work tho...)

Man, people could bitch about a day off of work around here....:lol:

4. zioncoming79

zioncoming79 Old Man Dead

a business bank SVP
    They manufactured a product that saved your life. I think it's quite generous offering 30% off.

5. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    ...and alive and well to boot.

End of story.

6. fatguy1

fatguy1 Active Member

owner of auto detail co.
    i would have paid double for a new one if it saved my wig from gettin split......but you should be thankful a company these days even offers that.....

7. BAD_S197

BAD_S197 New Member

EMT
    I've never expected a replacement or discount on any helmet...

I view helmets as a consumable, like brake pads. Once they are done you replace them.

30% off a new one is genrous in my opinion.

8. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Some companies are more generous.

Bell is interested in your safety and in advancing the state-of-the-art in
    head protection. If your helmet is involved in an accident you may obtain
    a replacement from Bell by doing the following:
    For U.S. Customers:
    1. Send the following:
    a. The damaged helmet (prepaid);
    b. A copy of your dated cash register receipt;
    c. A letter describing your accident in as much detail as possible; and
    d. A check for $35.00 for Fusion In-Mold helmets or a check for $20.00
    for non-Fusion helmets

9. AtOurGates

AtOurGates New Member

Touchet. Can't argue with anything you've said - except for the fact that they didn't disclose what their crash replacement program entails until after I'd sent in my helmet and waited a month and a half.

The MSRP of the Giro Phase I purchased is $75. My Crash Replacement offer form Giro was to purchase the helmet for $52.50. Adding the cost of shipping my helmet to them makes it $61.

Right now, JensonUSA is selling the Phase for $39. So, Giro's crash replacement offer would cost me $22 more than just buying a new helmet.

The solution is simple. If Giro would state on their website exactly what their crash replacement program is (like their parent company Bell does) - customers like me would be able to make an informed decision about waiting a month and a half for a 30% discount off MSRP.

10. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

Or you could do your due dilligence and pick up a phone and ask?

Just the other side of the coin. They could offer NO replacement coverage... and you'd be on here asking why they dont have a program.....

Enjoy your new helmet, and be glad you're not a vegetable.

11. AtOurGates

AtOurGates New Member

True. Do the 3 (unanswered) emails and 1 (unanswered) voicemail I sent / left before sending in my helmet count?

But like you said - maybe I'd be whining just as loudly if they offered no crash replacement program. And their helmet did work exactly the way it should. That is far more important than the cost of a replacement.

12. Cableguy

Cableguy Member

I think 30% is industry standard. Troy Lee is 30% also.

13. jj nicholas

jj nicholas GIANT whore

My friend bought his giro at performance bike shop, 3 months later he crashed on it and cracked it. Performance has a "100% satisfaction guarantee" so he just said he wasn’t satisfied so they just replaced it no questions asked.

14. AtOurGates

AtOurGates New Member

I got mine from REI - and asked them about a replacement after the crash. They said they didn't offer anything, and referred me to Giro's program.

REI's so good about replacements and returns that I'm sure I could have gone in to a store and gotten them to take it back - but it would have felt dishonest. Like a few of you have said, it protected me in a crash, and I definitely got my money's worth out of that helmet.

15. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Does anyone actually consider the Crash replacement policy as a buying decision? Me? Comfort ... Fit ...Protection..that's it.

Alternate view...If I am landing enough on my melon enough times to actually factor in the replacement policy I should be choosing a different sport.

16. Red Hawk

Red Hawk New Member

goverment contractor, screenwriter (well hobbie un
    I didn't know Giro offered a crash replacement. I would think if I broke the helmet and not my head, it did it's job. Plus, I would be happy buying another helmet again at full price knowing it offered that level of safety.

On another note, ironicly about crash replacement.

I had a friend that crashed in Whistler wearing a full face helmet. I can't mention the company, cause it's confidental. But he was wearing their new full face carbon helmet, and after the crash he smashed in one side of it and put a hole into it. He contacted the company and described the damage. The company thought it was strange and wanted to get the helmet from him for testing, so basicly in the end he got a new helmet for next to nothing.

17. Pickettt

Pickettt New Member

I wouldn't bother with crash replacement because of the hassle. I also would just be grateful that I survived a head crash. HOWEVER, I totally agree with AtOurGates, if you advertise something, deliver. Don't jerk your customers around. Folks at Giro have already figured that most won't bother with the replacement program because it's not worth it.

18. AtOurGates

AtOurGates New Member

Got a reply

I sent out an email to Giro yesterday, and got a couple responses today. The first was a general "your helmet did its job, and we're sorry it took so long to get your replacement processed." I wrote back and asked more pointedly why they didn't just say on their website that they offer a 30% discount on new helmets as crash replacements. Here's the response I got:

A nice reply, but not entirely satisfying. Essentially, they don't want to piss off their dealers by suggesting any kind of 'direct sales' through their crash replacement program.

Anyway - c'est la vie. I'm convinced it's not a scam, but still unfortunate that they won't offer that information up front.

19. Manny43

Manny43 New Member

blue collar
    When I broke my Roc-Loc harness, Giro sent me a new one...FREE...with FREE SHIPPING!!...So whatcha talkin' 'bout, Willis??

20. autoduel

autoduel sandbagger

Architecture
    They probably considered that a warranteable manufacturer defect which is unrelated to their crash replacement policy.