2010 STR Weight-Loss Challenge

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dino Brown, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eruizela

eruizela mountain bike addict

Realtor
    good job everyone, every one of the competitors is a winner.

Winner, winner, chicken (grilled of course) dinner.

2. MethodX

MethodX Uber Method

I'm the guy that figures stuff out.
    :clap:Agreed! :clap:

3. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

2010 STR Weight Loss Challenge

Final Weigh-In: No later than Friday, July 2nd... 9pm!
    Final results will be posted on Monday!

jeff^d's spreadsheet
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/vie...Q4Yi0zZDQ0LTQxMzktOGI5My1kMzBkNjZlZjRkZWM&ifq

*I have been unable to contact 1trackmind, Bikeadict, Granny Ring, JimmyJamma, Jojon or MXVET
    If you have the ability to contact them, PLEASE forward them this information!

*If you have not received an email... Check your mail filter!

*Do your part: **call-email-text** a Weigh In Reminder to fellow competitors

4. Mongo

Mongo Chewyeti "MongOHNO!"

measurement tech.
    so this is going to go on for another year? COOL!.. I assume that you meant JULY

5. MethodX

MethodX Uber Method

Sarcasm really is your superpower!!!!

LOL

6. takman

takman New Member

Glad this is almost over! I just crashed today and i believe i broke a rib! I put some pressure on it and i can hear a clicking sound!
    Guna try and ride tomorrow to see how it feels! I would hate to not be able to ride and loss all the progress i made in my riding! any way. Keep it up everyone! Yall kicked some butt!

7. Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss human being

Home Page:
    Hope the ribs heal quick takman.

I'm bummed there's no group ride on saturday.

8. dubl_xl

dubl_xl I'd rather go down

Electrician
    That would freak me out! Healing vibes comin' your way.

9. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    Takman hope you feel better tomorrow.

Just remember my advice on how to get out of bed in the morning (if necessary). If you must take care of yourself and rest because you did all this for MAMMOTH. Let me know if you need help inputting your weight tomorrow.

You all deserve to win with all you are doing to win (Mongo/FG1).

-Elvia

10. eruizela

eruizela mountain bike addict

Realtor
    Take some "medicine"

11. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Thanks for extending the deadline! I'll post up my final weight in the morning. :)

The good news is that even though I wasn't going to risk logging on, I did stay a bit active and ate well this week. I really hope to continue this so that I can sit on the sidelines next time and cheer others on.

Kudos to all who have taken part of the challenge. You were all a great support system and wonderfully encouraging; so, thank you all!!

12. JoJon

JoJon Member

I'll be riding Blackstar saturday. If anyone wants to join me I'll be at the gate @ 8:00am rolling around 8:15. Easy pace up to Beeks and maybe on to Sierra Peak. I'm on a white Stumpjumper 29r.

Sorry to hear about the rib Takman, hope it's not bad!

13. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

A few people were talking about the Blackstar Ride this evening (at the Fully Loop).
    You may have a decent sized group!
    Have fun!

P.S.- Jojon drives a white (lifted) Ford truck with a white shell!

14. MethodX

MethodX Uber Method

Heal up takman. Time forced off the bike sucks bit can be helpful not only to your injury but overall revovery.

I agree with Georgia, the support system on and off the trails has been awesome ! This challenge got me to get my road riding in at 5:30am weekdays, warm or cold. I should have done this on my own but didn't until this challenge.

Well done all "-)

***Weight posted. I opted not to dry sauna it this morning and just did my regular road ride (easy with ankle healing). Thanks to all for everything. My ankle is a little tender but I hope to be on the trails before next week.

15. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist
    Awesome Job, Everyone!

Hopefully, this kind of support for everyone won't be over now that the challenge is over!!! We should come up with some kind of challenge/group/etc for the long term!

I didn't do as well as I had hoped in this challenge (ie didnt win a prize, LOL) BUUUUT I am actually pretty happy with where I'm at! I'm down 37 lbs from the beginning of the year and I am feeling great. I did let this whole challenge mess with my mind a bit but I am back on track and in it for the long haul. The prize I am most after is to NEVER HAVE TO PARTICIPATE IN A FREAKIN WEIGHT LOSS CHALLENGE EVER AGAIN!!! And I am getting there!

It's been SO AWESOME to see and support everyone who has made both drastic and little changes in their life for the better! Elvia (and everyone else!!), I am so proud of you and all you have accomplished! I can't wait to see everyone and see how darn good you are looking! Thank you so much for all of your kind words and encouragement when I needed it most. Thanks Rich for all your food compliments, it makes it just a teeny tiny bit easier dragging my butt into the kitchen to cook when I know others actually think my healthy experiments look good! LOL! Huge thanks to all the Dirty Girlz for their extra support, you girls did AMAZING!!!!! Anyone who wants to keep this going via e-mail, facebook, heck even another thread, LET'S DO IT! Post foodie pics, recipes, tips, and general support and encouragement! WE CAN DO THIS!

CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE! :clap::bang::clap:

16. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    Posted my weight this morning.

I know FG1 and Mongo are wrapped in bubble wrap sitting in a suana and you both deserve to win. There certainly aren't any losers in this competition. The best part of the competition were the cool compeititors. Hopefully this will happen again for others to enjoy and benefit.

The best thing for me is that I now enjoy riding my bike so much more. My fear of showing up to ride places is much less. That dreadful feeling of hills is also much less and like climbing. My challenge continues and maybe more of a challenge now that I must encourage me on my own. Yet, it's certain for me I do not want to go back to struggling on my bike. There is still a lot more work for me ahead.

My legs are a mess chain ring marks, bruises, and other parts of my bike embedded on the back of my legs. The only explanation I have for all this is my uncordination and that first hill at fully. I still have a horrible sunburn from BlackStar rides on my shoulders. I think I can now pull out the neosporine and start healing my legs.

Most unforgettable WLC ride -- riding up blackstar with fewinhibtions and methodx.

Dino and Jeff again thanks for the time you gave up and put into this challenge. Congrats to the both of you for making this so positive. Nice that you gave up your time to help others get healthy and have fun.

Congrats Everyone and Keep it Going!

-Elvia

17. dubl_xl

dubl_xl I'd rather go down

Electrician
    First off I would like to thank jeff^d and Dino for all their hard work and dedication organizing the STR WLC 2010. I predict this to be my last entry into any kind of weight loss challenge, not because of any unpleasantness but because I shouldn't need to.

I have needed to get my weight back under control ever since my daughter was born (she'll be 17 in September). I gained over 40 pounds with my wife's pregnancy, sympathy weight...lack of self control...whatever you want to call it. I have always carried a few extra pounds (except in high school when I wrestled, I was a lean mean 159 pounds) but I never let it stop me from engaging in my favorite activities.

Surfing, skateboarding, snowboarding, softball and biking are things I really enjoy and would never give up but they became more difficult with my size. I don't like the feeling of not being able to do something as well as I used to just because of my weight. Buying a nice pair of surf trunks is something that I haven't done since I had a 36" waist, I was reduced to surfing in WalMart elastic band drawstring swimsuits, the ones that the pockets fill with water as you are paddling out!

As a result of my efforts during the WLC I feel like I am well on my way back to a healthier size and increased enjoyment of my life. I can't believe how great riding Cow Trail felt last Wednesday night! I really never felt fatigue from the climbs and my recovery time was measured in seconds instead of minutes. Climbing with less effort has been one of the greatest benefits of my weight loss and I can only imagine how much faster I will get over the next several months.

Thank you to all of the other participants for your words of encouragement and especially to the STR "closet" chefs! Maybe someday we will have a nutrition forum to post recipes and pictures of our latest healthy creations.

To everybody who contemplated entering this year's WLC but didn't for one reason or another, that is a start. It shows that you care enough about yourself to want to make a change in your life, I was that guy last year but ended up waiting until this year to start. As long as you still have a breath in you it is not too late to start. Many on this site will be willing to help you achieve your fitness goals, it is something we all have in common and can relate to. Thanks again,

Rich

18. Sl0wM0tion

Sl0wM0tion New Member

Anyone want to ride something else other than Blackstar saturday?

19. rodgerdodger

rodgerdodger Member

Sorry to hear about your ankle! Setbacks happen. Maybe its an opportunity to work some upper body for a while?

20. warmblood

warmblood Member

Thanks for putting this together! I just got back from a long ride, and jumped on the scale...199lbs. I think the warm day helped me shed some of the water weight. I got below 200lbs, and I'm stoked. I even had my wife come upstairs to look at the scale for confirmation. Thanks and everyone have a great holiday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.