Aliso Woods Enforcement Coming...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OMR, Feb 22, 2007.

1. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    In discussions with the park rangers at Aliso Woods, they are getting ready to start really enforcing the backcountry rules there. They've noticed an increase in the amount of riding after the park closes and are planning to start handing tickets out again... just like they are starting to do in El Moro. :(

Of course the recent article in Bike magazine (March 07) on Han Rey dropping in on Telonic didn't help the situation. This is an illegal trail yet was written up in a nationally published magazine as being open and rideable. They even published the ranger station's contact number. [-X [-X [-X

The Resource Management Plan (RMP) for the park calls for the opening up of 8 new single track trails (which includes Car Wreck). This will not happen until 11 illegal trails have been put back into natural condition.

We have excellent relations with the rangers there. One of them is even an avid mountain biker. We are fortunate to have such a great place to ride close by. Let's don't screw this up. Please do not poach the illegal trails and/or ride at night. [-X

Last note: Due to the lack of rainfall, the trail work scheduled at Aliso Woods has been moved back to March 31st. Please come out and support the SHARE trailwork effort there.

Thanks & ride safe....

OMR
    8)

2. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    I thought Telonics was still illegal, but when I saw it in the magazine......I thought it might have been open........oops....guess not. I agree with mtber3737 in that we need to stay off of the trails when closed, so we can actually ride the trails we have now and get new one open.

3. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

The status of Telonics always seems to be confusing. I recently spoke with a person who is involved with park planning, but not a city worker, but someone who sits in on the meetings (sorry that I don't have his name or title), and he said it was open. He obviously could be mistaken. Due to the apparent confusion among many parties, I am not surprised if the status of this trail remains confusing until signs are posted. The signage efforts within the park are a failure.

4. kentonn

kentonn Rage against the Mods

Yes, very confusing! If you asked 50 people about Telonics, 25 would say legal, 25 would say illegal. These are the stories that I have heard:

1) Illegal.
    2) Illegal but not enforced.
    3) Legal
    4) Legal but stay right of the parking lot in the common grounds area.

The first thought that I had when I read the write-up in Bike is: "This can't be good, regardless of the status."

5. spookydave

spookydave A little dab will do me

so what's the name of that new tire that Hans has out now anyway? lol
    What a tool he is. He knows the deal and still has a tire named Telonics. We need to ship him back to where ever he came from.

6. soul rider

soul rider EMPTY V

veal in a cubicle
    i think BIKE will be giving up a lot of hidden jewels in the future. i always thought telonics was illegal...soon there will be an article about Gilman peak single track in Carbon Canyon...

7. kentonn

I just scanned the Aliso RMP and found no mention of Telonics one way or the other. Ibis, Bong Drop, Dog Park, Smoothies, Alpine Schoolyard, Red Rider No Way Out and JT's were specifically listed as Unauthorized...

The confusion continues?

8. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    According to the Rangers (Ed & Stan)...

...and they're the ones that now give tickets out, Telonics is illegal. :( As noted by Kentonn, the trail is not called out in the RMP... which means, according to the rangers, that it is considered an illegal trail and those caught on it will be ticketed.

I also agree that the signage is woefully missing in Aliso Woods and that is perhaphs one of the reasons of why tickets have not been given out to date... that's changing. Once tickets are given out for a particualr trail, everybody seems to know. The rangers are very aware of this.

SHARE is trying to do something about the lack of signage. Hopefully, this will improve the situation.

OMR
    8)

9. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

That's great to hear. Although I know little about SHARE, other than they are responsible for sanitizing trails, I'm glad to hear they are working on doing something in our best interest.

Admittedly, I've ridden my fair share of illegal trails. However, I usually haven't done so knowingly. I often find myself riding trails with a group, and assume the trails are cool to ride. Like one of the above mentioned trails. I asked several people that day and I was told it was legal. I first found it it wasn't on this board, and have since been asking lots of people.

I understand that I am responsible to know the rules, but posting maps at only the main entrance to a park doesn't effectively reach the entire user group. Call me lazy (I won't argue), but if they want to get the message out, it helps to use effective means. It's one thing for mountain bikers who participate in user groups - we get info, but a majority of bikers just ride. They're not in touch with the "community" so they don't know about any of the political BS.

10. Chopper

Chopper The Ancient One

Retired
    Sanitizing Trails? SHEEESH! Somebody just shoot me, PLEASE!!!!

11. JamR

JamR Moderator

Senior Planning & Field Operations Manager
    If you look at the trail exhibits, Telonics is not called out by name as is the case with several other trials, but it can clearly be seen on several exhibit maps, and is shown on the legend as an unauthorized trail. The issue is that the trail is technically not in the limits of the park right now, but it also does not exist on any Laguna Beach trail maps like Stairsteps did in the past, therefore it is shown on the RMP map as unauthorized.

I've always been really surprised that the people who seem to be passionate about Telonics have not taken steps to get it legalized and placed on the map; unless they alread tried and found out it was not going to happen. If people were really passionate about Telonics it would seem that by now someone would have started steps to legalize it.

12. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

I think Lee missed the Sanitation or Maintenance thread.

Speaking of, the switchbacks in Meadows are looking pretty wide, is there anything in the works for fixing that?

13. JamR

JamR Moderator

Senior Planning & Field Operations Manager
    He must have meant Sustainable Trails....they both start with "S' :)

14. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

No I didn't. I haven't read it today, but I didn't miss it. I intenionally used sanitation. Granted, I understand they do some maintenance, but it's the sanitation that occurs during the maintenance that ruins the trails for me.

I'm sorry for causing this thread to go down that path, since that's not what this thread is about.

15. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Any suggestions as to where work should be done in AW?

As previously stated above, trail work in the park is scheduled for 3/31/07. Any suggestions and or requests by you riders as to where the work (not sanitation) should be done?

Thanks,

OMR
    8)

16. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams
    You?

I would think if anyone could you would be able to get it going. Have you never ridden it?

17. kentonn

I wouldn't say that I am passionate about Telonics, however I am very fond of it. Where would one start if they wanted to get a trail legalized?

18. bananaseat

bananaseat Member

sounds like a letter to the editor, or letter's section of BIKE magazine is in order...

19. kentonn

As soon as I read the cover, I knew it was Telonics. I tore through the mag and found the article within seconds. I have to admit, it was somewhat exciting. Too bad the photographer blew the shot. I have never seen that section look so tame.

20. ehansen007

ehansen007 Member

Sales Engineer- ATT
    That's a bummer. I have been really looking forward to riding it. I was up there last Friday looking for the entrance. Then I read the article in Bike and was really pumped about trying it. Oh well.