Road Ride amtrac century

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by El Rolo, Apr 23, 2012.

1. El Rolo

El Rolo its just ahead

a friend of mine asked me to tag along on his ride this Sunday, Angels stadium to downtown San Diego and take the train back. I rarely ride on the road, and my average mtb rides last 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours. I ride two to three times a week at a moderate pace.

I will be doing this a road bike and I know my ass will take a beating, but other than that, am I asking for trouble for tagging along?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2012
  2. commplex

commplex SSuper SSlacker

Insurance Agent
    Nah you will be fine. Its a mello ride for sure.

3. chrisNINER

chrisNINER I make VINYL decals.

Ya it's an easy ride. I've done it two years in a row. If he's doing the actual amtrak route, you might have some trouble with the Torrey Pines hill (I walked it up in 2010, but was able to climb it at 3 mph in 2011).

Riding on the 5 is a little scary at first but it's better then going through Camp Pendleton. One rider in our group got 3 flats in 1 mile! There's a lot of debris going through Camp Pendleton.

Fun Ride IMO, even more fun with a group of 1000 riders on the day of the event in Sept. Good Luck!

4. BROWNIE

BROWNIE I'm good at recess!

work
  5. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Don't worry about it. If it gets too bad you can bail and catch the train at a bunch of locations along the way.

6. chrisNINER

chrisNINER I make VINYL decals.

7. XLPARAGON

XLPARAGON Member

A little of this and that
    Riding on the 5 is better than through Camp Pendleton...ummm no...don't think so. I have ridden it many times and never a had a flat and more importantly never had cars go whizzing by me at 80+ mph. But to each his own I suppose. As an added benefit where else can you see "TANK X-ING" painted on the road

8. CarcinogenX

CarcinogenX Derp!

There's usually traffic going into Oceanside so more than likely you'll be going as fast or faster than traffic on the 5fwy. That's been my experience anyway and it's waaaaayy more fun.
    There's usually a tail wind the entire way and if you're blessed with it your biggest concern will be how well your outfit matches your bike, or if your socks will give you a goofy tan line. It's really an easy century.

9. osmarandsara

osmarandsara Active Member

Why is everyone saying this is an easy ride? Perhaps if you are a regular roadie its an easy century.....but it totally depends on the pace you and your buddy will be riding. He can either make it enjoyable for you or you'll be hating life when you reach the 50 mile mark. Most of my riding is on a mountain bike and when I did it it was with a bunch of roadie friends during the Amtrak Century......they dropped me and I got to San Diego one hour after they did #-o

10. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Does anybody have turn by turn directions for the San Diego area after the Torrey pines climb. I have done the MS ride 3 years now and there is so many turns I would get lost. Thinking of doing a solo ride weds. The MS route im sure is routed differently to accommodate all the riders.

11. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Try this:

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=39880

12. BROWNIE

work
    I think I have last years route sheet, I'll see if I can find it and PM you, you can have it.

13. BROWNIE

work
    2012 Amtrak Century Registering Rules

I just received this email regarding the registration of the 2012 Amtrak Century:

Amtrak 2012 data info - Sept 8, 2012*
    Email not displaying correctly?
    View it in your browser.

Orange County Wheelmen
    38th Annual Amtrak
    Amtrak 2012
    Sept 8, 2012
    initial data
    www.ocwheelmen.org
    Hi All potential Amtrak Riders,

This year Amtrak has all new requirements for registering for the ride.
    *Please visit the new wbsite www.ocwheelmen.org* and review the Amtrak section for all the new requirments for registering for the ride.*

In a nutshell you are required to create a website account.
    Also known as a "ngin" account. This is free but to register for any rides with OCW you are required to create the account.
    This account is only to protect any information and only asks for your email address and sends a confirming email to identify you.*

This will be the first of some information for you to prepare for the**2012 Amtrak registration and assure that you are not frustrated*during the mad rush to register for the 2012 Amtrak.

Thank You for you past participation and patience during* this change.

Mike Lee,* Events

Anyone that participated in the 2011 ride knows that registering was a complete cluster f**k! So...if you plan on this ride in 2012, you will want to follow these directions.

14. BROWNIE

work
    Update on the registering rules:

Amtrak 2012 - Website Account Creation - How To*
    Email not displaying correctly?
    View it in your browser.
    Orange County Wheelmen
    38th Annual Amtrak 9/8/2012

How do I create a Website Account?
    Due to many questions, plus a website domain error,*I am sending you step by step instructions to create a "ngin" or OCW website account.
    GO to www.ocwheelmen.org*or follow the steps below with the links embedded.
    Create your OCW website login****Click here to create your account
    Suggested Account ID is First Name Initial+Last Name+Birthyear.* (i.e. Michael Lee 1956 would be mlee1956)
    Although any account login*you want, if not taken will be accepted, be sure to keep your userid and password in a safe place for future use.
    Create Password for account login (8 Characters min)
    You will be sent a confirming email with a link to confirm your account.* The*confirming email only takes a few moments to be returned.*
    Click on the confirming link inside the email.* Your account is now created.*
    go back to the website and login in to be sure you can.* Keep this information handy for Amtrak registration on June 24, 2012
    This website will safeguard your data. *You will need your account ID and password to access all the features and register for any events*of the website.

Thank you for your participation in Amtrak and all the other events that OCW has to offer.* Stay current by visiting the new website and all the speakers we are selecting and bringing to our monthly meetings.*

As always if you have any questions do not hesitate to contact me should you need further assistance.

Mike Lee, Events

Amtrak 2012 Comunication
    www.ocwheelmen.org

Ride Safe - Ride Predictable
    The best ride in Orange County
    *follow on Twitter | friend on Facebook | forward to a friend*
    Copyright © 2012 Orange County Wheelmen, All rights reserved.
    Write a short reminder about how the recipient joined your list. You rode Amtrak 2011
    Our mailing address is:
    Orange County Wheelmen
    26861 Trabuco Rd #E-66
    Mission Viejo, CA 92691

Add us to your address book

*unsubscribe from this list | update subscription preferences*

15. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Anyone want to bet that even going through these new hoops that they will once again have problems during the Amtrak registration process?

16. El Rolo

El Rolo its just ahead

Head wind all the way. Coastal eddie. No sun either. 7 hours 107 miles. Nice ride. First time I have spend that kinda time in the saddle. Stopped for a killer lunch in leucadia....meat loaf and mashed potatoes nd corn. 4 bucks. I know it ain't the kinda food serious distance riders eat, but it was GOOD! Torrey pines was nothing even
    After 80 miles. Bummer was the train was full of bikes and had to catch the 615

Nice day in the saddle.