2wheel-Lee's Adventure in Frame Building

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by 2wheel_lee, Feb 15, 2009.

1. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Although I still have some final touches left before paint, I'm also pretty excited how well it's come along. I'm also really excited about taking what I've learned and building the next two singlespeeds for my wife and I.

I don't have many more under-construction photos to show, so it won't be too long until I post the final frame photos prior to paint.

2. mtnbkrdavid

mtnbkrdavid Let's Ride

Technical Training Instructor for Nissan North Ame
    It looks great Lee. Sounds like a fun project, can't wait to see the rest of the pictures. :clap:

3. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

indeed lee, I think I would like building a frame. I can build something that fits me and is unique, and I just love designing/building things anyway. amusingly, my garage looks kinda like yours right now, and I don't think I even have a 5'x5' area with all the bikes (I think I'm up to 6 or 7 in there right now, with another one on the way in a few weeks)

I always wondered about whether brazing was stronger or weaker than TIG. my instinct says the TIG, since brazing just feels like soldering things together (which I know it isn't), but I have no knowledge of either way.

If you did want to break into trying to TIG, you could try the fullerton hackerspace, I think that they have a tig setup for people to use. they also have metalworking machines, so you could build many things that might be hard to source from a frame supplier (odd sized BB shells, 1.5 steel headtubes, custom dropouts, stay yokes, etc).

oh, and if anyone doubts the good looks of a brazed frame, go find the rootbeer colored frames here and you will see: http://www.blackcatbicycles.com/

4. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

With brazing you are less likely to overheat the tubes and make them brittle ;)

5. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Lee can you help be build a single speed. Ill pay.

6. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    Just a tip... maybe helpful, maybe not...

Don't be afraid to put a little more heat to the work. Not necessarily a hotter flame, but maybe a bigger flame. The material will flow better. Use the flame to point and guide the material where you want it to go.

That's it. Your finished work looks good. I bet you can't wait to take her out for a test ride.

7. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Danny, I'm sorry that I can only thank you once. I currently have my plate full for a long time, including our two singlespeeds, a mama cheri (I'm pretty sure you remember what that is), and...uh...maybe a tandem. At my working pace, I should be finished by 2016. However, many of the hobbies I've had in my life have turned into careers, so who knows. Remind me when I'm done with the above frames, and you can be first on the list. Bryan once asked, but I'm sure he'll have already built his first frame by then. ;) Check, check...1...2...is The Force working here? Did you get that Bryan? You will build a frame. Excuse me, I start rambling when I'm sick.

That's part of what I'm practicing with - more time less heat or more heat and less time? I've got the concept down of moving the brass around with the heat. But still need to get better. I was thinking on simply trying a Victor #2 tip (using a #1 now). But that wold seem to imply that I'm blaming the equipment. lots of guys use a #1, but also a lot of guys use a #2.

8. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    maybe I should stop being lazy and make a bike. I have the ability.:)

9. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

oh I will build a frame. unfortunately, the frames I'm interested in building require a bit more strength than I'm likely to expect out of my first few frames.

on the list:
    DH bikes. FS, Hardtail, tandem? :-k

I've got the hardtail planned out already:
    565mm A2C
    63.5* static HA (goes to 64.5 @ sag)
    11-12" BB height
    16.75" stays
    83/150 BB/rearend
    1.5 HT
    cold, hard steel

it'll be a sick fontana bike :lol:

however, I CAN already use machine tools, so if you need custom stuff made, I could probably make it happen. you know you want to design your own sliding dropout system for those single speeds. I'm thinking a dovetail to keep everything in alignment...

10. Sailor Ripley

Sailor Ripley New Member

Mortgage Loan Originator
    Yeah! You're on the right track! I worked for a custom frame manufacturer for several years and bossman used to avoid frame making as much as possible. Acetylene bmbs, super cool shooting galleries, etc...all were far more entertaining and helped us maintain late deliveries! We had fun!

Have fun with the project...