Amtrak Century

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by kcm, Sep 10, 2014.

1. kcm

kcm New Member

Just rode in my first 100 miles, the Amtrak Century. Before the ride, mountain bikers would ask, "you gonna where the tights?" Well, I did, even buying a rode bike a week before the ride. Always like to ride on the dirt but lately no free time except Saturdays so I picked up a old road bike and began to ride to work, and although it was a bit boring compared to mtbking, it kept me in shape to climb cholla and mt goat. Almost getting hooked on this drafting business... nothing like going 30 while being pulled by a pack of 40 roadies... Is it ok to admit that I like road biking a little? I recommend the Amtrak Century, mostly downwind, beautiful views and well organized. ..

2. Skid Row

Skid Row Member

Nice job KC !

It fun to sneak in a ride on the pavement once in a while. Now if you are going to tell me that you are to start shaving your legs, only wear rapha, and get all dressed up and ride around the corner to hang out at the coffee shop all the time..... well......

3. kcm

kcm New Member

oh no! I've been found out! going to leave the coffee shop now...

4. stevemacko

stevemacko Member

Good job!

5. A D NOH

A D NOH Custom Newbie Title

Motivational Speaker for Kids
    Awesome! Any photos?

I ended up buying a road bike so that I could get in shape for mountain biking. I do enjoy riding on pavement covering long distances. I do fear the roads though.

Yes, I wear tights with a cross country Fox shirt over it.

I'd love to do a century one day. Most I've done was a bit over 40 miles into the wind.

6. kcm

kcm New Member

I usually stick to PCH, San Gabriel river bed, Los coyotes riverbed, and santa ana river bed.. avoid the roads as much as possible… great way to keep in shape for mtbking..

7. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    Congrats! I was off the road bike for 7-8 months and started again a little over a month ago to train for the Amtrak (my 3rd year in a row and 7th time overall). It is a great, well-run century. My plan is to keep riding the road bike along with the mtb as I'd like to build up my endurance. Hope you continue to have fun on yours.

8. Bplus

Bplus New Member

Amtrak was awesome! It was my first organized group century and wow, so nicely organized.. Fresh fruit and snacks, cold water, gatorade, and ice at all the rest stops. I just started riding road this year and am having more fun than I thought I would. Good job on the first century OP, this was just my second.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2