3d Printed Headset Press

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by babu9000, Sep 14, 2014.

1. babu9000

babu9000 New Member

I have always used the 3/4" bolt with big washers and carefully tightened the nuts to install head sets. Sometimes the cups go in straight and sometimes you have to start over. I refused to pay the $100+ for the Park tool because I am cheap and in my opinion they made it waaaaay more complicated than it needs to be. Maybe its good for a shop that does a few headset a week, but for garage mechanics it would get used once in a blue moon and I could not justify the cost.

So I have been doing some work with this guy and he gave me a 3D printer to make prototypes for him. I decided to make some headset press adapters. These ones were designed for semi-integrated cups and tapered head tube. They worked flawlessly. The cups pressed in like butter. Straight and square. I am going to make another set for standard straight 1-1/8" head tube with external cups.

photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2014
  2. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    What 3d printer do you have? We have one for our Engineering program, but we've encountered a few issues with quality of the product.

3. babu9000

babu9000 New Member

It is a PrintrBot Plus. I am printing with PLA. Wasn't too bad to get up and running. I experimented a little with extruder temperatures mostly. They are not a hit print and go type of product. You kinda have to keep an eye on the first few layers to make sure its printing right. I just started working with this one and my next mission is to improve on the resolution. But if you are not looking for too much detail, its great to get an idea of form and function.

Feel free to private message me if there is anything i can help you guys with.

4. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Thanks will do. Good job applying it to bike mechanic stuff like this press!

5. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    Very nice. Are the pieces circular? In the picture, they look a bit polygonal. I'm not critiquing, just curious about what you can/can't do with it. Can you load it up with different materials? I'm thinking bushings would be a cool bike project. Not that it would be easier or cheaper than store-bought, but it would certainly be cooler.

6. babu9000

babu9000 New Member

They are a little squared off. I think I can get them better. Still playing with the settings. I had to bore they inner diameter to .750" because it printed at .700". As far as I know PrintrBot uses PLA or ABS. I've had pretty good luck so far with the PLA. If the part is designed correctly, the sky is limit in my view as far as getting a good, quick look at form and function. I made changes to the first printed part and in an hour I had gen 2 in my hands. It's awesome! I'm going to start work on a couple more tool concepts this week.

7. g-dub

g-dub Member

This technology is coming along so fast. Folks are not too far off from getting something like this to work with continuous carbon fibers.

Interesting speculation: in 20 years, will a bike shop's inventory be a box of printer cartridges, and will we buy our bikes on iTunes?

8. trailninja

trailninja Going Slideways!!!!

Quality Engineer
    2 yrs past.....Still have access to a 3D printer? Any new inventions in the works? I have access to mfg. STR Project anyone? ;)