2008 STR Weight-Loss Challenge (official thread)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ODB, Dec 9, 2007.

1. SKINNY

SKINNY Lube, Ride, Repeat

Home Page:
    That is good advice.. Proportions these days are out of control..

2. katonk

katonk .

Just wanted to thank everyone in the weight loss challenge. Although I am not officially entered, the group's ideas, determination and general motivation have been of major benefit to me. Those of you who've met me know that I'm struggling with my weight. At my heaviest I was about 255, up from 150. Riding my bike and cutting out the soda and fries got me down to about 212. Not bad, but no matter how hard I tried I stayed at 212. 212 for over a year. It was this thread that got me motivated to dramatically change my diet. Since mid December I'm down to 197 and still dropping. A weight of 199 was a major physiological goal for me. I'm technically no longer a cylde. My next goal of 180 doesn't seem all that impossible.

A special thanks goes out to mtnbikerfred. His diet advice (Boca burgers) really put me over the top. I always assumed "healthy" food was nasty. I've since turned the way I eat on it's side.

3. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

DFL > DNF

Excellent motto, Katonk. And good job on the weight loss. :clap: I only wish i were doing as well. 8-[

4. Flat Broke

Flat Broke Bikes don't kill bunnies

Jack of all trades, master of some
    Sorry for the late update for Feb. Anyhow, the scale hasn't moved much, but at least it's moving in the right direction. Started at 272, down to 266.2 thus far, so a loss of 5.8lbs.

No excuses here. I haven't been watching what I'm eating as close as I should, and I've put very few miles on the bike for various reasons. We'll see how I do down the home stretch.

At least I got the ghetto hitch on the trailer swapped out for a Burley unit so I don't have to keep the pedal under the arch of my left foot when I'm towing the trailer :bang:

Chris

5. Bellvis

Bellvis BUFFALO SOLDIER

Dungeon Master
    Home Page:
    Is it to late to enter?

I started training and working out with my friends who are kick-boxers and UFC fighters on Jan. 19.

As of Feb. 21 ive lost 21lbs. I started at 229 and weighed in on Feb. 21 at 208lbs. I still have 3 more weeks of this also.

6. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

Go ahead and post up your progress if you like. I'm not adding anymore folks to the original post or to the contest, however. Sorry.

Nice job! :clap:

7. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

thats pretty cool man... there is gonna be a Gracie academy opening up in Irvine that i was thinking about joining

8. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    I remember reading somewhere that like if you go to olive garden and just get a regular plate of pasta, it will have like over 2,000 calories in just the pasta and that doesn't include the bread you eat before and the calories from the drink. Plus if you get alfredo sauce the calories go WAY up because of the sauce.

9. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist
    Anyone gonna weigh in for March 1st??? or are we gonna keep up the suspense for next month?

10. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

Go ahead and post up if you like and I'll update the standings. I had hoped that more people would've done a Feb. 1 weigh-in. I sense waning enthusiasm for the challenge among a lot of the participants ... and perhaps cagey strategy by a few who are playing for the big win. :?:

As of this morning, i'm at 185, down a total of 9 pounds. Gonna have to work hard in March to reach my goal of getting under 180. Looking forward to the time change next week and getting more miles in. :bang:

11. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

I too had hoped to see more people weigh-in!
    Some are choosing not to weigh themselves.

In Pugzie's case, he does not own a scale! He refuses to look at the scale until April 1st! I know how much he weighs though! :D Uhh... he is DESTROYING the competition! Step-up people! .....One month to catch him! :clap:

Good Luck :beer:

12. ohyeah89

Water Biologist
    = good for me (in terms of getting a prize)! This is the most consistant I have been for a long time.

Yeah, I thought about that too but although it would be nice to win the big prizes, I figure if I share info and motivation perhaps the good karma will help out more in the end...

Will do, as soon as I get home. I weighed-in on the first at 8pm, took the pic and now have forgotten the exact number (decimal digit), it's 146.something.

I've been posting daily on a blog that I started for this challenge, since I didn't want to clog up the STR forums everyday with random thoughts/motivation/food/activity.

CONGRATS!!! That's great, every pound counts, esp NINE! I can't wait for daylight savings either; I plan to do the Turnbull fireroad twice (perhaps 3x when I get faster, it took about 30 min up this sat) a few days a week so I don't have to go to the gym (its getting old)...

Congrats to everyone else who've been working hard as well and good luck for this next month! Let's keep pluggin away =)

13. nomad

nomad New Member

truck mechanic
    196 this morning.Im at a sticking point. Strugling with staying on the diet on the weekends.

14. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

congrats for getting under 200 robert!

i haven't weighed myself lately, i'm guessing i'm still around 185

15. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    Two four-day trips to Sonoma in one month do NOT help the diet. :mad:

I'm at 198, so that's only 1.5 lbs for the month. Oh well, the dinners and the night at Bear Republic Brewing were worth it. :beer:

Good luck to everyone!

16. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

205 lbs. as of this morning. No doubt that I'm shedding weight. Not as quick as I had hoped but I'm burning fat and gaining some muscle back in the process. Usually that's not the quickest way to loose weight but is the most effective and healthier long term. Funny how much faster you feel by just losing a few lbs. My climb times have been slowly but surely dropping.

We'll see if I can get @ 200 lbs. or just under by April. It'll be tight but I'll give it a roll.

17. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    I hit a wall this month and did not drop much weight but changed the diet a bit and the muscle started to come back. Not that that is a bad thing but it just makes it harder to drop the lbs for the next couple of weeks.
    Although the weight is not down much I did loose 3" off the waist although the inner tube is still protecting the keg. 8-[

Only number I have this month is weight loss

'03 March 2008 - 290lbs down 2lbs from last month

I am about to go jump on the Precor while the rest of the family sleeps, try and sweat another two pounds off. If I do I will post up 288 afterwards. ;)

18. ohyeah89

Water Biologist
    March Weigh-In

On 3/1, I was 146.4 but I had gone on a pretty long ride that day... Yesterday I weighed in at ~148. I dunno which one to go with so might as well go with the higher weight? I have a feeling this month is gonna be TOUGH! I'm shooting to be at 144 by April 1st... we'll see what happens though.

19. graves.z

graves.z Enduro Plebe

Quality Assurance Technician
    I weighed myself on sunday and totally forgot to post it. I'm at 242.8 as of 03/02/08. On the bright side I'm down almost 13% body fat...I just keep building muscle. Guess I can't complain.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2008
  20. rjrbignell

rjrbignell owed a living

bike shop employee / independant contractor
    Holy cow, 207. I need to get back on the wagon.