2012 Marzocchi 55 Micro Switch TA vs. Fox TALAS 36 RLC Kashima

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by herzalot, Nov 7, 2011.

1. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    So let's review. After I announce that I bought the Marz and had it installed, Brian and 92ser tell me to try the Lyric. Then I'm informed that Marzocchi may be going out of business. Awesome!

Fork was good again today, confidence inspiring for sure - but I broke my derailleur cable in such a manner that I could only use the smallest cog. The cable snapped descending Lynx. Today I decided to change it up and I parked at Top of the World...

Nice day for a hike...#-o

2. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I would have said something earlier about marzocchi but it is new to me also. Rumer is Zoke USA may stay around

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

3. reerun

reerun New Member

Damn this is shitty news for sure, I just bought a 2011 55 RC3 Ti, I had my first ride on it today at Santiago Oaks and it is also the

hope they stick around

4. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

friends dont let friends not at least try the awesomeness that is a lyrik DH. :lol:

My offer stands on letting you try mine out. I just rebuilt it, and its feeling pretty sweet right now. just let me know.

Good to hear you're liking the 55 though. they look like nice forks. I also was under the impression that Marzocchi USA will be staying in business, but who knows these days.

5. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    lol, dont get me wrong, i love marzocchi's 2010+ stuff. i had a 888 evo ti, drool. loved that fork. for an am fork, i think i prefer the lyrik dh damper better. i feel like i can fine tune the lsc better on it, even with the expense of some small bump, which nothing beats marzzochi. so yeah, if i was riding a 55rc3ti, id probably be recommending that, but since i own a lyrik dh partly because of weight too, im just saying you cant go wrong with it.

6. lesserevilcycling

lesserevilcycling New Member

General Manager at Buena Park Bicycles
    Marzocchi fan since I got my dad a Micro 44 Ti. He loves its, I rode it as well and fell in love. I was just fed up with the customer service from Fox, I have to warranty/service like 4-5 forks/Shocks per week. Fox turn around is the worst, it takes about 3-4 weeks to get it back.

7. Nagaredama

Nagaredama New Member

Herzalot, any update on the fork?

Are you able to get full travel out of the fork on some the more gnar Laguna trails? How is the Micro damper working?

Thanks!

8. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    just got a hookup for xfusion. gonna be trying the vengeance next. hear nothing but good things about it.

9. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    Yes and yes. I have been running at 110psi and get about 85-90% travel on gnarlier trails, 85% blasting Rock-It. I am tempted to drop two psi, but it's feeling great now. The micro damper seems to work to provide a little pushback on slower, deeper compressions - in other words, it seems to counteract brake dive. I have the micro adjuster cranked all the way clockwise, then use the four-position lever to select open - some resistance or full lock (pavement only). I am told that I should do an oil change now that she's broken in. I'll report after I do that.

BTW, I pedaled around on the Devinci DH bike at Fontana, and it felt like it pedaled really well.

10. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    You and Brian Lopes... I hope you like it - I have only heard good things.

11. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

im not sure if my new float is broken in but so far im not impressed at all.....small bump compliance sucks so much compared to my 2011 revelation dual position....not to mention im not getting full travel......i want to take it back to the path but dont want to be bikeless.....i knew i should have went with the lyric dh :(

12. Salespunk

Salespunk New Member

Oil transfer from the lower slider into the air chamber is the problem. They added a foam wiper to the shaft that separates the two chambers. Just remove the foam wiper and it is all good in about 20 minutes of work. This is a known problem BTW, I have fixed a few for friends and my own as well. Let me know if you have specific questions or need help.

13. proraptor

i know nothing about fox forks....its my first one. thanks for the info

14. reerun

reerun New Member

Proraptor with the amount of lusciousness you carry im surprised you dont go coil front and back you wont notice the weight and performance is so much better leave the air for the weight wennie lycra dudes

15. Nagaredama

Nagaredama New Member

Thanks for the update! Looks like that is direction I'll go. With any air fork I'm worried about being to use all of the travel.

I no longer own a Devinci unfortunately. The new Wilson is a great bike.

16. proraptor

yeah i probably should have....i stuck with air though cause the last coil shock i owned was back in 1994 and im so used to the air feel.
    b
    tw i just measured how much travel im gettin with my new 160mm fox 36.....im getting a lame 140mm travel.....so frustrating especially with the amount of money you pay

17. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    Proraptor you will need to drop air pressure in the Fox to about 70% of recommended. Recommended for me was 75-80, and I had to run it around 60 to get any plushness and most of the travel. Fork dive was then a problem, but I prefer plushness and control. I finally fixed the problem - by buying the Marzocchi.

18. proraptor

yeah i hear you.....im running about 60psi and the plushness feels pretty good but the fork dive makes me feel like im going to go over the bars lol.....i miss floodgate......and im still only getting 140mm.....i think im going to take it back if it doesnt improve soon

19. Salespunk

Salespunk New Member

Try draining the air chamber first. There should only be 5 ml of oil in there and I guarantee that you have at least 30 ml. Just pull the top cap on the left side off (after you let the air out) with a 32 mm socket and see how much oil is in the bottom. There should be around 1/2". What happens is the oil fills the chamber which increases air pressure. Once you adjust the air pressure you are still left a with a smaller chamber which makes the fork MUCH more progressive. It is physically impossible to get all of the travel with that much oil in the chamber.

20. proraptor

how would i go about taking some of the oil out?