Road Ride Report 122 miles around Las Vegas...

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by davidB, Oct 12, 2009.

1. davidB

davidB Active Member

2009 RTC Viva Bike Vegas

Geoladders route

A couple months ago this thread was posted up...
    http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/roadie-hangout/39725-rtc-las-vegas.html

...some peer pressure later and 5 of us signed up not knowing what to expect. Myself, Chewyeti/Aaron, Jay/Jay, graves.z/Zach, and Mark/mfoga all got ourselves to Vegas on Friday and met up for dinner that night. Some great food, some worries, a lot of anticipation, and the option of bailing halfway and doing the 62 mile ride and all seemed well.

Luckily the ride starts not too far north of the strip where we were at, so in no time at all we were ready and staged on Saturday morning.

[​IMG]
    Aaron, Jay, Zach, and myself. Mark had disappeared for a while and showed up just before the 6:30am start.

[​IMG]
    The yellow signs on either side were there to have riders staged in different areas based on speed (10-15mph, 15-20mph, etc) so the fast guys got out ahead and the slower folks didn't get in anyone's way. We planted ourselves right in the middle.

I forgot to turn my gps on so I stopped a few feet after the start line. I watched a couple hundred people pass me while I waited for my gps to find a connection. I didn't get started for a couple minutes and when I did I took off on a sprint.

[​IMG]
    The first 10 miles were a blast. I was sprinting to catch up to the other 4 guys and passed at least 100 people in doing so. I probably got some funny looks, but rolling through major intersections that the cops had blocked off was so much fun when hauling ass.

I caught Mark after 8.5 miles, out of breath, and with a killer climb just before me. It wasn't all that hard, but so early and cold in the morning it quickly put everyone in their place.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't catch Zach/Jay/Aaron until the first aid station at mile 17. After the awesome descent that went on forever, everyone was still in great spirits.

[​IMG]

I felt ok but really didn't think I had another 100 miles in me. It was too early, too cold, blah blah blah. The aid station helped but the views and awesomeness of riding out in the cool desert with no traffic and tons of other riders really helped.

[​IMG]

Jay and Mark with tons of riders behind them just after leaving aid station #1.

A couple rolling hills and we get another long descent. I'm rolling with Zach and trying to take a picture of the city we're rolling down into. As i'm doing so he points.

[​IMG]

Not paying attention I ask him what's up, he says he thinks we're going over the next hill too. We did.

[​IMG]

And Zach wasn't as talkative .

[​IMG]

We got a pretty good downhill toward Lake Mead and people were really spreading out now.

[​IMG]

I see a few riders out ahead of me and knew the other guys were not too far behind. I slow down a bit and see this when I look behind me....

[​IMG]

Not wanting to get eaten alive, I have another random urge to hit the gas and I start moving again. Things had flattened out and just an hour before I was riding with fellow riders all around, not so anymore.

I felt meh and this was only at around mile 30.

[​IMG]

I slow down a bit and inexplicably get passed by Jay/Aaron and two other guys at Mach 2.5. I later heard from Aaron that Jay for no other reason than to catch me put his head down and took off to catch me. Still the weirdest thing to see only 30 miles in out in the middle of nowhere!

I catch up again and sit behind this for a while.
    [​IMG]

Life is good drafting behind those two, but it was starting to warm up. We caught a good sized group and again had some random hill climb that hurt.

[​IMG]

Aid Station #2. We must have been here forever, but we raided it for everything they had.

[​IMG]

Most other riders were doing the same. Longer lines to the restrooms, more eating and drinking, more lingering around and putting off the inevitable.

Chewy and I get out front and start hauling ass near Bootleg Canyon. We reel in anyone we can find and life is great.

[​IMG]

It was nice to see the cops still blocking off traffic at mile 50

[​IMG]

Aaron and I get a few compliments from some guys we catch and pass somewhere after Boulder City. It might have been a bad idea to go so fast but at the time we had all the energy in the world.

Life was still good.

[​IMG]

The next aid station was ran by the boy scouts. And they know how to do it. The kids would fill up your water bottles, the parents were pretty fun and encouraging, and they had donuts and other homemade goodies!

[​IMG]

We all regrouped again and took off. We could see Las Vegas down the hill and the reality of doing another 60+ miles was starting to set in. We started rolling into the city again and getting stopped at most every signal crossing there was.

Mark starting feeling a little bit ambitious and took off ahead at one point. Had to snap a pic of that happening

[​IMG]

We picked up a few guys, one of which kept saying we were moving at a decent pace and he was trying to hold on. A couple other fast guys and we were all moving pretty quick again.

[​IMG]

It was good to be riding with other people again but Jay, Chewy and myself eventually dropped them for whatever reason.

Bad news was that in doing so, we got lost. They had detoured the route and told everyone. They gave us a map, they gave us turn by turn directions. None of us had those with us and we took a 4 mile detour.

We got back on track and rode in with a bunch of other riders.

[​IMG]

We roll into where we started hours before and hit up the last aid station on the first half. Stuffed our jerseys full of shot blocks, gu's, etc.

[​IMG]

I had my girlfriend waiting patiently at this point and I unloaded all sorts of stuff I had stockpiled.

Outback was serving lunch until 3pm. If you didn't think you could make it back to the finish by then they suggested eating halfway through. Mark and Zach called it quits and got to enjoy the party. I would have stayed for lunch then headed out for another 50 miles but supposedly this is a bad idea.

A lot of people who signed up for the 118 ride cut their ride short after 62. This meant even less people to ride with on the 2nd half.

The first half was over and the hardest parts remained.

2. davidB

davidB Active Member

2nd half - getting our climb on

After we left Mark and Zach, the remaining 3 of us set out for what I thought would be a flat ride out to the Redrock area. We were following the 35 mile ride route so I figured it couldn't be that hard. Wrong. It was a straight 12 mile climb from the center of town to the eastern city limits.

We initially took off with a group from the local Vegas cycling club/website.

[​IMG]

The return trip would have us going back the other way on this street. At times we saw riders returning and finishing their ride, while we had another 40+ to go.

The two other guys were hurting. I heard Aaron say he needed to stop to pop some pills. Jay didn't stop, and probably couldn't. Chewy and I stop for 5 minutes as I watch him puke all over the curb and attempt to swallow some water and pills. Not fun

[​IMG]

Aid Station #5 ran by the UNLV baseball team and another 19 miles to the next break.

I honestly thought I was going to be only one of us 3 to finish. Jay was hurting and Chewy looked worse.

We took off downhill by ourselves and I was feeling great. I don't know why that is. I always feel like crap for the first 25 miles, but around mile 70 I always seem to feel good.

[​IMG]

We roll through Red Rock Country Club with no traffic, and even fewer cyclists. We found one guy with a flat tire that needed some help, but after a few minutes a SAG Support truck pulled up to help and we were off again.

At times we could see downtown far away but knew we had many miles to go. Vegas way out in the distance...

[​IMG]

Then we took the turn towards the Blue Diamond/Red Rock area. We always found ourselves with the same handful of fellow riders and we all knew the hardest climb came at around mile 90.

[​IMG]

There was considerably less talking going on. Less everything but peaceful at the same time. We had perfect weather and were away from everything.

You could argue that riding the road is boring, and I might have agreed at this point, but I would have argued that it was great at the same time.

[​IMG]

The views were great and looked fake half the time.

I pull ahead and knowing Aaron and Jay were behind me a bit and with no one ahead of me that I could see, I enjoyed the views and cruised into aid station #6 with a group of girls from the local club.

[​IMG]

We take a seat for a while and I see this...

[​IMG]
    Seemed our jerseys and face were covered in salt and we had no turn around point anymore.

Even less people at this aid station, though everyone's spirits seemed to be doing well enough.

This may not seem like the best way to spend mile 90, but it is. I was enjoying life and all was good again.

[​IMG]

We hit mile 100 somewhere near the Red Rock scenic loop and find the last major climb of the ride. We were warned about it and no lies, it wasn't all that fun, but I found this guy from HB who I talked to for a bit as we climbed.

[​IMG]

There seemed to be quite a few other people from California doing this ride judging by the jerseys I saw. Red Rock was exactly that and pretty cool to see in person. There were some runners out there doing their thing and I wouldn't blame them.

I tried to catch every rider I saw and was pretty sucessful in doing so. I got over the climb and wondered if that was it. I don't know what I did right, but I felt good and knew the ride was almost over.

I pulled up to the last aid station all alone and waited for the other guys. Sitting down for me seems to work. I didnt need to eat or drink much but getting my butt off my saddle and sitting down works wonders for me.

Eventually Chewy pulls in

[​IMG]

And eventually so did Jay who wanted to chat up the girls from UNLV that were working the aid station.

[​IMG]

The ride was all but over but a mere 12 more miles to go. Most of it was the down the climb we had tackled 40 miles before.

We found ourselves riding with the other people we had seen for the last couple hours.

A few blocks from the finish I drop my chain at a signal and lose the group for a while. I cheated a red light but never caught up.

Rolling into the finish there was considerably less people. The party had died down. I see this again as I finish feeling good.

[​IMG]

Jay, Aaron and his lady, and my significant other were there. A few other workers still cheering us on and life was good.

[​IMG]

We all went back to our hotel to shower and rest, then hit up the buffet at The Mirage that evening and swapped stories.

Good times :beer:

3. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Good job guys!!! However I like you guys better in MTB attire, just sayin'................;)

4. Dizle

Dizle Gear Masher

Professional Student
    Looks like good times, wish I could have gone! I think riding in the desert like that would be a lot more mentally challenging than riding in so cal....mile after mile of dirt!

I'll try to make the next one you guys do..

5. H2oChick

H2oChick Active Member

Great job guys! Who's bright idea was this?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2009
  6. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Ok so I didnt do 122 mile only 62 per event but my gps said a few more:?:.

This was by far the hardest ride I have done. I was not well prepared, I had traveled like crazy for work last few weeks, had done almost no miles in 2 weeks, and was getting over a cold but was still going for it. I had signed up for 118 in the case I was feeling good but had planned to do 62 in reality.

I started of really slow trying to get a warm up but almost immediately my left knee was hurting and once we climbed it got much worse. The cold air was making my nose run, breathing through mouth made my thought like I was sucking down glass and was coughing up crap from my lungs. I had to grind most all the hills in the easiest gear I had(would have not made it if not for the triple front crankset). The first climb I got passed by hundreds of riders, even a few turtles and snails I think. Once I hit the top and saw the downhill part I knew I needed to catch up to the rest so I tucked as low as I could and pedaled until I was spun out. I passed a lot of the same people who passed me on the way up:lol:.

Got to aid station and was winded a little still and knee was in pain some but that downhill section had put a smile on my face. Got some water, and some food and then headed off with the group for a bit. Once we started to climb I watched everyone just leave me once again, and shortly after began the worst part of the ride for me. It seemed like we just kept climbing. I would pass a lot of people on the flat/dh sections again only to have them blow right by me on the climbs. I don't think I saw the group again until Bolder City. I was hurting bad, knees killing, legs were very tired. I could have rested a little longer but didnt want to slow the rest down so we headed out only to climb more and see anyone riding just leave me once again.

I finally saw got to top of hill and say what looked like most all DH to vegas, suddenly I felt much better.:lol: I took off and tried to make up as much time on the rest of the group as I could. I had most people riding around me really confused at this point I couldnt hang with anyone on the climbs but the flats and DH I was passing people left and right and not feeling like I was working to had to do so. Finally hit the last aid station but saw it at last min after seeing tents in another lot mile or so up road, so had to stop fast and did a nice power slide into the aid station.

From there it was slight DH or flat and finally got to ride with the group again. We were moving at that point dropping most people who tried to jump on our train. They started to slow so I felt I should do my turn pulling only to be greeted with the words "oh hell no" as I passed but I had taken off to fast I guess and looked back to see no one with me. Then we had to slight climb back up , a few miss timed light and complete lack of ability to climb anything at this point and sudden major knee pain I was all alone again. Finally found Zack and we rode back into the finish area (well for us). We looked and no Jay, no Aaron, no David. We wait and then we find out we beat them and they had got lost.

We made sure they didnt need anything we had and watched them take off and we crossed the 62 mile finish line. Had a nice lunch provided by Outback (prime rib and chicken). I felt much better after lunch and both myself and Zack had the stupid idea that we could keep going, but we had changed shoes and didnt want to get ready again:lol:. Went to the hotel, got cleaned up ordered pizzas and chilled wondering how bad it was. About 5:30 Jay knocks on door and looks like death warmed over. Went to dinner laster swapped stories and most everyone just crashed afterwards.

Ended up with 63.53 mile with 3315 ft of assent per GPS and average of 13.1 mph over 4:51 (including stops) I did hit 42mph on the descents (wish I had more gear).

62 mile route
    [​IMG]

I will go back and redeem myself next year and do the 118, hopefully in better shape, no knee pain and no cold.

7. Jay

Jay Round is a lifestyle.

Whatever pays the bills
    I will start out by saying this ride was the most mentally challenging ride for me EVER. There were times I was alone on the road, feeling like I could not go on. I road on knowing I had another 15 miles to the next aid station and then many more miles after that. I kept telling myself, the mind is stronger than my body and I will make it to the end. At no point did I ever even consider quitting. My options were to finish or be taken away in an ambulance…..I was not taken away in an ambulance, but it sure looks like I should have been.

The ride started very early. At 6:30am we speed away from downtown. It was chilly and we were rolling about 15 miles an hour. I wanted to get warmed up, so I picked the pace up to about 20mph. Chewy and Zach were right behind me and David and Mark were nowhere to be found. As we got further out of town, the three of us hooked up with a group and we were now rolling at 28mph. Heart rate was low and I didn’t feel like I was working that hard. We busted a right on Boulder highway and had a nice climb. I backed down the pace. Chewy pulled away and Zach and I took our time. After that was 6 to 8 miles of downhill. We coasted at 30 plus the first aid station. Mark and David arrived soon after. We all got fueled up and offer again. This was the most beautiful part of the ride for me. We were riding along Lake Mead watching the sunrise. It was awesome. This part of the ride was rolling hills and not too difficult.

We hit the next aid station. Took a little longer break, but we were soon off again. It started with a nice long climb. I dropped a chain and did not see David or Chewy again until the next aid station. Zach was on my wheel for most of the climb, but as this nice young lady passed me I decided to pick it up a bit and hopped on her wheel. We chatted and rode for about the next 5 miles until we hit the downhill towards Vegas. My svelt figure allowed coast away. She was a local and it was nice to get some info on the pain that would ensue on the 2nd half of the course. Rolled into the next aid station. Fueled up, gathered the troops and off again. We had about 15 miles to go to hit the half way part. We sped down towards Vegas sometimes hitting 28 mph. There was a slight climb coming into downtown and Chewy David and I dropped everyone. This would prove to be not so good as we missed one of the turns and added 4 miles to our ride. We go the ship going in the right direction and we arrived at the half way point.

Zach and Mark were waiting for us and said they were DONE. So Chewy David and I fueled up and started out. Little did we know it was 12 miles to the next aid station and it was all climbing. I started to feel my legs cramp up. I know the feeling well from other rides. I just took it easy and spun. Even though it was taking it easy, I would have to battle my legs cramping for the rest of the ride. I made it to the top. All three of us took a long break, chewy and I were having problems eating at this point, but I forced myself. Off we go again. We were riding at the edge of town on city streets. The pace was slow, but fairly flat. We stopped to help out another rider with a flat and I decided to ask him how we get back. He said we have to around this mountain here on my right. I though to myself… are you effen kidding me. They he says there is a good climb out of the valley to get back over the hill. I look down at my GPS and we still have 40 miles to go. The sag truck pulls up right then to help out so we take off. I am seriously pondering my decision to even attempt this ride, but push on. We ride out into the desert and bust a right. As we start up the road, it is all up AGAIN. It looks like it goes on forever. I now have about 12 miles to the next aid station. During this climb I seriously wonder if my body will make it….. My mind was made up, but I was hoping my body would listen. Finally make it to the next aid station. I am dreading getting back on the bike because everyone had told me of this awful climb to get back over the mountain. We start out and David takes off. Chewy and I are rolling are a blazing pace of 8 mph. I could see the vultures circling over head. The huge climb that was talked about never appeared. It was just a series of small rolling hills. The last one we got to I decided to try and hammer up it. I think every muscle in my leg cramped…..I pushed through it and made it to the top. From there we coasted a mile down the road, made a left and had 2 blocks of climbing to the next aid station. The wonderful thing about the last aid station is we all knew it was 12 miles of downhill back to the start. You may be wondering how we know this….well this was the initial 12 mile climb from the half way point. As we left the last aid station, I felt relieved. I am going to make it. We seemed to hit every damn light going toward home…it was very annoying. We rolled in to the finish. Trish gave me a ride back to the hotel and I went straight to the jacuzzi. Later was a shower followed by the buffet. I think I got my moneys worth.

Even with all of the pain and agony that ensued, I had a blast and look forward to doing it again next year. The event was extremely well run and all of the volunteers were extremely nice. I don’t think I have been to a better run event.

Some final status for me. 123.8 miles - 7:43 ride time - 10337 calories burned

8. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

Best Ride Ever!

I'm going to preface this and say this was the MOST FUN road ride ever.

Anyway, Awesome people to ride with, a well run event, and overall a great weekend worth coming back to. Southern Nevada is GORGEOUS.

Start of the day...
    0600. Dark, Cool, 600 happy people? :lol:
    Zack is optimistic
    [​IMG]

Elvis... Sung "viva bike vegas". It was one of those things you halfway expected.....
    [​IMG]

And We're OFF! blazing down the streets of vegas. Seriously killer. Cops blocked off the WHOLE ROAD in sections, and stopped traffic at all the others. RAD!
    [​IMG]

Startin the not so bad warm up climb up toward lake mead....

It thinned out here.
    [​IMG]

Continuing on.
    Jay, Dave, Mark, and Zack are somewhere behind me.
    [​IMG]

Why am I happy? Its gorgeous out here!

[​IMG]

SUNRISE OVER THE DESERT = AWESOME!
    Then, ~6-7 miles of pure rolling down to the desert floor toward lake mead!

[​IMG]

Keep on truckin! Nice rollers through lake mead recreational area!
    [​IMG]

Commandeered a whole parkway over by bootleg canyon. Made me want my nomad for a post ride DH run..
    We (dave and I) started reeling tons of people in on this stretch as we approached henderson.
    [​IMG]

Hey ugly!
    [​IMG]
    (white bar tape is sooooo stock. Red/Black Cow = mo betta!)

Cruisin on down to searchlight highway, by the RR pass casino :)
    This is shortly before dave tried to kill me, and i had to ride out 100 yds of 'wake the f*** up' bumps because i apparently was sucking the wheel of a blind guy? (Your eyesight sucks dave! :lol::lol::lol:)
    [​IMG]

The road bump who sucked my wheel and then started feeling good in the back half of the 118......(so much for returning the favor)

[​IMG]

The clowns eating radioactive rest stop food?
    [​IMG]

So we get to the half way point. 62 miles. I feel AWESOME.

12 mile climb later. I had puked once. Couldnt swallow solid food. Couldnt sweat, hard to drink water. Royally Fubar. Not gonna quit.

Up the alta street climb, there is a rest stop. I think, i feel way better after hydrating, eating, and look like a million bucks (horrendous salt face!)
    [​IMG]

Jay is fairing a little better in the body department. I recovered a little bit.

Jay -
    [​IMG]

Keep on trucking. Its gorgeous out here. This road was reaaal nice. Rest stop about 10 miles ahead. Figured there was only 1000 feet left of climb according to my garmin, and around 24 miles to cover it, before a 12 mile downhill back to the start.... how bad could it be?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So i get within 3 miles of the 2nd to last rest stop.... start feeling like microwaved death on a paper plate.
    I stopped sweating again, i tried to drink, couldnt. I tried to stomach a granola bar, sorta worked. 3 miles... thats all i had to get.

Arrive at the rest stop.... only a little more climbing after this. 20 miles left... ~800 feet to cover in 6 miles or so. No biggy...

I try to swallow endurolytes at the aid station. Puked again. Lovely. Stomach some cookies, my 8th banana of the day, sucked some more electrolytes down and felt like lukewarm death.

Had to crest the hill, and all downhill from there!
    Hardest !4 miles of my life. I began to cramp ~102 miles in.... nice subtle grade... just tryin to make it.

Red rock canyon felt more like death valley.... (emphasis on my death LOL)
    [​IMG]

The last little bitch to conquer before downhill...
    CRAMPED HARDCORE LIKE OMFG at the top on a cow grate. Right quad locked in the downstroke for a few hundred yards.

[​IMG]

Recovered from cramp. Rolled 12 miles downhill after that. Finished with 123 miles. Awesome ride.

[​IMG]

The last week has been crazy stressful. No riding, and tons of stress. I should have performed way better than this, as i have never been this crappy at the end of a century.

Weekend was Salvaged. I proposed to my girlfriend the following day. Life is good. :)

Attached Files:

• pp.jpg
      pp.jpg
      File size:
      59.2 KB
      Views:
  9. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

Sadly i think i roped people into it after reading diamondbacks original post.

It was an excuse to go to vegas?

Gotta take the obligatory Baker 100ft thermometer in the butt photo!
    :beer:

Attached Files:

• bb.jpg
      bb.jpg
      File size:
      34.6 KB
      Views:
  10. graves.z

graves.z Enduro Plebe

Quality Assurance Technician
    This was my first century (turned metric lol), and I had done little to no training for this as I had been sick for the month leading up to Vegas. I am not in great shape to begin with so I was probably optimistic bordering on the delusional to think I could even do the 118, so 62 miles it was. Of course it was 62 miles of some of the hardest riding I’ve done so I still feel good about it. I will beat this ride next year though...

As for the ride itself it was beautiful, peaceful and mentally challenging all at once. The solitude of cranking away in the desert with nothing but sand and sun for comfort can not be matched by anything in the OC that I’ve ever ridden. Every aid station was like a little victory for my poor mind and body. The staff and their support were awesome, and the refreshments are the only reason I even finished. The highlight of the ride for me was the almost religious moment of cresting the hill after boulder only to realize that that’s Vegas I see in the distance…Below me!! I almost cried it was such a wonderful sight.

When Mark and I pulled in I assessed how I felt and decided that I optimistically had 20 miles left in me before I would just collapse and called it quits at the 62 miler. After seeing Jay and hearing of Aarons difficulty keeping things down at the end I am so glad I did.

This was one of the most rewarding rides I have ever been on and I will definitely be back next year, as well as try to get as many centuries under my belt between now and then as I can.

11. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    Nice RR and pictures guys :bang:.

I want to try this next year now.

12. mtnkitty

mtnkitty Guest

Awesome RR and good job, guys! Looks like such a killer ride but you guys looked good doing it. That lycra, ooooh yeaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh lemme git sum!!!! :lol:

Congrats to you all - you guys are my heroes. ;)

13. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Awesome. Good job! Thanks for the post.

14. 1FG rider

1FG rider The G is for Gear

Its a secret...
    DAYUM! Nice RR guys.

15. brown chicken brown cow

brown chicken brown cow Member

thanks for a great RR!

way to go guys!!!
    i think i wanna play next year if for only the 62...

and congrats to you chewy...big step.
    i suggest a ceremony with a singing elvis :bang:

16. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    and so is there really any more debate if its genetic or a "life choice" :p

[​IMG]

17. Dusty

Dusty New Member

Med Staff Whatever
    You guys did an awesome job! You really pushed the limits. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Chewy, I have to agree, the desert is so pretty.

18. chevrolegs

chevrolegs Active Member

Good stuff guys!

Congrats Chewy!

19. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

BTW - Not ONE flat, nor mechanical in our group. AWESOME

20. BigMike

BigMike New Member

Motor Sports Sales
    Great RR and pics! I can't think of a better place to celebrate a ride like that than Vegas! Now I really want to do this next year