All Things STRAVA (merged threads)

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by hawkesworthm, Dec 13, 2009.

1. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

I made it to the gate in 2 1/2 hours. Top that!

2. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    The first or second gate? :)

3. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    From the tree farm?

4. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

There are two gates? I was talking about the tree farm to the first gate. I always wondered what the big fuss was. There wasn't much climbing. :)

5. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    Dead Last Finish: Whiting Rd to Four Corners. LOL. Can anyone beat that?

I was surprised to see only 27 riders on that segment. In my defense, it was freaking hot today and they graded the road leaving lots of soft spots. I would have finished 26/27 under more favorable conditions.

6. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    I'm last or near last on a lot of segments. Nothing like being 174 out of 176 or something.

7. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    Here is a strange one: A segment called Blackstar to Dopplerball. I take it that it's the big soccer ball up the hill after the second gate. It says I finished 38/53, but I never climbed up to the ball on that trip. My best record is on a segment I never completed. I'll take it. LOL.

8. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    Here's another strange one.

http://app.strava.com/rides/1288626#19648238

I started out ranked #29. Then after that went down to #30. Now I am at #31 even though none of the rides ahead of me are more recent than my latest. Pretty soon, I will be dead last. Hahaha

9. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

Someone probably downloaded an old ride. It records when the ride was completed not when it was downloaded.

10. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Not only that but the person is listed by ride date if he's in any follow group or club.

11. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    So the list of people I need to bribe to get them to delete their rides has grown by 2 just over night. That is my only chance at landing a KOM. lol.

12. krunner44

krunner44 Member

Hair.
    I was confused by that one too. If you look at your elevation chart, it seems to be Gate to Gate to Gate (aka-up and down B*), I think it's just named wrong.

13. ajsura

ajsura AJ G2 Bike

G2 Bike and Altitude Training
    Report all the issues to strava...trust me I ride the "same old same old" and get diff results for elevation etc. not to mention the apps on phones and diff Garmins is off.....Since the iPone app there has been a ton more KOM's as it is off by 10 yards I guess .....this again is all from reading the blogs on Strava....just shows...it's not exact science and shouldn't be taken so "in stone" just try to better you time and have fun! It's def a motivator.....

14. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    I think my next ride I'll bring my edge 500, 705, iPhone, and my son's android phone. best time gets uploaded :)
    Not a big deal for me tho since nobody but me rides my segments. The Antelope Valley mtb scene has fizzled away.

15. OnYourLeft

OnYourLeft New Member

Any other Strava addicts?

I may be a little late to the party, but I just started using Strava a few weeks ago and I think I may be even more addicted to cycling now than ever. I had about 200 rides that I was able to upload from the Garmin Training center, which was cool to see in a little greater detail on Strava.com. I am now finding I need to remind myself that every ride is not a race, but man, it is a lot of fun pushing yourself through some of the more popular segments! I guess this can lend itself to some nice interval workouts, but I don't want to over do it given the 5 rides I'm logging on average every week. It is also pretty cool to see what your buddies are up to and it has kept me even more motivated to keep my time and miles up in the saddle. Still no KOM's, but I'm getting close! So, am I addicted because it is now off the bike and straight to the computer for an upload to see the ride results??? What is everyone else's take? What is everyone's favorite Segment to really push it on?

16. sauce

sauce New Member

Dissertation writing
    Home Page:
    I'm in general agreement with you on Strava, but I only "race" on Strava once in a while. My own training plan and race goals come first, above my QOM's! The best part is that Strava is a bit like Facebook; you can leave comments on rides. Also, like you said, you get more detailed analysis on Strava. Both the social networking aspect and the detailed analysis aspect make Strava a great training tool in terms of motivation and extra information. I do think it's sad that the first thing I do when I get home is upload my ride; also, I think too much about what my ride will "look like" on Strava during my ride. It would be better to just enjoy the ride for what it is rather than anticipate my Strava upload. lol. Good sides and down sides ...

By the way, Harding Truck Trail climb is my favorite segment! I plan on hitting it again this Saturday. I'm 9th (1:10) on Strava, and I really want a 1:05! Yup, definitely a motivator. lol.

Also, I met a good friend of mine (AJ) on Strava, so it's awesome in that in connects you with cool riders of like abilities. :)

17. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    Lots of fast people on Strava - catch some of Manny's or Lopes or Johnny O's rides - amazing.
    Make sure to join the STR group.

18. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    Strava is life.

19. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
  20. ajsura

ajsura AJ G2 Bike

G2 Bike and Altitude Training
    I am a recovering Strava addict....I went from riding 1000 miles a year to 4,700 last year..... it's true...it all happened when I joined Strava...I joined every contest....I almost couldn't walk..... I use Strava for new trails, unexplored territory, and I too have met some amaizng people along he way....I think the best part about Strava is the social aspect of it..... Strava has it bugs for sure...different GPS's give different readings etc etc. I have seen "mini pi$$ing" matches play out on who rode with what gps/phone app....and how it gave them a QOM/KOM wrongfully etc etc.... or illegal trails...etc..... The comments are hillarious..... "I was slow, not feeling good, mellow ride, spin with wife, bike malfunctioned, group ride, recovery week" just to make it look like they are not, not trying to get a KOM/QOM....it's like a glass bowl and everyine is watching..... I have had some serious crashes trying to QOM trails.... it's true!

STRAVA MADE ME DO IT! Is my slogan as I am bleeding

I met a good "virtual" friend on Strava that said something to the affect.... "the new people are in their honey moon phase of Strava...you can't wait to upload rides, you over comment on everyone's rides, and they are killing themselves every ride".....then you see it mellow out

I used to get QOM's on every ride.....and every ride I was humble as could ever be....it's all true and forever kept on Strava.... I am no trained, coached or under 30ty going on 40ty rider and have never been a CAT anything...that being said all my comments were "I am the only girl on here in the area and everyday there are younger, faster, more trained, coached girls joining and it only appears I am fast...." and well now the Strava community has blown up and will continue to grow..... and I have to look at my age catagory to make me think I am fast LOL....! And the segments have got out of control...there are like 4 just on the luge? really.... Harding,and Cholla, Mathis, etc etc....people will segment the trail to death I guess trying to get an award.....

I struggled/struggle with Strava it gets in your head....it takes away from casual ridng casue you think the whole time I can QOM this....and I was choosing riding alone instead of with friends... and I would nod at people not wanting to stop mid trail and blow my PR....LOL

I say join Strava, meet peoapl, push yourself.....use it for training, PR's intervals, sharp stick in the eye hill repeats.... have fun...get your QOM's/KOM's....they are fun...but just remember........ if you want to go fast go alone, if you want to go far go together....

I am a Strava addict and always in some small way will be...the people cheered and I rode.....

And shout out to Sarah Jansen....she is not just an amazing rider she is an amazing person and I am thankful Strava brought us togther as well as all my other Strava friends!