Adrenaline Bikes (merged threads)

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by Waldo, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Flat Broke

Flat Broke Bikes don't kill bunnies

Jack of all trades, master of some
    A little Adrenaline Bikes Story

If you've peeked into the workshop forum in the past couple weeks, you might have seen my thread on a problem getting my Hayes nines bled properly. I had finally gotten the front working how I wanted, but the rear was pulling to the bars after a short while no matter how much fluid I pushed through the system on a bleed.

After scouring threads here, on RM, and emptybeer, plus starting a few threads of my own; I came to the conclusion that there had to be a hardware issue with my rear setup. I couldnt' find any leaking fluid anywher, so I was stumped. Someone had mentioned a leak in the hose , and I had seen/heard something that didn't seem right with the master cylinder piston. So I called up the guys at Adrenaline on Friday and talked to Gabe. I priced a rebuild kit for the MC, and he indicated that whole new MC might just be easier, and didn't really cost much more than the rebuild parts. I also figgured I might as well replace the hose at the same time. When all was said and done, I was lookin around $70-80 in parts. So I pulled my brake off the bike, hopped in the car and took a cruise down the 22.

When I got the shop, Gabe was talkin with a customer, so I shot the bull with Neil about his new "midlife crisis" purchase. Once Gabe free'd up, he had a look at my setup and in a matter of minutes had determined that my hose was fine, and the internals of my MC were probably fine as well. The source of my problems was that the part of the bladder that mounts with the top cap has a little nub that protrudes out through the cap and seals the bleed plug. The little nub had torn off the bladder, and was still on the plug. Long story short, a silly little part and some good advice had me heading back home confident that I could finally get my damn brakes sorted out.

Out of exasperation, I was ready to pay for new parts to fix my little problem. Gabe could have just sold me the stuff I asked for, and the shop would have turned some $$ and I'd still be happy because my brakes were fixed. Instead, he took the time to not just sell me parts, but help me out. It's service like that that makes me feel like "part of the family" and happy to spend the little money I do, at Adrenaline.

I know that others have had similar experiences at Adrenaline and other local shops, and thats great. We're definitely lucky to have so many great options so close to where we live and ride.

Anyhow, thanks again to Gabe and the guys at Adrenaline for taking care of me.
    Chris

2. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

you know, you're not really part of the family until you got hit in the nads with the stun gun.... :lol:

3. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    shhhh, don't let out all the secrets!

Hey Chris, I am glad we were able to help out and thanks for the kind words!

4. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    so the problem was your little nub???? and now your fixed???? :-k not sure something I would be posting up :lol:

j/k glad all is good with the bike and the good folks at adrenaline were able to assist. always fun to hit that shop (you never know what craziness will ensue)

5. Slopoke

Slopoke New Member

I gotta say Adrenaline is a cool place I baught my Yeti 575 there. Have not had much need for service. Nothing bad to say about those guys. Chicago bike(Newport) i use for the road bike.

6. Rob

Rob Active Member

Bike Mechanic at Rock n Road n MV

:bang:

Nothing like a good tazering after a ride.

7. steviebfromtheoc

steviebfromtheoc steviebfromtheoc

self employed
    Im born and raised in Orange and have been watching these shops grow , Adrenaline will always go the extra mile to get your rig ready to race , Big props to the crew .. Diamond Dave , Our Hero , Woobie , the Comissioner "neil" , Rob , and dont forget Jim , always in a good mood .. Tani is cool as hell at the path .. Bike Co. has the sweet DH gear .. lots of Troy lee product ..Kevin is the man , Switchback is alright , you aint getting a deal there though , they mark up everything , gotta pay the bills I guess

8. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    A follow-up to my previous post about Adrenaline and the wheelset I bought there. After about 10 months of riding, I snapped a spoke. The Horror! There must be something wrong for such new wheels to go so terribly wrong!

Just kidding of course - I assumed it to be normal wear and tear, and figured it was time for someone who actually knows there stuff (unlike me) to tighten and true everything. So I took them in to AB expecting to spend a few bucks (at least) and wait a few days (at least) to get my wheels serviced. Instead, Dave asks me if I want to wait for them! Ummm....sure?! A few minutes later, he admits (and I give him major props for this) that while he's got them trued well, he's not comfortable that the spokes are tensioned as well as they could be, and he'd like to have Gabe take a look. He asks if I can can leave them: Of course I can. Two hours later Gabe calls to tell me that they're done! Stoked!

I go to the shop after work to pick them up, really stoked that I'll be able to ride again the next day. Gabe asks me a couple questions, and when he finds that they built the wheels for me less than a year ago, he wipes the charges. Instead of the $40 or $50 that I expected, the cost ended up being a couple bucks for a new rim strip - which replaced one that was probably 8 years old! The wheels rock, the service rocked, the price rocked, and I was riding again the next day.

A lesson that many businesses should learn is that a few minutes of quality service buys a lifetime of goodwill. I'm not usually one to gush about stores or products, but I'm an Adrenaline customer for life.

9. TrailJesus

TrailJesus New Member

student
    *HIGH FIVE* for the Adrenaline crew :)

10. bobzrag

bobzrag bonedaddy

Good thread, I like Path & Bike Co (we were in there a while ago while my buddy bought something & helped with some setup issues), but they seem to tailor to the higher end type crowd.

Adrenaline has good guys that you see on the trail & at events. Always helpful and make it WAY too easy to spend money (I'm assuming that is good). I went in to have some drive train work done and Rob (Woobie) did a great job on parts and fixes - also spotted some f-d up spokes that I didn't see. I was toying with upgrading my fork on my older bike and Neil was cool - didn't try to push me into something that didn't make sense.

Highly recommend Adrenaline - they always say hi and are very helpful.

11. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    first of all...
    Today, 02:04 AM #50 (permalink) bobzrag
    flesruoy rof kniht

Bob.......get a life and off the cmptr.......remember the wife and kids?!

AB is a great shop. when choosing a tire for the Traverse I talked with a few folk there and left with a great tire I'm still riding,SB8:bang:. At a Fully ride I was having probs with my SS chain tensioner:( and Jesse said he'd look at it the next day. Took it in....looked at, recommended changing it out with new spring...fixed!:clap: Great guys who know what they are talking about. And a great place for SS help as well!8)8)

12. nomad

nomad New Member

truck mechanic
    They Offer Great Service , Reasonable Prices , Answer All My Silly Questions , They Dont Have An Atitude Like Their Doing You A Favor By Helping You Like Some Of The Other Local Shops & They Do What They Say Their Gonna Do. Iv Been Dealing With Bike Shops For 15 Years & This Is My Favorate

13. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    FooFighter returned his Marin frame here. I decided to buy it to build up an SS. Neil and Dave are great guys. Excellent customer service, plenty of knowledge, plenty of inventory. My Marin frame and short chain ring bolts was $90 total out the door with the STR hookup! :bang:

14. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    I love Adrenaline! It's my home away from home. Every purchase has been without fault and informative. Most of the time I just hang around and try to think of something to buy with whats currently in my wallet. After I get my Demo 8, two more builds will be under some planning. Perhaps a 4x/DJ and SS
    :beer:

15. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

what can i say...aside from the ribbing that Neil dishes out...the wealth of knowledge that Neil has and his great customer service just makes you want to come back again and again.

With regards to the frame, he could have easily said no but the fact that he did only convinced me that I will also frequent this shop...in fact i left the shop using up my entire refund on parts to build my SS with :) couldnt be happier w/ the guys there.

16. nomad

nomad New Member

truck mechanic
    I coulnt agree more with all the posts above . I went in several times asking questions , never was made to feel like I was bothering them or wasting their time [ like some other shops]. Iv bought two forks , & my rocky element there . Most recently we did a low budget ss build from an old frame & fork I had .Iv gone on a few shop rides . Good times . Real mountain bikers who ride & race selling & servicing bikes , with out an elitest attitude , it just doesnt get any better.

17. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

JIM, Neil, Dave, Gabe, Boats and The One Legged One- You've got one heck of a shop! :clap: I remember a day (earlier this Summer) when Neil "personally delivered" a part to me. Rest assured, that small act of kindness did not go unnoticed! Thanks! :beer:

If the "other" shops would STOP having "sales", I would visit you more often!](*,)
    I'll stop by one day with a six pack! That should smooth things over. :lol:

18. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    Dino - I quote 26rzenthingamabob "Dino needs to bring a keg of PBR in":beer:

19. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    Returned the splined SS kit to Performance and picked up a 19t freewheel and a Ritchey headset for $28 (STR discount). Always a pleasure to talk bike with Neil. Great service as always!

20. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

Once again, the guys at Adrenaline didnt disappoint. Picked up a pair of take off Juicy 3's for my SS build and found that I had a lot of travel in the levers before they engaged. No problem said Neil, bring the bike in and we'll have Chris rebleed them.

Brought in the bike today and Chris went right to work re-bled the brakes, fixed one of my oversight (mounted the front rotors on backwards :( Then Dave got into the mix and noticed that my chainline wasnt spot on...he took it upon himself to fix that...BAM done. Then he gave me shit about the brake lines being too long and proceeded to fix that LOL. The attention to details that these guys have when doing something so easy is just amazing. They truly look out for you.

I owe the guys at the shop big, i'll find a way other than referring some customer over your way to thank you.