27.5"/650b rear tire recommendations

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by exrcyst, Feb 8, 2013.

1. exrcyst

exrcyst Member

My ideal tire is tubeless, durable, has good cornering grip, low rolling resistance, and is lightweight. Basically it would be a double defense 2.25 Racing Ralph. I'm okay with the weight penalty because that tire could probably run without sealant (sealant has proven to be useless 90% of my punctures) Current front tire is a Nobby Nic 2.35. I'm in no rush, so your recommendations can be tires that are coming out later this year. I'll just keep patching my Racing Ralphs. Any rear recommendations?

2. strobe

strobe resident noob

I've run the...

Quasi-moto. Light. Knobs don't last long enough and thin sidewalls. Good climber when new though.

Racing Ralph. Light. Decent volume. Good grip if you get pressures right, but, then add a bit of rolling resistance. Sidewalls are horribly thin. I don't think i can depend on this sidewall for a long ride. I took it off to train for Counting Coup. I would've hated repairing that tire halfway down Motorway.

Crossmark. Lightish. Good rolling resistance and traction for climbing. Sidewalls aren't EXO or snakeskin, but, seem durable enough. I'm not using the exception series though, so, i'm not sure how flimsy those would be. I would only use this on the rear. I have seen some ppl cut the round knobs for better corning traction and would probably do that if used in the front.

That said, i use a heavier tire for the sidewall protection in the front and worry less about it in the rear as long as its not paper thin (RaRa). If you like the NoNi's, i would run that in the rear and maybe a Hans Dampf up front. I like Ardents as well, but, 650b version doesn't have EXO and only 2.25. I currently run a 29er Ardent 2.4 up front and 650b Crossmark in back. They seem to work well together for my rigid SS.

Disclaimer: I run tubes, so, that may rule out Maxxis even more since sometimes they don't play well with Stan's.

3. exrcyst

exrcyst Member

Thanks for going through almost every tire that exists right now. A friend was recommending the Crossmarks today, but I've also heard of the blistering issues. Maybe one day they'll have a LUST version.

I'm leaning towards Nobby Nic 2.35 or Hans Dampf 2.25 in the rear. They are within 5g of each other, so which one? Both will have more than enough grip for my application. My understanding would be the Nobby Nic would wear faster but have superior rolling efficiency with the pacestar compound and being wider. I have no experience on a Hans Dampf or the trailstar compound, but I would assume it would provide longer tread life, and be the slower tire? Removing the compound and width differences from the equation, I'm not sure which tread design would be the more efficient roller. Sorry, getting sidetracked. =P

4. strobe

strobe resident noob

Actually, there are many more 650b tires out there than what i listed. Ritchey Shield, Vee Rubber Mission & Trail Taker, Vredestein Black Panther & Spotted Cat to name a few. I only listed what treads i've tried (except for HD which i would love as a front).

Hans Dampf also comes in pacestar compound. I would run NoNi rear only because i have heard others say it rolls pretty well for a knobby tire. It has good opinions for a front as well, but, i've only heard good things about the HD as a front. Most describe it like the Ardent for easy rolling and cornering grip, but, better intermediate knobs where the Ardent feels vague.

The blistering is what i was taking about with Maxxis and Stan's.