2009 VQ/CC (vision quest/counting coupe) - Ride Reports - pics

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by aukmal, Mar 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mauric6943

mauric6943 Member

Unemployed
    I think some of these posts were made before I even finished!!!! It's cool though b/c I did finish :clap:

Stacy and I stayed together (or she was in front of me) for 95% of the course. We finished VQ one, two in 8:58. I'm proud of both of us ('us' include all 300-400participants) for accomplishing such a feat.

Everything below my ears is sore. My ribs are sore to the touch!!

Thanks to the Warrior Society and all of the volunteers for making an event like this possible. Props to Hugh, 1x1, etc. for coming out. I know I saw CC too but the other faces were unregonizable. They either went by in a blur or were contorted in agony.

It would really really really surprise me if you see my out there again. I think I'm just going to take my feather and my left over Hammer nutritional products and enjoy some quality television :wave: (buh bye)

maurice

2. jbh65

jbh65 Member

First seeing Vickie and then Collette break into tears as they came in made all worth while for me. This is indeed a great accomplishment. I saw so many helping others and encouraging others along the way. It's just great to be a part of that.

that sums it all up Gene. Great job out there today by you and your peeps

3. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Hooray to all of you that attempted and finished.
    Especially those that continued on while in pain!!
    Way to go!!

4. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Many thanks for the voulnteers and the cheer leaders. Special thanks for the Warriors keeping the finish open until the last rider finished.

I had hoped to up my PR for the VQ but it wasn't going to happen. My ride was going good up to Santiago Peak. Based upon my previous rides I had at least a 30 minute cushion and I knew I could improve my time down UHJ and LHJ. I saw Gene at the peak since he had been slowed by cramps. On the downhill he passed me and I wouldn't see him again for a long time. On UHJ Impy was fixing a flat. She said she was OK and just GO! On UHJ being more aggressive didn't pay off. I tore a sidewall and then the trouble started. One tube flatted, another lost its valve stem and I had to wait and borrow a tube (from rider #21).

When I finally got going my time margin was going negative. I went down HJ's like never before. I caught up to Vickie who also was in time trouble. We were focused on the singletrack, no scenery, no dropoffs. Lower down there was no time to try to keep dry. Crossing a stream was a matter of stomping through.

We made it at precisely 12. (give or take a few seconds). So on to WHT. By this time I was feeling the effect of missing some fuel stops. The hike up WHT was the slowest I've ever gone. Saw Gene again on the climb. (We're not quitters, right?).

When the singletrack leveled a bit I tried to ride and flatted again. So I just dragged the bike up and had a hamburger and gatorades - plural. Then I patched the tube with my last patch. I felt better and took off with Mark (the sweeper).

I went down Trabuco at record speed (for me). After the junction with WHT I got into a groove and went over rocks (lifting a carbon fork is easy) and through stream crossings. A rigid fork can be punishing but I was never knocked off line like a suspension fork would do. It's good when a fork goes exactly where you point it.

Finally finished (last). What did Leo Durocher say?

5. HardCharger

HardCharger Where's the singletrack?

VQ & CC pics from Beeks

Congrats to all!!! :beer:
    The morning started pretty early for me as well. I met Neil (1x1Clyde) at 5am and followed him to Skyline. We had a little trouble locating the trailhead because of the new development. But after gong through the neighborhood we were able to find it. Fortunately the gate was open and we headed up to Beeks.

First time spectating...truly awesome seeing you guys and gals grind up the mountain. PROPs to ALL!

I was taking pictures up top just before the sun came up while Neil was ringing the cowbell, yelling on the bullhorn and tazing people (j/k). Some say they heard the cowbells a few miles before reaching Beeks :lol:

I think I got pics of everyone. We stayed up there until the last rider checked in.

Here are pics from top of Skyline/Beeks: http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/thumbpage.aspx?e=4572583

Attached Files:

6. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    Another spectacular event.

Seriously stop calling it a "race" folks[-X, the forestry service only permits organized "events" and not contests of speed on their land;). The cut off times are enforced in the name of everyone's safety and to ensure a fun event all the way around. Behind the scenes things ran like a watch, only a few ticks off (My bad#-o) and a little wound down toward the end. Delighted no one got seriously hurt, and the riders respected their limits and focused on having a great time out there today. Just waking up now it's nearly time to go back to bed:lol:.

My hat is off to everyone who came out, spectators, participants and volunteers alike. When we can all contribute to a common purpose it's a beautiful day indeed.:clap:

Thank you for listening.

7. Silver

Silver New Member

Did Tim actually do that on the tandem?

Did anyone get pics?

8. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

Do you really think the forest Service gives a shit? They let the "race" go through supposedly ecologically fragile areas after the fires last year, as long as the money comes in they don't care. Also there are about 5 trail running races run in the Santa Anas every year and many more in the San Gabs, they have been happening for years and are advertised as races.

9. TrojanInsomniac

TrojanInsomniac Active Member

DPT student
    All I can say is wow! Congratulations to all the participants, and thank you for sharing your stories as well.........truly inspirational! Just giving it a try, whether you finished or not, garners so much respect. Gene, kudos on going through that hell to finish up the VQ. I've suffered crazy ass cramps before when I used to play competitive tennis.........just couldn't imagine HAB'ing WHT in that kind of pain!

I'll be back on the bike next weekend and am already planning on getting my training on for VQ 2010. After reading how mp3 did it on a BMX bike, perhaps I'll try it on the M6. I'll just need a paramedic waiting for me at the top :lol: Again, a huge congratulations to all the participants on a job well done :clap:

10. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    Congrats out to all that rode the event today! Whether you finished or not, you deserve a big :beer:!

Since Sanjay's not the type to toot his own horn, I'm gonna toot it for him! :lol:

For those that don't know too much about him, I'll just say he's a good kid, and has "some" bike riding skills. Read here for a good story; http://www.transcendmagazine.com/archives/2007/04/sanjays_great_a.html

From PINNED MTB Magazine http://www.pinnedmtb.com/dh_freeagents.htm

Sanjay Shanbhag
    [​IMG]

A crowd favorite, Sanjay is one of the guys you'll always root for. Ripping it up on the national level downhills, slicing & dicing at local slalom courses, or flipping a beach cruiser at a dirt jump contest... Sanjay is always at the head of the action!

[​IMG]

A couple of weeks ago we were at the shop talking about the VQ, and what it takes to finish it. And Sanjay says something along the lines of, "I think go and ride it and see what happens".
    Well, it was way to late for him to pay and enter, so he just planned on showing up and riding. And so he didn't step on the toes of those that did pay, and had a chance to use the help at the aid stations, he packed all he thought he'd need in his pack, and did it self supported. He said his pack weighed close to 19lbs when he started!

I talked to him earlier tonight after his ride, and he said that all of the WS members & volunteers were all supportive, and very friendly to those that did the ride without plates.

And after finishing the VQ, he grabbed his stashed single speed commuter bike, and rode back to Blackstar to get his truck! So that's what, another 6 mile ride, AFTER finishing the VQ!?! #-o#-o

As far as I know, up until today, I think this years PushaKona ride was his longest day on the bike.
    And he hammered through that like it was easy! #-o:lol:
    He really stepped it up today, finishing in 8:50.

To me, this rides always been about what the non-racers go through to get through it, and get it done.
    Whether it's the CC or the VQ, for some, it's the hardest ride they will ever do.

I'd just like to give a BIG THUMBS UP to all of you that got it done today!!

11. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    The view from Aid Station #2.

:-k I knew driving to O'Neil early this morning that I had made a mistake. The weather looked to be perfect and the trails nice and tacky. Just a perfect day for a ride. Although I hadn't done the VQ since 2005 (the year of the mud), I would have loved to be out on the trail today. But, I had commited to working the event this year. I usually get a great amount of pleasure encouraging the riders on and therefore usually don't mind working it. This year I began to feel those old pangs of doing it again.

Chris had me working Aid Station #2.. which as many of you know is the cut off for VQ. It becomes a very busy place with riders coming down from Holy Jim, going up Trabuco and coming down Trabuco. It becomes a real challenge to try and read plate numbers as riders go by as some of the plates are turned under and sideways. You really don't have much time to fool around as riders are zipping by.

Manny was the first to come through... his wife standing by the side of the trail cheering him on. He looked like he was on a Sunday cruise... God did not create all people equal... some are more equal than others!

10 minutes later another rider, then another... then a gap of 15 minutes and more riders appeared and numbers were being called out and you didn't have much time for anything else. This went on for the next 5 hours.

Gene came through grimacing in pain. He was not a happy camper as he had lost his Garmin somewhere on Holy Jim. There are not many times that you see Gene when he is not smiling... this was one of those times. Trooper that he is, he just carried on. I've come to expect that in him & that's one of the reasons that he's so much fun to ride with.

Andy (Rut) came through with his usual smile plastered all over his face. He had to have been hurting going up Trabuco out of Aid Station #2.. but it just didn't show.

And so it went all day. People coming through... pushing themselves.... willing their bodies to continue on. Debbie, Vickie, Collette...Doug... even old realiable Steve Timm flated a record 6 times, twice on the road out!

When we finally struck the popups and packed all the tables and supplies up and rode out that wonderfully smooth road (it has gotten worse over the years!) back to O'Neil. All I could think about was food and a beer as we had worked through lunch.

Upon reflection, the race/ride seems to be a microcosm of reality... we all start off early, some seem to go faster than others, we all suffer yet we all have great times. We meet incredible people along the way as well as a$$holes..... yet, at the end of the day we are all beat to heck and have only our memories.

Yeah.... Ain't it cool! :bang:

Congrats guys and girls on a good ride.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Attached Files:

12. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    To boot he is just a nice guy that smokes when he drinks.:lol:

Hey he said it Darin, on his South America blog.:)

13. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Tim started out on the tandem, but his awesome strength tore through the hubs--or something--major mechanical, I think they shredded the hub body somehow?!?!?!

When we were up at Beeks, one guy had already broken his chain 3 x's, but continued on--yikes! I would have taken that as a sign and turned around, kudos to his tenacity.

I think those were the major mechancals.

14. TrailBlaza

TrailBlaza New Member

Who won the damn race already

15. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Not a race, didn't you hear? It's a quest ;)

There are only two people who can complete this course in record time (without racing of course), Manny and Cameron. Cameron didn't ride.

16. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Is it just me, or do Manuel Prodo and Gene bear a slight resemblance?

17. Impy

Impy Active Member

WOW what a day! I started off calm and in a zen place where it was fine if I hit the cutoff and fine if I didn't, and just concentrated on enjoying the ride. The weather was awesome! THANKS to all the warrior society folks and volunteers for your most excellent event and hard work.

Thanks to AL (aosty)! Unfortunately he felt sick and dnf'd at aid #1. (he has a collection of feathers already so it wasn't too tragic) But because of this he was able, with my friend tracy to run "pit" at aids 1 & 2. This was critical at aid #2 (read on to see...)

Highlights:
    hugh and donkey on Blackstar with an airhorn yelling "MISS COLETTE!"

Dropping my chain underneath the chainring (sometimes a ride ending event as it gets very wedged on my 1 x 9) after gate #1 on the end of motorway. Thought I was DNF at that point. Disappointment!! Managed to wrangle it out. Excitement!!! Sorry to those who almost got hit by my butt sticking out on the trail as I was wrestling with my bike.

Seeing Tracy (JimN's wife) and Ryan(Black Bart) and Al(aosty) at aid#1. Al was feeling sick and decided to bail. Ryan's bike was in pieces and I though he'd bail too, but he passed me later on maple. Despite 2 flats and sidewall slash he kicked butt.

Twinges of cramps on Maple. I'm glad I was alone at that moment because I started talking to myself like a crazy lady - "NO NO NO YOU WILL NOT DO THIS". Amazingly, the cramps listened and stayed away (the endurolytes probably helped too).

Meeting up with STjunkie (scott) on Maple. Climbed a good portion with him. Awesome to climb that with a friend. Weather was perfect, toes thawed out!

SO excited that the majority of the snow had melted, and there was a line through the rest!!!!

Descending upper Holy Jim I'm riding a bunch and then....a flat! OH NOES. I knew I was making good time up until then. I go to fix it and realize ..... I have bolt on skewers and I FORGOT MY ALLEN WRENCH. So I'm sitting on holy jim with a flat I can't fix at 1105am. I know that's it for my race. I text Al to let him know I will be delayed. A few people go by and then Gene and his buddies come by and Larry loans me his multitool! I am saved and don't have to walk down the mountain!! I fix the tire in my slow fashion. Abui passes me while I am fixing it. Eventually I start rolling almost immediately I pass ABUI who now is fixing a flat too. I don't even look at the clock. I just know I've missed the cutoff, but I decide to descend as fast as possible just to see how fast I could have made it. I was having so much fun, it was a great descent. I was so happy - I was so content to know that I COULD HAVE made the cutoff if I hadn't had a flat, but I don't have to do WHT!! I happily splash though the creeks because I'm done! I am done !!! Who cares if feet are wet, dry socks in the car!!!

I roll up to aid station 2 moments before Vicky and Abui. Have no idea of the time, hadn't bothered to look at my clock. The officials say GO!!!!!! Ack! What? But I thought I was done!? Al and Tracy are there and I say "But what if I don't want to do this" and Al is "Shut up and GO GO GO". I am so glad he did that!!! So off I go to WHT.

I got to meet Kishme and Pho'd up on WHT. Thanks to Gene who was so inspirational and cheerful and watching out for us all as we truged upwards. Man that was a long walk. Everything ached. But my zen continued and I knew I'd make it. When Gene said "2 more switchbacks" I was so happy!!!.

Wrecker was at the top! I ate a hamburger! There were kids and a dog!

I had been terrified for months of Trabuco. Last time I rode over a year ago I walked some of the exposed parts. I was so afraid I'd fly off the trail yesterday, being tired and all. I was all ready to get off at the scary part and walk.......Much to my surprise it didn't seem very scary at all and was really fun. Go figure.

Thanks everyone. I enjoyed meeting so many people on the ride. I was the one with the Dumbo on the bike and I know I chatted with many of you!

18. SScheetz

SScheetz Cracking frames since '88

CAD systems support
    Your cheering at the top was so cool! Thanks for all the encouragement; it always helps me push harder.

19. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    Wow what a great day! Like many have said a huge thanks to the Warrior Society. That was a very well run event.

I guess I got my reservation pretty shortly after it opened as my number was #3.

I picked up my buddy at the finish line and we headed to the start. I know it was cold but with all the adrenaline I really wasn't that cold. I had bib shorts on, knee warmers, wool arm warmers and fingerless roadie gloves. No jacket or vest.

My buddy was doing the CC and I was doing the VQ. We had different cut off times and therefore rode at much different paces. I tried to keep my pace in check out of the gate and not pass people. After a short while I started making moves and passed a lot of people on the climb. Now I started out mid-pack, so there were plenty still ahead of me.

In hind sight I went out way to fast. I knew going into the "event" I had to keep an average speed of 6 miles an hour. I watched that number on my computer more than any other. By Beeks I was averaging close to 8.

I felt really strong all the way into Aid Station #1. I was told going into the event that the climb out of Maple Springs sucks and will be a mental low for the day. And boy was it ever. I really started sucking wind on the climb and really didn't recover until the peak. I was getting behind on my water intake and really wasn't eating much of anything. My stomach was feeling quezy, and my head started to spin a little. Several times I wanted to stop for a few. But I just kept pedalling.

Really glad I didn't take my warmer stuff off at Maple Springs because it got pretty darn cold around the summit. Just below the peak I met CRyan (SP?) He was on an orange Surly SS. Nice guy. My cut off sheet, courtesy of Gene said I needed to be at the peak by 11:00. I summited at 10:00 so I was feeling really darn good at that point.

My mechanical problems started on the descent. Going into the event I had a rear brake that was a little low on fluid. Not sure what changed but the brake was useless after the peak. I mean lever all the way to the grip and no braking power. Descending UHJ with no rear break was interesting but I managed to ride nearly all of it. LHJ was a real blast, that is a fun descent.

I got into Aid Station #2 at the bottom of Holy Jim at 11:00 and the cut off was 12. Again feeling really good about my time. Just to make sure everything was right I asked one of the volunteers wearing a WS shirt that this was in fact the last cut off. He then tells me it's 3 mile up the trail at the bottom of WHT. So I think WFT. I'm glad I was ahead of my schedule and take off far too quickly. I managed to fill two bottles and down a V8. In my haste I left one bottle behind, leaving me with one bottle with 2 scoops of Sustained Energy and one empty bottle. Got to meet Andy aka Rut finally. We talked for a bit while making out way to WHT. The best is when I get to the bottom of WHT the volunteer there tells me the last cut off is back at the aid station. Really wish I wouldn't have needed to push hard that last section and left stuff at Holy Jim. I left my carrying system I rigged up so I didn't get to put that to use. :(

WHT really did suck. No way around it. The unofficial aid station at the top was a god send. Mmm salty chips! The only solid food I eat all day (save 2 dates that didn't want to go down). Trabuco was a blast but the tight turns at speed were rather difficult with no rear brake.

Back at Holy Jim I just start to take off and heard another rider arriving. I look back and it's my buddy doing the CC. Amazing timing. I hadn't seen him since the start and now we get to ride out together! Well not so fast.

About 2-2.5 miles from the finish my front tire blows off the rim going close to 20mph. I luckly was able to stop without incident. I through in more Stans and used CO2 to inflate the wheel. No go, it will not seal up - plus there was a 2-3 mm gash in the sidewall. Krisztian had to take off to get to a wedding and leaves me with a tube. Turns out the tube is a schrader of all things. I then get a tube from another rider but it's a 26" tube. I stretch out the tube and start putting it in. Mind you I have never been able to successfully inflate this wheelset with a tube, NEVER. And once again the tube gets a hole durring installation and will not hold air.

At this point I give up and face the fact that I'm walking out. So I basically ran with my bike most of the way out. After 53 miles of riding I end up running my bike out the last 2 miles. I had many offeres for assistance but at that point I had little hope anything was going to work and was pretty darn sure I would walk. Crossing the finish line while running and everyone chearing me on was really encouraging. I must say it was all a bit of a blur though. I remember someone running up to be and handing me a beer. That was cool!

No idea what my final time was. I know it would have been a lot less with out the flat. But what a great day. Sorry for the dissertation. Thanks for reading.

20. jrm

jrm New Member

Transportation Planner
    Well done

good ride

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.