AC Seperation

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by lesper4, Sep 12, 2013.

1. lesper4

lesper4 Member

Project Manager
    So I figure I should post this in here since mountain bikers go down more often then road riders and when we do it is usually a lot worse. Anyway I got hit by a car (his fault) back on August 25, went to the ER and was released. Besides a few minor bumps and scrapes I have a 2nd grade AC separation. I was able to see my doctor the next day but the Ortho doctor took two weeks for an appointment. After seeing him and suggesting I do not need surgery it is taking another two weeks to get a evaluation from physical Therapy. After that they set me up on twice a week for 4-6 weeks. That puts any treatment for my shoulder into the 6th week since the accident, does this not seem crazy? I am not only concerned that there may be damage in such a long period of no activity but I am trying to get ready for a back packing trip in November and with all this float time between appointments I am afraid I will not be recovered. I have been in a sling for 3 weeks an was told to keep it in one for a month. Thanks

2. rlbrubaker@gmail.com

[email protected] New Member

Sucks to hear! I separated my right one on 9/1 at snow summit grade 3. I have not been told anything about PT and was told I could get back on the bike for some light XC stuff starting in 4 weeks. To me this was great news. I separated my left one on 6/1/2012 and ended up needing surgery (grade 5). That one kept me off the bike for 7 months and was way worse than this. I guess it is all perspective.

Keep your chin up and do the work. Time goes slow when you are off the bike but you will be back soon enough.

3. jbbikerider

jbbikerider Member

Do you have a HMO policy or a PPO policy? If you have a PPO then you need to be in charge of your care. Otherwise Your at your plans mercy.

4. lesper4

lesper4 Member

Project Manager
    Yeah it is HMO and I have been told similar :(

5. Joalst1

Joalst1 Member

machinist
    Just did my right one up in summit this past weekend, Grade 3. My ortho told me the same with the sling for one month then PT. I start pt october 3. I would say 6 weeks is not crazy. Shoulder injurys are fragile and should be given all the time it needs to heal. Youre lucky it was only a grade 2. Healing vibes man!

6. badgas

badgas I like dirt

Get out hiking

Thats what I did when I did my AC two years ago. Give it rest and listen to the PT and the MD

7. lesper4

lesper4 Member

Project Manager
    Oh I hike a lot but but even if i come down the stairs fast it is uncomfortable. Not too mention a pack, I was going to do Baldy from the village in two weeks, and San Jacinto from the Palm Springs Measum in a month. I am going to try to pick up a used bike trainer at REI this weekend.

8. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    My 2 cents - maybe separations are treated differently but when I fractured my scapula (shoulder blade) the surgeon had me start light PT after two weeks. I was completely immobilized in a bondage sling for the fracture day & night. He wanted to prevent a "frozen shoulder" within the rotator cuff muscle group. First time was a little freaky. When they took off the sling I could "feel" the bone shifting. Weird stuff but it all worked out in the end. Even with my knee surgeries I was in PT within a week.

Good luck on a speedy recovery!

9. lesper4

lesper4 Member

Project Manager
    Thanks everyone.

10. bumpas

bumpas New Member

I had grade 5 year and half ago at 51 yrs old . Ortho told me no reason for surgery , have full range of motion and no other problems. I had no sling or anything else and am fine except for bump. Doc said I could ride my bike as long as doesn't hurt. Road on paved trails for 2 wks, then gradually back to dirt.

11. Mtnbikeman30

Mtnbikeman30 New Member

Grade 3 on June 8th, rode state park one week later. Besides the hideous bump its getting much better. Tough time lifting weights at the gym but overall it's okay. Looking forward to when it is 100%. Not gonna lie, I am still kinda worried cuz I think it should feel a bit better than it does....oh well. Keep us posted though, and definitely keep up with the PT.

12. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    I had a grade 1 or 2 ac separation in 2007, no sling or pt. Didntt really stop riding but kept to easier smoother stuff for a couple of months and mixed in some hiking and running. (probably shouldnt have ridden, I know...) Pain was tolerable after 2-3 months, much better at 5 months but it was almost 8 months before it felt 100% normal and could crank on benchpressing again. (and dh'ing). I knew it was gone when i could lift the bike on the rack and not feel it! I think most would heal faster than me if rest it for a while and then do some pt. Walk in the park compared to a neck injury, haha

13. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    Grade 3 separation, my Ortho put me in PT almost 2 wks into it. He wanted me to start moving my shoulder asap. Do what you can, but don't over work the shoulder. My first exercises consisted of bending at the waist and letting my arm hang straight down. Then make small circle with my arm straighten to move the shoulder. Do take your time recovering your shoulder cause it'll never be the same again.

14. FyrFytrRyn

FyrFytrRyn RTB to a WNL

estudiante'/naysayer
    Grade 2 on June 17th 2013. I was in a sling for 1.4 weeks then started PT. I'm almost 4 months post injury and it feels almost normal. I'm back to push-ups and I can press 35lbs again. Flys are a little bit of an issue, but it should be fine. Take it easy, because you can make it worse in a hurry.