2010 Giant XTC 29er 1 on test

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by grannygear, Jul 22, 2009.

1. b3rnard

b3rnard Member

Yes and yes, besides having to fork up money for a tapered fork if you get just the frame. There's very few choices when it comes to tapered headsets. Most headsets are sold with the frame. And hard to find a replacement.

I could see the benefits of having a tapered steer tube on a DH, or FR bike. But cross country? I think that is just overkill for no reason. I don't see tapered head tubes to motoX or GP bikes :lol:

2. digitaldouble

digitaldouble Member

Architect
  3. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

4. sasquatch9billion

sasquatch9billion Active Member

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    I fully agree. I was looking at their x-cross bike but the Giant logo is pasted on every single component.

5. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor
    For some reason I don't mind the Giant plastered everywhere. Perhaps it's because i kinda like the font. Whatever. What I do hate about the new Giant's is this ridiculous new trend of everything being all matchy matchy. Colored cable housing, brake lines, etc. It really cheapens the look in my opinion. They were going for the 'bling' factor but it just comes off really tacky to me. Anyone else feel like they missed the mark with this?

6. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    I don't mind it. It's a simple gloss black with a name on it. You can't tell me some of the tribal shiet that Specialized rolled out or that brown, green, and mustard color combos aren't fugly as hell. Kona does some wacky color stuff but I don't seem to mind as they seem to have more a sense of humor about it instead of trying to be hardcore.

Most of us start dumping all that OEM stuff anyways. Though all that Giant branding stuff will probably kill your resale value for those parts.

7. Alan_Eger

Alan_Eger New Member

I am currently testing our new Proto-type bikes that are tapered. You do not have to have a tapered steer tube on your fork to run a tapered headtube on your frame. There is a conversion race just so you can keep your 1/8" steer tube forks. It makes the front end steer quicker and the benefits are there depending how hard you ride. I will be more than happy to show/ride with anyone out there that wants to test our new bikes that are still in Proto-type stages. Click on li KA 501 Tests 012.jpg nks below to call or email me at anytime.Thanks.

8. danmtchl

danmtchl danmtchl

Aera Energy LLC- Mailguy
    Specialized is the worst about putting their name on everything especially the frame. I remember reading an article in MBA and they counted no less than 15 logo's or name on a Specialized. I agree as a Giant owner and past salesman of them they are going alittle bit overboard with the color matching. I think after a while those colored parts will look bad after awhile. I am a fan of black with black. Actually the 06 Trance is the coolest one I personally thought they put out. It had spiderwebs all over the frame and the white one with grey webbing was the best. Here is a link to the bike. Most of them had the word Trance in red, I have never seen it in grey.

http://archive.giant-bicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.006.asp?year=2006&model=11266

9. digitaldouble

digitaldouble Member

Architect
    This is the full link. Cut an paste into your browser URL bar
    Works every time here (Firefox and IE)

"http://www.thecyclistsite.com/reviews/2009/7/22/out-of-the-box-giant-xtc-29er-1.html"

10. bing!

bing! Active Member

True.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=37227&category=724

Id rather have the tapered steerer, and the bigger weld joints between the oversized down tube and the head tube. Mo betta.

11. mantaman

mantaman New Member

Sales
    not once but MANY times on every single component.

12. danmtchl

danmtchl danmtchl

Aera Energy LLC- Mailguy
    Dan's Pics 050.jpg Here is the new 11 XTC 29er Carbon, I rode it around it is pretty nice, check out the size of the down tube. Dan's Pics 051.jpg

13. Spartticus

Spartticus Member

nice - what store was carrying this already?

14. danmtchl

danmtchl danmtchl

Aera Energy LLC- Mailguy
    Finishline in Bakersfield, this is the XTC 1 model and it is $2500. The 0 model is $4000

15. grannygear

grannygear Old enough to know better

Cable Guy
    Home Page:
  16. cruiten

cruiten New Member

Never mind, link has been updated already...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2011
  17. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

This only applies if you're using a larger down tube, at which point you're comparing apples to oranges.

If the same sized down tube is being used on the normal HT as on the larger HT, you actually get a smaller weld contact point. If the larger down tube were shaped for the normal HT, you'd get even greater weld contact point that the large DT on the large HT. With the smaller HT, you get more wrap around it than with the larger HT. This makes the smaller HT a stronger joint. But this is only referring to this single joint. There are some other benefits to tapered steer tubes (though truly barely quantifiable).

Steering between the two steerers is identical. The tubes are not twisting or deflecting under normal turning conditions. However, a larger steer tube may be stiffer when the front wheel is deflecting on objects. Those who've ridden older 29er Rebas or SIDs know all about this!

18. mantaman

mantaman New Member

Sales
    Coates in Pomona on Foothill and Towne Ave has a few of them. Speaking of which I'm getting a XTC 1 29er from them and I have to say they are a very cool shop. Well stocked and they are VERY willing to swap parts out to help you dial in your bike. Most shops are not into doing this kind of thing but they do this all the time. I bought 2 road bikes from them and now this XTC from them as well. They also do demo's and they are close to a few trailheads. I know they are having some kind of demo day coming up (maybe a women's event) but they have demo days, customer appreciation parties and so on from time to time.

Please note; I do not work there nor have I ever worked there.