12 hrs of temecula

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by crispy, May 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    race #2 coming up, any takers?

2. CruIsRad!

CruIsRad! New Member

12 hours?

...ouch.

3. Red Hawk

Red Hawk New Member

goverment contractor, screenwriter (well hobbie un
    I'm intrested. This would be my first, how many people ride in this for how long? It works like a relay right?

4. CruIsRad!

CruIsRad! New Member

When is race #2?

5. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    I am in. Solo SS getting sexy!

6. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    you can have anywhere from 1 to 5 people on a team. I think its is like june 14th. Its fun. I do it with 2 of my buddies and we only get in like 11 or 12 laps but it sure makes for a fun weekend

7. lukewiens

lukewiens New Member

what size team are you looking to race with??

i am looking for 2 to race 3....coed, whatever.

8. PacMan

PacMan New Member

I'm interested for sure. I've always wanted to give a 12/24 Hour race a go. Now that I'm down 50+ lbs, I think I'm ready.

Being that it's still another 3 weeks out, that should be enough time for a few of us to get something going??

9. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    3 is good, then you get about 4 laps or 5 if you are faster or 3 if you are slower. I think 1 loop is like 10-11 miles long and doing it in an hour is easy

10. lukewiens

lukewiens New Member

i can put down some fairly fast laps out there...if you can find one more to commit lets do it. i don't want to go over a team of 3 though.

11. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    Well, at the moment I have 2 guys to do it with already, but one guy has work that day so I am gonna see if he can get the day off or not. As far as me for lap times, last race I did there was number 3 last year in like november and I was doing like 50-55 minute laps on the course.

I will find out from the one guy if he will get off work or not because I want to do the race regardless of whether he works or not.

12. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Are you guys out there to have fun, or is it a more serious thing with high placement in mind?

13. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    Me and my team go for fun. I am more into trying to get better times than the other two guys just because I like to improve my times and everything. But we don't have any goals of placing really.

14. PacMan

PacMan New Member

I would definitely be interested in joining a team. I'm not fast by any means, but I don't think I'm slow either.

I've never ridden at Vail Lake, so I'm not sure what kind of time I could turn in.

I can turn out a 80-90 minute loop at Daley Ranch in Escondido--12 miles/2,000' of gain--if that helps to give you more experienced guys an idea.

15. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    12 Hours of SoCal
    12 Hours of Temecula

All the same thing. :bang:

Here's the site (race is this Sat, 6/16, starts at 9AM sharp!):Blank

(I know it says "Blank" but it really is the site...)

Jason Ranoa (race org.) changed the name to SoCal earlier in the season, but then his notification this week comes out with the old Temecula name. Whatever -- it's still the same 10.6 mile track with 1,351 feet of climbing. Should be fun to do several times...

I'll be out there with my son Willie again (we raced in January when I grabbed the shot of SHINKEN climbing the Dam Hill, and then he showed me this site -- see the pic, below). Willie and I raced as a two man team -- The Old Man and The Kid -- and as mentioned you can go up to five on a team. You can also ride solo (they have geared as well as SS classes). Willie wants to do solo this time around. He's 11 and is the youngest racer Jason has had in the races he's put on out there at Vail Lake. Willie had a fantastic time out there, as did I. We didn't beat anybody (and we surely won't beat anyone this time either!), but it's all about the experience.

Here's a few of the pics I took as I raced (really!). I think I posted some of these already, but this is pertinent:

ST in the Alpenglow (well, good light, anyways...)
    [​IMG]

Top of Damn Climb
    [​IMG]

Jose on the Damn Climb
    [​IMG]

Hopefully we'll see some of you out there. I know that Shinken and sauce did it last time around, so perhaps we'll see you out there again. Look for us -- we'll be the slow ones!!!

Oh! One real eq. requirement: you MUST have a light! Lights will be required after 7:30PM during the race, so be prepared.

NiteRider had a big RV out there in January, so I assume they will have the same this time. You might be able to buy one of their excellent units on the spot (they offered free battery quick-charging, but were not loaning out lights as I recall).

shudder

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2007
  16. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    The actually added a couple new singletrack sections. The first one is after the damn climb, you get a real quick (fast) descent and then up again some more, do a sharp right and got a short but steep (and sandy) climb then some pretty nice single track across the ridge and a SANDY downhill. I am guess lots of riders will be going down there. Especially later in the day. Then there is another little single track section added after the baby heads part. Then another little single track section added after where that big canyon was and another STEEP climb. Hike a bike for mostly everyone with a neat steep tricky downhill right after that. I am looking forward to it. They even changed the bmx loop a little and there is a neat little jump you can hit if you aren't too tired and have the speed. I will be out there for sure camping friday night and saturday night

17. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Shudder - awesome photos! I really dig the first one of the sunset and (single?) track ;) I put that in parenthesis since it's not all totally single out there...

Good luck to both of you!

18. ghixon

ghixon Look Ma - No hands!

Sales
    Is this the same trail as the 24 Hour race a few months ago?

19. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    Interesting. I was unaware of new sections along the same route. In looking over at geoladders, I did a compare of the Jan race with this upcoming race map, and the way down from the Damn Climb Summit for this new race appears to be right in line with the track from the January race, down to the change where we will now go up the backside of and then down the hike-a-bike section (that we went up to get to the Dragonback ST in the Jan race).

I recall that being very steep and 'stepped' as we climbed up it in January (no way at all to ride up it, no matter how good you are, and now they want us to ride down it!!!).

So, where are you seeing these new bits of ST? Have you recently ridden the course?

Yeah, I noticed that we will now be going down a previous up section (and no Dragonback this time... 8-[ ) in the bmx area. Should be a fun loop (or, hopefully, several loops...).

Um, yeah... yer right -- most of what's in the pic is fireroads, actually. But, I can dream, right??? :?:

Thanks for the kudos and the best wishes. Should be a fun time.

shudder

20. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    I rode the course last saturday when it was all marked. You know after the damn climb when you go down and then it curves to the right and you start to climb some? Then it curves left and you go down a little and it curves right again? Well during the second curve right you don't curve right. You go straight and up. When you get to the top there you are on some single track. The drops you down back where you would have been if you didn't do that climb. You know where there is sort of like a jump thing on the left side of the trail or just off camber on the right. Another quarter mile and you are at that baby heads technical section. Then after that you continue on a little and cut right up some single track over the ltitle hill instead of around it like before and then you climb up that white hill that curves right at the top then you curve left and descend some more before going over that little hill and then down the sandy part where the big canyon thing was.

I jsut looked at the jan course and it looks quite a bit different then the one i just rode!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.