2 CA riders hit by car on video

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by fongster, Apr 26, 2012.

1. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

That's what got me, too! All those cars passed by while those two riders were pulling themselves off the ground. All just as bad.

2. Rossage

Rossage Active Member

I've been hit 4 times, only once did the driver stop. All 4 times I ended up on the ground-with damage to my body and bike. Be safe out there...

3. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

People suck.

4. Jayman

Jayman Member

5. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

"Campbell said the top three type of bicycle-car crashes involve turning movements in an intersection; incidents where a motorist park a car and then opens a door, striking a bicyclist passing by; and when a bicyclist rides on the wrong side of the street."

Once there somebody above talking about doing two of these three at the same time? Doh!

6. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    Everyone's moaning on the news and youtube comments about them running the stops. I agree the cyclists are wrong for doing it. So, here's a solution...cite them for doing that and then throw that druggy H and R felon in the slammer--again.

7. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

Campbell said the accident highlights the need for a bike lane in that area, an idea that Caltrans and the cities of Oakland and Berkeley have been working on.
    "That road is close to the highway and motorists tend to speed up when they get there, as they get ready to get on the highway," he said. "That's why it's important to get a bike lane there."

What a political opportunist. Those guys were nowhere near being in a traffic lane. A bike lane wouldn't of helped them. A bike lane can't protect you from a person who is intoxicated.

On a different note.
    He was on parole from a 2010 case for possession of a switchblade, police said.

Yeah right... :-k I don't think that's the whole story

8. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

I've been forced to stay extra alert on the roads due to bikers, which isn't a bad thing. It's more the kids than the grown-ups, since they lack hi-vis clothes (at night) and typically don't follow the rules of the road.

Before, with my lack of alertness, not expecting riders to be around, I had a near incident where I was forced to emergency stop and had my passenger scream out in surprise/shock. I now look both ways, including around parked cars and on the sidewalks, before making right turns, as riders are sometimes at the intersection's sidewalk, going against traffic, and looking to cross. If you only look momentarily to the right before you watch for incoming traffic to the left, they may just assume that you saw them and then begin to cross. If you're like me (and missed seeing the rider, or assumed they were taking a left along the sidewalk), you release the brakes and begin pulling out, before looking forward or to the right again. It's a surprising sight to all involved to have the biker crossing just 5-10 ft in front of the car, with the car starting to accelerate right at that moment. I was pretty close to bumping him... I would've nailed his rear wheel at least, if I didn't hit the brakes and turn a little.

Also, kids don't wear high vis clothes, which is especially dangerous on unlit streets. There's a few stretches of road that narrow enough, without a shoulder and without street lights, that a rider must share the road with traffic that I frequent. Going east along Nuevo Rd (Perris) towards Evans Rd is where I had a near incident. My car's headlights aren't the greatest, I guess, or they're aimed too low, so going 55 MPH, I didn't see this guy until pretty late. Don't think I gave him too much clearance. If he was wobbly just a bit or wanted to avoid something in the road, that could've been disastrous. Looked like he was hauling quite a load on his back. Normally, if I note blinky lights or reflectors, I'd at least momentarily turn on the high beams to better register the rider in my head, but this guy was practically stealth, with only his movement creating a barely noticeable silhouette.

Probably doesn't belong in this specific thread. I guess I wanted to get that bit of stress out.