4x Bikes...

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Jman, Jan 13, 2008.

1. destroyer

destroyer I build jumps

I run a 2.1 WTB weirwolf, and have pretty good luck compared to a few others. I want to try the Kenda small block.

2. Nagaredama

Nagaredama New Member

I think the Pyslo weight 4 lbs, pretty respectable for $100!.

What do the Minute's cost?

3. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

i looked into the minutes after bob's suggestion... they're selling for $670 #-o

4. Nagaredama

Nagaredama New Member

$670, I'll save my money and lose some weight off my mid-section for free.

5. Jman

Jman Live Free, Ride Hard

Home Page:
    Those Psylo's are heavy but they can sure take a pounding. I did finally replace mine but I ran one on my Bullit when we had a construction site behind where I live and I just about blew it up jumping the plots (3 foot drops and all to flat). It worked really well though.

6. BobBurnes

BobBurnes Silverback Racing CEO

USAF Combat Search and Rescue
    Home Page:
    The Psylo weighs in at about 4.45lbs with the 20mm thru-axle. And for 100 bucks...well, hard to beat that price! The Minute runs about 749, but if you can find them for 670, get 'em!

I've got to tell you though, these are best forks I've felt in a long long time. Right out of the box, they felt smooth and with just a few adjustments for my weight, like butta'. I've felt this kind of performance before-but it didn't last long. I won't mention the company, but it ended up costing me a race because a certain feature gave out. Turned out to be a common problem with that feature for the 2007 model.

I ran the Minute through the extremes, full fast, full slow, locked out, unlocked and finally dialled in. Honestly, after all the forks I've sampled, Manitou's got it right. I like to run them with 1/2 lock out for the 4X course, locked out for the BMX tracks, and full on in the Bootleg Canyon runs.

I can't say how much of a beating they'll take until the end of my 2008 season, but I imagine they'll do just fine:bang:.

This is the first line of Manitou's since being purchased by Hayes Bicycle Group and if this is the standard of their production, you can expect big things from Manitou in the years to come.

7. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

i think i need to spend some more time on my bike with a shorter travel fork... i think i'm gonna set my z1 to 5" again and get used to the quick steering.. wish it had a firmer low speed compression damping tho

8. Nagaredama

Nagaredama New Member

At 4.45 lbs the Psylo is still lighter than a Marz 4X WC.

Usually at the BMX track the stiffer the better I can't imagine the Fontana 4X course being that rocky.

How much does your Dialled weigh?

9. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I ran my fork ridiculously stiff (although in the 140 mm mode). The 4X fork looks like it's fairly tall, but I don't know anything about it.

I would be very hesitant to buy the first two years of a new product from Manitou. I was bit many years ago, and then they came out with the Minute line. I got a Minute II in 2004, only to have problems with the damper unit. My contact at Manitou said it was a known problem, so he sent me a damper unit for an 05 model. When that started having problems, he again said it was a known problem and I would need yet another damper unit. My Sherman Breakout+ initially had a bunch of problems as well.

Granted, Manitou is a new company (under the HB Group), but I'd give it time. Unless it's free. :lol:

10. Jman

Home Page:
    Well I did it guys! I ran my first 4x and while I did come in last with only one run allowed but it was fun. I wanted to say thanks to Lee and Ricky for their advice and David, Sharky and Dino for the support on the course. I know my bike needs a few changes to it and I think the 4x bug has bit me so now its back to the bike shop! Still the Chameleon ran pretty good considering. The tires bit well (even though they're 6 years old) and I felt smooth on the course (slow as heck but smooth). A full face helmet, some goggles, and elbow pads would be a wise choice as well. Still, I'll be out there on the 9th givin' it another try! Thanks again guys for the encouragement

11. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

awsome I'll be out for the next race too, my chain was way to long and I couldnt use my middle gear today so I'm going to dial her in this week

12. Jman

Home Page:
    I think I probably needed to drop down one more cog myself for a bit more power. I know I pedaled but I probably coul've pedaled a bit more and maybe even shifted. ;)

I ran the front fork at about 100mm instead of the full 140, what would running it at 140 do, besides giving me a more laid back feel. I'm thinking maybe loosen the steering up a bit but I may be off. (and that may not be the best for the berms)

13. BobBurnes

Home Page:
    The official weight, as completed at my work with a calibrated scale, was 25.9 lbs. Super light. Only three pounds heavier than my XC bike. I haven't raced it yet (Today was supposed to be the first race on the new rig-but a flu bug beat me and my family down).

The Dialled is available for demos at all the Southridge events...given I'm there. :D

14. BobBurnes

Home Page:
    The best way to explain this, is to run it. Give yourself a good run at about 65% with the fork at 100mm. Then give it another run with the fork at 140mm.

You'll also have to consider your rebound and compression for this test. Run the forks with about 15% sag (I know most fork companies say 20-25%). Adjust the rebound and compression to your comfort levels then toss it down the track. Give yourself a few runs on each setting.

I nearly forgot-How was the start gate????? Did they get it sorted or was the rubberband in full effect???

Cheers!

15. Rockinthecasbah

it was full rubberband effect I was gettiing horrible starts lee freakin nailed it. It was good revenge for the riders that ride flats because people running clips were hating life at the start

16. Nagaredama

Nagaredama New Member

What is the gate like?

How deep was each class?

17. BobBurnes

Home Page:

MAN! And I've been practicing my standing starts for two weeks! I'll get my chance next time.

Good to hear Lee was rocking the gates again! How'd you do Sharky?

18. Rockinthecasbah

I think we should get a gate donation going on I'm willing to weld it up if we can get the metal

19. BobBurnes

Home Page:
    I'm very much into that. I've designed and built three gates in the UK. I'd be more than happy to plan it and help build it. :bang:

20. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

My bike got 3rd !!!!:bang:
    My buddy didn't show that had planned to race on it so was excited to see Brandon step up and he did my baby proud. My bike is still smiling. Love to see how STR is getting in on the 4X...not sure when I will race but someday?? Not saying when.... but definitely love riding 4X.