2010 VQ/CC Roll Call/Questions and Answers(merged)

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by Waldo, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    It's the last week before the Pow-Wow, so let's hear from everyone who's in:

Are you doing the VQ or CC?

How has your training gone? (not counting the obvious problems due to rain)

What is your goal for the event?

As for me:
    I'm in for the CC.

Training was great from October to early January, but the past couple months have been spotty at best. Illness, followed by rain, then knee problems all kept me from doing many distance rides or training for speed. I'm glad I got a good base down early, and hope it carries me through.

My time last year (my first CC) was just over 8 hours, after being slowed by a broken rear shifter. My dream this year was to shave about 30 minutes, but the way things have gone the past couple months, I just want to finish and see my friends do well.

RSVP here: Warrior's Society VQ/CC

2. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    VQ #3.

My training was non existing this year due to new work schedule, rain, injury and just being too lazy and not motivated. I even thought of dropping out completely, but I won't cause I'd hate to miss all the fun. :-s

The last few years have not been kind. 2007, had the flu so I drop down to the CC and finished. 2008, bad knees kept me from maintaining a solid pace, but finished. Last year, cramps from the start, my right I.T. band tightened up, I cracked my frame(chain stay), broke my bottle cage and lost my water bottle, crashed and lost my Garmin on LHJ, all around bad day, but finished. Each year I was able to gut it out and finished, but I'm not in it to "just" finish anymore.

My goal is to be pain free this year. How I finish remains to be seen. [-o-]

3. XCRider

XCRider Member

I'm in for CC. Finished it last year, but was over 8 hours and so shooting for maybe a 7:30 or so finish this year. Experimented with training this year by throwing in a lot more road rides. Training in the snow last year was sort of character building, but I don't know how much it helped riding ability. Replace snow with mud and you've got this year's situation. Battling an eye infection right now, but otherwise feel pretty good. Going to do one last training ride today with next week set aside for healing and mental prep. Good luck to you all and since we won't be seeing much at Blackstar I hope to see you on the trail or at O'Neill afterwards.

4. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Coup #5 for me.

Planned to do it SS style, but am not ready so geary for fun. Have a friend doing for the first time. Long range weather looks spectacular .... maybe. Looking forward to the darkness and then emerging into the light. Last several years in the 6:45 range all within 90 secs finishing time, would be happy to shave of 5 min :) I have stayed fairly healthy this year, but when I review the numbers I did not get as much training in, but what the hey..Have fun see you folks out there.

5. Rawhead

Rawhead Member

Unfortunately, I will be unable to start the CC this year. Wednesday morning I suffered a nasty accident on my road bike while riding Santiago Canyon. On top of the bruises and scrapes, I broke my left clavicle in two places.

The biggest bummer is since it happened so close to the race, I'm unable to release my entry to another rider.

Good luck to all! Be safe and ride hard!

6. chanson

chanson doepicshit.

Web Designer
    VQ all the way here. Ride till I die, or finish. Which ever comes first...

7. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Rawhead - sorry to hear about your crash and injury. On the bright side, it could have been worse. Live to ride another day, right?

XC Rider - sounds like we have a similar pace & goal, so maybe I'll see you out there. I'm on an orange Yeti. Good luck!

8. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Mr Gene...do you have a black foam roller and use it often?...works wonders on IT bands.... :)

9. steviebfromtheoc

steviebfromtheoc steviebfromtheoc

self employed
    Did the CC last year , got the VQ on the plate for next weekend ...my goal is to make all of the cut-offs and have some fun along the way ... I will be cheering on everyone throughout the ride .. Good luck to all :beer:

10. AKmoney

AKmoney Member

Field Application Engineer
    I'm in for my first CC. Briefly considered attempting the VQ but thought the better of it since I'm a first timer.

My goal is simply to finish. Training-wise I've made a reasonable effort, occasionally fighting acute cases of extreme laziness. I've done a few 30+ mile weekend epics and fairly regular night riding up STT, Blackstar, etc.

I've never done any kind of organized event/race/etc ever before in my life so this should be pretty exciting for me.

11. Pilas

Pilas Member

Hey Steve, good luck next weekend!

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

I will be out there.............

At the start checking you guys in......... :) :wave:

At the finish helping out with timing. :beer:

13. Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss human being

Home Page:
    My first CC!!

Training has been good despite all the rain. The intervals and core strengthening at the gym has really paid off.

We rode the CC course last Thursday and I felt really good doing it. Took 8:18 with tons of lagging and stops.

If I feel as good as I did last Thursday I'm shooting for under 7 hours. But making the cut offs and having fun is my main goal.

That And making my fallen friend, Mike Probst, proud. Mike died serving our country in Iraq on 2-14-06. We were both fat guys in high school, so When he joined the Marines and I got sober we both started getting really fit. He Shaped up a lot quicker than me. Mike never got to see me at my fittest, at least not from this world. If I start cramping or I let my head start barking at me, I'll just turn up the Mr. Bungle and think about Mike and push it.

14. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    CC #4 for me. Did patchy training at the end of last year. The 3 week 'liquid vacation' in the UK but I think I've over done it on the training since Jan. Time will tell!

15. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

When you guys n gals pick up your packets, you should post up your numbers so we can cheer you all on. :beer:

16. Kish Me

Kish Me DH'r in a rigid 9'rs body

Home Theater Design- DLP Consulting, Inc.
    Home Page:
    You are gonna cheer for everyone anyway. :?:

:beer:

17. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

But, it's a more special cheer for those I know. It's done with a bit more love ;)

18. Bergsteiger

Bergsteiger Mr. Krisztian

Master Business Jet Service Center Coordinator
    This will be my first VQ, I did CC last year and have done 2 Traverses.
    My training has been pretty good, since my layoff last year gave me more time to ride, but I would much rather be under trained and over employed.
    My big concern is and will be the section between Four Corners and the base of Holy Jim, I did fine last year to the first 2 cutoffs at Maple and Four Corners but lost MAJOR time in that section between FC and base of HJ. So I am going to give it everything I got and hope that my Rocky Mountain Element brings me home. Good Luck to all you crazy bastards.

19. gr@sshopper

gr@sshopper Closet Roadie

First time with VQ. Hoping to finish. I got the slot a little more than a month ago, and have spent three weeks of the last month with a respiratory infection, and then food poisoning (on the plus side, I'm down almost 10 lbs)

So yeah, hoping to finish, if not, just to have some fun out there.

20. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    CC # 2

Training: Non existent. Lingering cough for 3 weeks, little riding weeks before that. Overall just lazy about night riding in the cold this year.

CC in 2008, Traverse 2008, VQ 2009. All were unique with their own challenges and suffering. Guess this year will be no different as I figure I'll try the singlespeed and not training at all really. One gear will be a good excuse for all the walking eh?

Can't wait to see you all out there shivering in the dark next saturday.

Bummer Rawhead, pretty sure I've seen you out there on the Main Divide the last few years.