2009 VQ/CC (vision quest/counting coupe) - Ride Reports - pics

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by aukmal, Mar 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JD158

JD158 New Member

Just wanted to say thanks to the Warrior's Society for putting on the event and thanks to Gene for maintaining that waiting list.

My first CC and it was a memory to remember. It was cold in the morning and I thought, wow I mustve lost my mind for signing up for something this early and long, but then again, looks like over 300 people lost their mind :lol:. I knew the day was going to be long so of course I just paced myself.

I pre-rode blackstar to motorway once and maple springs up to four corners a different time. Blackstar to motorway took me 4.5 hours originally because I decided to eat it on the fire road that first time and never made it back until this past Saturday. The event started and off I went....I made it with big smiles to aid station 1 at 8:30 and thought wow, "that only took 3 hours"...so i fueled up and took off for four corners.....and that climb started killing me but I made it to four corners at 10:30 or 10:40 something and thought, I guess I'm doing alright....ate a clif bar, took a break, and then off i went again.....i dont know the name of all the trails but before the descend down with the snow area, I had taken a quick stop and i recognized a face from the pics and post and i said "hey youre freekengo, from STR"...and he said "yep" as he was buttoning up for the ride down....and off i took off for the snow area and I didnt know how to ride in between that little track that was paved through the snow until I heard Freekengo coming from behind and had both legs out, saying something about a tripod.....and then i quickly jumped out of the way, laughed and said to myself...."ahhh, thats how you do it"......then on to upper holy jim, never seen this course, but was warned to be careful from the warriors society staff, and came pussyfooting it down since i suck with technical stuff anyways....and i guess I ran into davidB....he was just hanging out....well he let me go ahead and i told him "i suck at technical crap so not sure if you really want me to go" and he said "you got full suspension so you go right ahead".....and then i continued on and then I went over the bars in one area......i laughed it off and had to figure out how to get out of the brushes...and finally did.....then davidB came by and said "ohhhhh!!" :lol:.....well I finally made it down in one piece and it was that long bumpy, fire road, filled with mud, rocks, pothole.......one guy was off to the side and had his hands in the air waving and looking for something, so i stopped and he said he needed a tube, so i tossed him a tube, and made it to the finish line.

It was well worth it to hear everyone clapping and cheering as we got close to the finish line.....i finished right behind davidB and we both got off our bikes with mud splashes all over our face and both just had that grin:bang:. 7:20 or so later we were done!!!

I didnt officially meet davidB or freekengo and I only figured out names from reading posts, but it was good chit chatting with you guys and of course everybody else that I passed or passed me. Good job everybody!!!! Can't wait til next year!!!.:beer:

2. Padre

Padre New Member

Inhuman Resources
    Good work Ms. Runner.

Not bad for your first cycling event ever.:bang:

We need to put a shorter stem on there and do some tech workshops with your coach. That'll fix you up right.

I like your accidental misnaming of Beek's place..."Bleeks"...very fitting!:lol:

3. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    Congratualtions to all the participants in CC & VQ. Great job I hope everyone reached their goals. :clap: I had absolutely no desire to ride this event ever again, but with all the write ups, I'm definitely inspired to do VQ.

I must be crazy to even think that cause I spent the weekend skiing Mammoth with some of the best conditions of the year. My best memories participating in this event is just the camaraderie and encouragement everyone gives to each other. Definitely a lasting memory.

4. jbh65

jbh65 Member

that's what it's all about. You say it you own it, and YOU DID IT!

Congrats.

5. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Stickers? I didn't get one either. I guess that's what I get for being so slow :lol:

6. dubjay

dubjay Having upgraditis is OK

Work for publisher of fashion magazines
    Home Page:
    I'm right there with you C. No stickers here either.

I think they only give them out to those who come in under 9 hours. :lol:

7. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    I didn't even get a feather. They ran out of both. Sherry will order more stickers and we will get them out to you.

I'm tying feathers now for the 15 riders who did not get theirs.

8. Fookawi

Fookawi Climb more Mountains

WHT in 50 minutes

I timed him from the fork of WHT and Trabuco. 50 minutes to do the loop.

9. Roger Rabbit

Roger Rabbit Member

A great day for a bike ride and excellent company for my first VQ.
    The camaraderie among riders and the kindness of strangers will be remembered long after the pain is forgotten.
    When I finished, Brenda made me a sandwich and gave me a beer.
    Thank you Brenda.

10. aukmal

aukmal New Member

8:50 without poaching any aid stations...

:bang:
    FYI, he finished in 8:50 without poaching any aid stations...he's also been known to finish in the top 5 at International World Cup Downhill Races too. Who says downhillers can't pedal?

11. whybother

whybother New Member

i tried to get you to do VQ with us!!! :) good luck to you. do some training, remember how we met? :)

12. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

First VQ, hopefully many more!

It's great to read over everyone's reports, brings back lots of memories even though it was only a few days ago. Many, many thanks to the WS for putting on this event. I signed up for Vision Quest on a whim the morning registration opened, not really having any clue what I was getting into. This was hands down the most organized, professionally run ride I've participated in. The aide stations and support were fantastic, lots of friendly people (fellow riders and support), and just a beautiful day to see some new (to me) trails.

Of course I was in bed about 4 hours Friday night, with significantly less than that being sound sleep. Left Claremont around 4:00 and arrived at Blackstar around 5:00. As I started to pull my gear out of my car it dawned on me that I forgot my shoes! I took them from my apartment and set them in the garage as I was loading my bike, and left them on the floor next to my car. I had a pair of tennis shoes on, and started a small panic attack.

Around 5:05 I was walking around frantically searching for someone with an extra pair of shoes. Made my way down Blackstar then started back towards my car, and as fate would have it I parked next to Allan from Don's Bikes team, who happened to have an extra pair and was also the last person I had left to ask. Completely saved my butt, I would've been suffering in my tennis shoes!

Finally toed the line at about 5:28, excited and already riding adrenaline. The cold didn't bother me much as I just sunk into a rhythm and enjoyed the climb. It was cool watching the riders on switchbacks above, they almost looked like ghosts in the dawn, carrying lanterns and traversing up the hillsides.

Before I knew it I was up top and cruising down Motorway, easily my favorite part of the day. Fueled up and backed off my pace a little up Maple Springs as I knew I had a long climb up to the peak and I didn't want to burn out early. Maple Springs made me thankful I wasn't riding a singlespeed, even though several SS riders passed me on the way up. They looked to be in a lot more pain than I was... I wasn't feeling fresh as a daisy but I was amazed at how the hours and miles just kept ticking by.

Descending Upper Holy Jim I hit a drop weird and blew some air out of my front tire, a UST Nevegal, and went down pretty hard. I had about 10 psi left in the tire so I was able to air it up with a hand pump, but it turns out some rocks were stuck in the bead so I was hermoraging sealant and the tire went completely flat once I hit Lower Holy Jim. Pulled out my valve stem and stuck in a tube, trying not to curse my luck.

I made the Holy Jim cut-off by about 2 hours and was feeling content, so I relaxed a bit and chatted with some other riders and volunteers while eating and attempting to build excitement for WHT. Finally took off and about 0.2 miles before the WHT junction I started to feel the beginning twinges of cramps. Decided to hike 90% of WHT and not push my luck by riding, and this did the trick for loosening up my cramps. Or, maybe it was the delicous cheeseburger at the top? Wow that was good.

Trabuco was a blur, I was feeling pretty beat up and just made sure I kept the rubber side down the whole way. Figured I had my 8-hour goal in the bag as I reached the bottom and started crusing down Trabuco Creek Rd, only to get yet another flat about 3 miles from the finish. Fixed everything up and then hauled as fast I could to the finish to break my goal with a 7:53. Very happy with my time although you better believe next year I'll be back with a vengence :).

Thanks again to everyone out there, riders and volunteers and other responsible parties. Really appreciate the effort.

13. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    I was 1 of the guys you asked and couldn't help since I use Egg beaters. Glad it worked out for you and you found some shoes. Good job on your Quest.

14. chanson

chanson doepicshit.

Web Designer
    Well after spending a good amount of time reading everyones ride reports from there VQ and CC rides, I figured I would share as well.

I don't think you could ask for a better day to ride than what we all had. As a first time CC rider this will not be my last. I hit all my goals and made all new records, I couldn't ask for much more. Everyone was so friendly and encouraging the entire time.

Thanks to all the WS crew out there, you guys killed it with this event and I dont think there is one thing I would change with this. I am doing VQ next year and already signed up for the Traverse in May. I'm addicted and I can't wait to see everyone out there again.

15. HighRevPhoto

HighRevPhoto New Member

Home Page:
  16. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    Thanks Jason! Just ordered a photo of me. Next to last page. I'm glad I hung in there and looked through all the pages. Beautiful photography!

17. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Originally Posted by jonathan_sykes81 [​IMG]
    Manny did finish first in 5:14:45. Simply amazing!!!

Well...Simple Physics...you can thank Einstein for explaining this. Manny was actually moving soooo fast that time dilated/slowed down for him where the rest of us mere mortals experienced normal time. Makes perfect sense! :)

18. Zippo

Zippo Pow Wow!

It's been said before, and I know it'll be said again: "KILLER PHOTOS!" Thanks for being out there! I just ordered up.

19. Slate

Slate New Member

Seriously!!! On the order button now. Amazing shots!! THANKS!:)

20. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Jeff D - Glad you found some shoes, and congrats on making your goals. I was also one of many you approached that morning, and I felt really bad that I couldn't help. Several of us wondered about you later that day. Glad it worked out, and major props to the person who loaned them to you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.