2015 Redlands Strada Rossa --> March 21st

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by cyclotourist, Jan 8, 2015.

1. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

Hello all, I wanted to get this info out as soon as it was finalized, and you're the first to know! This year's Strada Rossa is going to be on March 21st. Last year's event was a rousing success with 135 riders. We ran out of food but not beer! This year we are hoping to expand to 200 riders, and are adding a 50km route in addition to the 100km route.

In addition to adding the second shorter route, we are going to have a Friday night pre-ride party out in the canyon, and Sunday are also going to have a post-ride ride up in the foothills behind us.

I mentioned the possibility of having a fee this year, and we are going to be doing that. It's actually going to be a membership in the IEBA, which is $25. It helps with insurance, and it supports the regional non-profit bicycle advocacy group. Nobody's trying to get rich off this.

I love being a part of this event, and hope we can get as many SCTR folks to come out as possible. It's a real blast, put on by good people who simply love bikes. About half of it is non-technical dirt, the other half back roads. A bit of the techy stuff, and a bit of busy roads. The hope is to raise awareness of Inland Empire riding (specifically in Redlands), to get some cross-pollination from the various bicycle communities, and MOST importantly, to have a good time on two wheels!

Info will be posted on the RSR blog: http://redlands-strada-rossa.blogspot.com/as well as on the IEBA facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Inland-Empire-Biking-Alliance/156207984434074. They'll probably have a specific event page for it in a bit.

Thanks for the support from last year, and I hope to see a bunch of you this year!

David

Edit 3/15: Maps are posted on Ride w/ GPS and can be found by going to either the blog or facebook event page.

2. emejay

emejay most annoying avatar

dentist
    Thanks for the heads-up.....I went last year and it was a blast! I have ridden many century road rides, many pure MTB rides, but never a mixed surface event that was a little bit of everything with some navigating required. I found my 29er perfect for the event. The people I met were all friendly and in for a good ride (somebody was handing out cold PBRs just before the last big climb...thanks!)....I discovered places to ride I never would have known, and the beer at the end was cold and in a nice Strada Rosa mug.
    Kudos for having such a fun event! I'm getting psyched up!

3. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

THANKS for the great feedback! There really isn't any wrong bike for it, which is the point! Some riders were on 23mm skinnies, some on FS MTBs. Each had their moments to shine. A cross bike with some 35-40mm knobbs would probably come closest to nailing it best IMHO. But really, run whatcha' brung! Hopefully it won't be so hot this time. Last year the next weekend was drizzly, so never know what to expect.

4. CarlS

CarlS Member

yes!

noooooooooo!!!!!

I should be there this year. got horrible sick and missed it last year

5. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

Unfortunately seems like we can't have one without the other! Now stay healthy!

6. hav77

hav77 Member

Environmental Planner
    Oh yes! Hoping to make it out this time around.

7. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

Pre-rode the 50k route Monday... fantastic!

[​IMG]

8. Sir Laplack

Sir Laplack New Member

This looks like a lot of fun.

9. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

10. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

And we're live! Please check out the blog for links to registration as well as the FB page: http://redlands-strada-rossa.blogspot.com/2015/01/registration-is-open.html

Edited to show $25 price ($15 IEBA membership + $10 ride registration)

Price is $25, but that does include a year IEBA membership which is total bike advocacy in the IE. There are two routes, the main 100km and a 1/2 50km route. 4/5 of the 50km is on the 100km route, so there will be a lot of bikes out there! The metric century has a lot climbing on it, but it also throws in some fantastic dirt sections in Calimesa and Yucaipa.

Thanks again for the support and hope we can get a big fat-tire contingent to show!

11. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Member

family law attorney
    what percentage is dirt vs. pavement on the 50K version?

12. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

Approximately 17km on the 50km route is dirt, and more importantly, 45km of the 100km. The longer route has a higher percentage of dirt including singletrack, but a lot more road miles to get to it. If you think you can, I'd advise people to try for the 100km route. If it's just not happening, there are several bail out points, particularly @ the 26km mark split for the two routes.

Love the "Bikes not advised" sign BTW!

13. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Member

family law attorney
    I signed up for the 50K because I have to be back in Orange County by 4:00 pm and I'm riding a mountain bike. If the longer version has more dirt and bail out points, maybe I'll just do 50K of the longer version. Or do they start out exactly the same? Does the 50K have a lot of climbing? I do have a cyclocross bike but it has that darn cyclocross gearing.

What if I went left on San Timoteo instead of right and cut out 20 miles of the 66 mile course? (assuming it's the same course as the mapmyride I'm looking at)

14. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

I'd recommend the cross bike for the 50km. There are no steep/sustained climbs on that one, and you'll like it more on the streets. I rode it Saturday at a VERY meandering pace, taking pics, stopping to talk to other riders, and generally in no hurry. That took me less than four hours with zero training. And if you can throw a lower-ranged cassette and chainring on it, the CX bike would still be great for the 100km as well. But there is DEFINITELY some more climbing on the 100km. I'd want a 26X34 low at least, but that's me. Mark from the IEBA tears it up on his road bike w/ 39X28 gearing.

15. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Member

family law attorney
    I don't know if you've ever noticed but, in addition to not having climbing gears, cross bikes don't have any brakes either. My next "cross" bike will be a HT racing mountain bike. Same weight, none of the bad stuff.

16. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    Sweetpea,

I've been lurking on this topic for a while as I recently bought a cross bike. I'm 90% in for this ride to see if I want to participate in future gravel grinder rides around the West - for the experience not the race. I'll keep in touch. Say Hi to Winston for me.

17. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

Brakes!?!?!? Why, they just slow you down!!! :)

Really though, canti-CX bikes are fine. I ride my SSCX over hill and dale and love it: http://redlands-strada-rossa.blogspot.com/2014/12/oh-weather-outside-is-frightful.html)(actual RSR singletrack show!)

Hope you make it to that last 10%! We had 135 riders last year, and are capping it at a hopeful 200 this year. If it starts getting close to that number, I'll post here and elsewhere to motivate those on-the-fencers to commit!

18. Sir Laplack

Sir Laplack New Member

Duke,

Are you thinking of doing the 50km or the 100km?

19. 1FG rider

1FG rider The G is for Gear

Its a secret...
    I'm thinking about doing this one also. It'll give me a chance to put some longer saddle time on the Straggler.

20. CarlS

CarlS Member

I just went through this same thought process with my current bike build. So after riding with a guy on CX bike and watching him stand to mash out 3500 feet in 9 miles then only to turn round and white knuckle it back down.... no thanks. I'm building a Niner Air 9 RDO. Hope to be riding it for the Stradda Rosa.