Road Ride Report Angeles Forest Loop

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by FFW, Jul 19, 2010.

1. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    I rode with Brian (Boing Boing) yesterday. Brian brought his camera but unfortunately the batteries died before we even started the real climbing – so sorry, no pics. It was a gorgeous day but very HOT

We started out at Sierra Ave and Lytle Creek off the I-15 and worked our way up beside the freeway on the old Rte. 66 and then a short section of I-15 to get to the 138 where we stopped to fill the bottles with ice and fresh water. After about a mile on 138 we made the left turn onto Lone Pine for the climb up to Wrightwood. By the time we got Wrightwood I knew I was having a pretty bad day, which was emphasized by how strong a rider Brian is. Even with his heavyish Shwinn 10-speed he probably could have rode circles around me all the way. When we got to Wrightwood we stopped to get water at the gas station and like a bone-head, I left the baggie with my phone, credit, card, and drivers license sitting on top of the water fountain. Didn’t realize it until we had climbed 6 miles and 1000 feet up to the intermediate top-out at Inspiration point. We debated on just turning around and going back the way we came but Brian talked me into riding down, look for my stuff, and then continue on with the ride. Luckily the nice lady at the gas station had found my stuff and saved it for me.

So we climbed up to Inspiration Point, again, and then the 8 miles and 1200’ more to Dawson saddle where we’d already accumulated over 9500 ft of ascension in less than 60 miles! The views of Mt Baden-Powell and the Antelope Valley on the climb up to Dawson are breathtaking and it was a real joy to see that at least part of the Angeles Forest is intact, green, and thriving. The following miles of downhill from Dawson to Islip saddle then down the 39 were a real treat. Many small waterfalls on the side of the 39 – we stopped halfway down to sit under a larger one and cool off. The lower part of the 39 was like dodge ball avoiding the hundreds of people and cars all over the road, there to enjoy the cool water of San Gabriel River. Down at the bottom of the 39 there are 4 or 5 small climbs that started really hurting me and the temp was back up from 85 degrees at Dawson to over 100 when we hit the city streets. Thirty miles to go back to the car , and for me, much too much of it was uphill. That was a long 30 miles punctuated by a big coke, a cherry slurpy, and me laying down on the grass in the fetal position crying for mama at one point!

Total riding time was 8:39 with a total trip time of almost 11.5 hrs. (Edit: was actually more like 12 hrs) Had to stop numerous times to get water and cool off as I was severely overheating and feeling dehydrated most of the ride. Total mileage was 117.8 miles and elevation gain was 11,287 feet. I was pretty wasted at the end but I think Brian could have gone for another lap

Thanks to BoingBoing for a great adventure!

2. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

Good work guys.

See any bighorn near Islip?

Tough grind from 39 back to Lytle Creek, but at least you had a tailwind, right?

3. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    I'm feeling painful and exhausted just reading that RR!!!

Well done - even without pics.

4. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    Man I wish we had photos because the scenery along that part of the forest roads really is spectacular. Still quite a few flowers out and more water running than normal for this time of year.

The temp at Inspiration Pt was probably in the 80's but there was a nice breeze coming over the mountains so it felt cooler than that.

We saw lots of "Watch for Sheep" signs but unfortunately didn't spot any - although Brian was doing a pretty good impersonation of a mtn goat

One thing this ride did is prove I'm way in over my head for the Everest challenge. I'm thinking strongly of backing out unless I can lose another 5 lbs minimum and get in a lot more climbing in August. Even with the compact 50-34 and 28 tooth sprocket it was tough to hold cadence on the steeper parts.

5. hill^billy

hill^billy KICK YOUR OWN A$$!.......

rug sucker
    You are a crazy bastard! If it makes you feel any better I also left my wallet on my tailgate, in Big Bear on Saturday, a nice lady tracked me down coming out of the bathroom and handed it to me. Makes you want to kick your own a$$. Everytime I start to thing everybody sucks somebody does a good deed and renews some faith.

6. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    I hear you, many times when you think the world is going to hell, the kindness of a stranger reminds you that most people are basically good and decent.

7. Jslow

Jslow stipend of maltliquor

Ha boingboing and u had a fun time eh? When is the dirt version?

8. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Sounds like a great training loop for everest except for the short section on I-15...there's gotta be a way around that.

Inspired to do it, but in going solo will probably park @ 138/I-15 and out-and-back to the 39 cut-off so if I bonk as expected...its downhill most of the way...not as interesting but might be a little safer and won't have to dodge the HWY 39 peeps.

9. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

There is a way around I-15 -- climb up Highway 18 and descend 138! :)

Actually the 15 is not bad, it's short and enough shoulder. Otherwise you'd need a cyclocross bike to ride the fireroads around.

10. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    Jslow - yeah we had a good ride. A bit of a sufferfest for me tho

MnMDAn - I think you'd have no problem on this ride based on how fast you rode past me on the heartbreak century. Like jeff^d says, the I-15 section was short and not that bad

Dawson Saddle was about 7400' and the top of 39 was 6300' so if you do an out and back and turn around at 39 you have that climb plus the 1000' climb up to Inspiration Point after descending from Dawson Saddle. Other than those two climbs the rest would be downhill.

Another interesting ride would be instead of going up the 2 toward Dawson, go right after Mtn High down Big Pine Hwy to Big Rock Creek/Valyermo and then turn around and go back. The descent from Mtn High to Big Rock Creek is very fun with fast banked corners after Mile High. I used to do this out and back from the Palmdale side and I remember it being about 8000' of climbing. Probably better in the Fall when it's a little cooler though.

11. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    Nice RR guys! Sorry I am just now seeing your PM about the ride. Sounds like fun except for the heat.

This is a very true statement. I consider myself a fairly strong rider. I'm not fast but I can put in a good day of mountain riding. The time I rode with Brian I was constantly playing catch up. He's a very strong rider and a really nice guy!

12. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Brian is not a nice guy. Nice guys don't make you feel like a slug and Brian makes a lot of us feel like slugs! :lol:

Sorry, I didn't get to join you guys but like I told you I had a prior commitment and I couldn't get out of it. This was a ride I really needed but I hate to think how long you guys would of waited for my slow butt.

Dave you did a days worth already of the Everest Challenge. I have no doubt you'll do it. I don't think you'll have the heat to contend with either.

That was one hella of a ride. I ended up doing a short 60 miler but was pretty spent after it.

13. BoingBoing

BoingBoing Team Sisyphus

manual stabilization
    That is a really good route as far as scenery goes. Plus, you would start with the hardest climb. I always hate how worn out I am at the start of (the dreaded) Lone Pine Cyn Rd.

14. BoingBoing

BoingBoing Team Sisyphus

manual stabilization
    Alas, no. But they are hard to spot with your eyes crossed! :lol:

15. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    Good ride. Let us know what you do about a crankset? I'm in for Everest this year too. Thinking about a triple with maybe 11-34 in the back. I'm running 50/34-11/28 right now. Doing Glacier Lodge Road & Ancient Bristlecone this weekend to check myself out.

16. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    Going with the triple. 50/34/30 -- 11-28. Costing me but I think it's the smart move now. I'll need bailout gears for second day. Gonna try all three Day 2 climbs tomm. Park at Start/Finish at 168 & DVR. Sunrack for truckbed, cooler, food. Make a day of it. Need to know now what I'm jumping into.

17. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    The 50/34 11-28 wrks really well now that I'm used to it but I'm with you; I have an Ultegra triple in the garage somewhere and a 105 shifter that should work with it. I plan to train with the 50/34 and then switch out to the triple 2 weeks before EC so I can make sure it works and get the cable broken in. I know I can complete the 1st day of EC just fine; it's the second day that's got me thinking why the eff am I even doing this?!.

I am very eager to read about your recon of the 2nd day climbs. Good luck!

18. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    Knocked off White Mtn., parts of Waucoba and Glacier Lodge on Sunday. Onion Valley on Saturday with 108 temps. and a long slog back to Lone Pine in headwind put the lid on me. Will throw a RR together later today.

Saw a lot of roadies on White training for EC. That's a great, great climb. I took the dirt trail beyond the Finish area and headed up towards that research center. I was at least over 11,000'. Nice climb for a CX rig next time. Glacier is a beast for the first 6 miles. Waucoba is all up. Both these climbs are fairly dull, so-so visuals (rockpiles mostly on both)and just straight hurt. The descent off Glacier should be interesting. Big exposure, narrow, chipped up road and traffic...blow a front on Glacier descent and you're in hurt city. White Mtn. is a full-blown great climb. Ups, downs, steep, twisty...great views. The Rangers were having a open-house at their interpretive center and had lots of cookies and lemonade for the public. Way cool!

19. BoingBoing

BoingBoing Team Sisyphus

manual stabilization
    Wow! Training ride with USFS support! You must have great karma!