2012 Tour de France

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by BROWNIE, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Mountain Bike Forum Owner
    Home Page:
    I agree with losing the radio's. This aint NASCAR. You lose all the cool strategy. I agree with dirtmistress, every day is becoming a rerun. And who tossed the tacks!!!

Luxembourger.....:lol:

2. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Interestingly, Frank Schleck issued a statement claiming he has been poisoned. Exactly as I suspected.

3. BROWNIE

BROWNIE I'm good at recess!

work
    Frankie S. is OUT! Was sitting in 12th at +9:45. I was hoping that he would start worrying about himself with Andy sitting out this year, maybe they really do need each other to ride...

4. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Not so fast cowboy. Frank was semi implicated paying the notorious Dr. Ferrari huge sums of money awhile ago. Details at your local Google search.
    I'd search but I just took an ambien and need to look at stuff quick before it hittsgg me;ew//

5. ManInAShed

ManInAShed New Member

Destroyer of worlds.
    Holy crap, Voeckler mixed a little gunpowder in his morning whiskey.

Hell of a win! Yellow Jersey MIA.

No radio necessary...

6. dirtmistress

retired
    He's awesome! No radio indeed! He Killed it today!

7. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Mountain Bike Forum Owner
    Home Page:
    Voeckler! Did it oldschool. At least he shook it up! My new hero....

8. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    More pain tomm.- about 13,000' climbing. ~30K climbing for two days. Ouch.

Lotto made some moves today, but blew up. Nibali, by himself, just doesn't have the legs to make something stick. Basso showed up for awhile but he's a shadow of himself these days. Liqui just don't have the legs for this when it tilts up.

I'll be curious to see if Sky can handle Contador this way (big train, high pace) in the Vuelta next month. All things equal, I think AC is still be best climber out there and should dust Froome on the climbs but, not sure if AC has the team to win overall.

9. nailknot

nailknot Member

destruction of material
    Nice to see Nibali give it a few attempts today but without any team mates with him it will be a tough undertaking to get away from Froome and Wiggo. I see Wiggo in yellow in Paris, maybe Nibali can put in a great ITT to take over second place?

As for radios...I say use them for the first 2/3rds of the race, once they reach a certain point out on the course the radios get shut off. Monitor all frequencies and if someone is caught using them fine the team some euros and add time to all of that team's riders. That way everyone is encouraged not to speak on the radios for fear of adding time to the top riders.

10. rjcsocal

rjcsocal Member

He looks a bit too much like Robin Williams to me, but I love what he brings to the tour. He loves to stick his thumb in the status quo's eye. The yellow jersey race is so boring this year -- it is like the US Postal/Discovery days. I hope someone guts themselves tomorrow to try and make something happen. Maybe Evans will go for a stage win to salvage his tour. Eh. . .

11. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    Wiggins look in good form for the olympics

12. dirtmistress

retired
    A small 200 euro fine is a cool idea but I disagree on time penalties.
    Coming into urban areas where there are so many obstacles would be a good place to use them. During a TT where the DS is just yelling in your ear to gogogo is unnecessary in my opinion and if you do the correct research, you should know where all the 'traffic furniture' is before you get to it.

13. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

How about Tejay?

The young American has a lock on the white jersey and is free to fly now that Cadel is out of contention for even a podium spot. Barring any accidents or doping violations, Wiggins and Froome will be a much deserved 1 and 2 and I expect Nibali should be able to hold onto a much deserved 3rd--he attacked as best he could but Froome and Wiggins are on another level altogether.

Van den Broeck is currently 4th with Tejay and Cadel 5th and 6th.

It looks like Tejay's vastly superior in the TT (as is Cadel) to Van den Broeck and could put some serious time into that guy and could take over his 4th spot. Cadel, another minute and a half down on Tejay will probably not be able to pass Van den Broeck.

Spots 1-3 and the Green Jersey has been kind of boring. Mountains is over--that went well with Voeckler heroically taking it.

The only fun left to be had is watching the #4 spot and the final sprint in Paris--you know that Sagan, Cavendish, Greipel, Farrar and many others want that BAD. I bet Sky will do a great leadout train (including Wiggins) next to Greipel's Lotto train on the Champs-Elysees and doesn't allow Sagan the chance to take the win.

It's been kind of a boring Tour. I hope everyone is back next year (i.e. Andy, Alberto) and that things are more competitive, no crashes claim contenders. The Vuelta and Olympics might be funner to watch than the Tour this year, although I have always found the Olympic cycling events to be boring for some reason. I guess I like stage races better.

14. jcampbell

jcampbell going Gods speed since 75

Believer, Husband and Father.
    Home Page:
    Probably because in 08 you could not even decipher who was who with all that Beijing smog.

15. bikerider

bikerider New Member

Yeah Le Tour is definitely lacking the fireworks this year. Cadel was too old to win the Tour anyhow. I do like how Horner, who only got a last minute invite, sits 13th at 40 years old! I'm thinking Schleck might be right about somebody slipping him something. He went to the police, I'm sure to ask them to start an investigation. Johan couldn't get back at Andy, so took it out on Frank. I'm sure there will be plenty of drama and conspiracy theories around this.

16. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

Horner would actually be doing much better if his Team hadn't burned him in the first week. He's had to work for Kloden.

17. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    I dig the final sprint too. Crazy speed and moves.

18. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Am I the only one who thinks it's been exciting Tour? Sorry folks it doesn't have the drama of years past but I have found it quite entertaining. True the yellow jersey has been spoken for a while now but to watch all the other sprints, climbs, positioning going, on has been great for me. The team aspect has really come to light this year with Froome being faster then Wiggins but sticking to the company line and working for the original intended goal of keeping Wiggins in yellw. Yesterday's stage where he waited numerous times for Wiggins was an example of how good he really can be. He will be Alberto's main rival next year. And same goes for Teejay, really sad he didn't get the go ahead earlier and he might of got on the podium. As I first posted before the Tour started I didn't think Cadel's form was there and he proved it. Chris Horner has always been my favorite to watch and again had he had the support of his team, who knows where he could of ended up. Watching Levi get dropped wasn't unexpected considering what he went through this year and he could be the one to give AC and Froome a real test next year, we will have to see how his training works next year but I think he has it just needs to put it all together. I don't think Radio Shack will stay together as a tem after the tour so we will see another shake up in the teams with some more teams becoming powerhouses. I could be wrong though, I doubt it. Not sure what to think of Franks doping allegations but who in the world would try to dope in this sport today? Only a freekin idiot and I don't think he is but again I could be wrong.

19. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I was bored now I am just annoyed. To me it seems like some of the team leaders are holding the younger riders back. Move over older riders and let the youngsters show us what they have. Tried of someone else dragging your old tried ass around. Ya I get the respect and tradition stuff but when I feel like the best and strongest ride may not win I loose interest. I liked it when the top riders where out front and you new they where constantly trying to wear the others out. This calculating tour by Wiggins does not make for good TV. Still like looking at the county side.

I agree with dropping the radios.

20. jimw2112

jimw2112 Member

soils tech
    I agree. I still think of TdF as a RACE. I don't race. When I watch a race I expect to see anyone who thinks they can win, actually trying to WIN! I've been watching the tour on and off since LeMond, and it seems like this year faster riders are commonly bieng required to WAIT (!?) for their Maestro. Oh well. They hopefully won't be doing this during the Olympics. On Aside: I thought dogs on the loose were only a concern at ValParaiso!!!