A tale of two bike shops

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by SAR_boats, Jun 13, 2007.

1. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

The Path has great customer service . I like to stop in the shop just to talk to the guys there . They will help you out.
    Maybe they didn't have your info correct. You have to understand how many people they talk to everyday.
    Many times people try to bring things back that where clearly beat to death. Then the customer says I went off a curb and this is what happened. It is hard to tell what the life span a wheel set is if you don't know the history of the wheels. I myself will not rebuild used wheels. I like to play it safe with all new parts. I think they also like to play it safe and go by well writen guidlines. This shop I think for sure needs a second chance. They Rock!
    I would have my wheels built at the path for sure.:):beer:

Jason

[email protected]
    Chumbaracing.com

2. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

This thread is done, right? :clap:

3. spookydave

spookydave A little dab will do me

32 bucks to build a wheel. Just think about that. I bet after he pays his guy (prolly not a new shop squid doing that) and then pays all the bs just to have the guy working there only about 6 bucks goes in the till. wow

yeah, I'd say Auk was spot on when he said the little local shops that we all love (or hate) so much don't do it for the money.

4. sauce

sauce New Member

Dissertation writing
    Home Page:
    I'm sorta shocked that the "f*ck" remark wasn't edited out. George, are you snoozing or what? The STR Godfather is getting soft.

I haven't been on STR for a while (crazy busy stress!), but I heard about this thread. I've been working at The Path now for a month, and I've been around my share of bike shops (including working at one 5 years ago). I can honestly say that The Path is more concerned about customer service than any other place I've worked ... and I've worked a TON of odd jobs. Nobody can nail it every time. Nobody is perfect. I think you have to go into a shop more than once before you cast huge, sprawling and uninformed judments ... you might be pleasently surprised. Just a thought.

5. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    I really do appreciate the apology Tani. I understand that as one of the more well respected bike shops in SoCal that you guys service a great many individuals.
    I guess I was one of the few that fell through the cracks.

If you would like, I would be more than happy to bring the wheels in (although they are straight now) for you to take a look at, and to discuss this matter face to face.

I do see your point in the "getting personal" aspect of things. I meant nothing personal to you or the shop by starting this thread. I was very careful not to name names or insult anyone, but it does show that you take great pride in your business, and that you put a lot of yourself into your shop, and I respect that.

I am very glad that because of this thread (directly or indirectly) that it has helped you guys out.

Sarah, congrats on your job at The Path. I am glad that you are enjoying your time there.

My statement was sprawling in length but not in content. I never said "don't shop there" or anything to that effect. I never said "if you shop here, then this will happen" or "this always happens at this shop". I simply posted what happened, and my view of what should have happend, and everyone who read it can make up their own damn mind.

My judgement was very informed, I have had quite a bit of work done there, on all of my bikes, and bought a few parts too. Just because you didn't see me there, or you weren't in at the time, doesn't mean that I visited the shop once. I am sure that you have seen one or more of my bikes there but since we've never been riding together, I don't expect you to know mine from anyone elses.

Sarah, I have been mountain biking for 12 years. I have done business with several bike shops over the years, and I believe you when you say that customer service is a priority at The Path, in my case it didn't quite make it.

I feel that I was left out of the decision making process regarding what was being done to my property. I made assumptions in thinking that re-tensioning was covered, and (I think) the persons I talked too assumed that I knew it wasn't.

Just because I posted something that wasn't popular doesn't make it incorrect, it doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about, but it also doesn't preempt people choosing where and who they have work on their bikes.

If you are a patron of The Path and are happy, great! I am glad that you have found a shop that treats you as you want to be treated.

If you do not frequent The Path and you have decided not to because of this post, then you need to make up your own mind about it. For as many people are unhappy with their The Path, I am sure there are more that are loyal customers. Otherwise they wouldn't be in business.

God, I hope so.

=======
    Just an update for anyone who cares. I took the wheels in question (the ones I had built by The Path and trued up by Tim at Switchback) out to the Loop today.

They are still straight. I guess everything seated and my problem has been solved.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2007
  6. SAR_boats

consultant
    Home Page:
    Mitigating circumstances aside, you do have a point, i.e. if you want a job done right, do it yourself

7. SAR_boats

consultant
    Home Page:
    Just as a follow up to this, I spoke with Tani over the phone and we agreed that the root of the problems that I had was a mutual misunderstanding between myself and the persons I talked to.

We have, I think, worked out our differences, and are on good terms. While I will not be shopping at Tani's shop any more, I will say this: If you are loking for a bike shop, try out The Path. Their selection is excellent and the staff is knowledgeable. Obviously not everyone falls into the same situation that I did, otherwise they would not be in business.

I am glad that this matter is settled and Tani and I were able to work things out in a civilized manner.

BTW Tani, It was good to see you at the Loop the other day.

8. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 New Member

I picked up a Hope QR seat collar at The Bike Co. for $37...ouch and couldn't believe it when I saw it regularly priced at $25 when I was at The Path. Most small shops are full boat retail, take it or leave it, but I like The Path because you get good service and they really make an attempt to have good competitive prices. I don't feel a need to shop online most of the time now because I know The Path is pretty close most of the time and I get good service.

9. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing

That makes 2 of us.... And beyond the persoanalized service it feels good to support local business and people that you actually interact with...:beer:

10. guero

guero iFroth

werd up to The Path, as most of you know i bought my kona dawg primo at their latest sale with an upgraded fork and wheelset and tani hooked that shit up, giving me credit for the stock fork and wheels and raul made it happen within 45 minutes or so by swapping out the new fork and wheelset and throwing on my thomson stem and crank bros pedals all while i shot the shit with the str bubbs and ate a FREE cheeseburger and drank a FREE soda and munched on some FREE chips. i'll gladly sit in traffic while driving to The Path from Long Beach vs. ordering online from some internet "retailer". (except jenson in some cases....that was for pakiha)

11. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    So you actually got the Kona Dawg Primo Meal Deal that comes with the free toy:lol::lol::lol: