12 Hrs of Rim Nordic

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by mr.hobbs, Jun 20, 2009.

1. mr.hobbs

mr.hobbs New Member

Solid Gold dancer by night. Green Peace chairman b
    Well I stank up the trail. My lack of riding and healthy days showed it's ugly head today.
    At 3 miles into the 3rd lap, my legs cramped and locked up and my day was done.
    Just got off the scale at home and I'm 10lbs lighter than I should normaly be. So it looks like dehydration is the culpret.

The first 2 laps were so fun though.

2. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Thanks to Jason for another great race!! I'll post up more when I get home.

3. olis1

olis1 Member

Mechanical Engineer, Robotics
    Yes Jason. Awesome race. Much better then 110 F in Temecula. Actually was more like a January race doing the raffle and awards in 40 degree weather.

Oh, and I especially want to send a BIG thanks out to bikini girl! It made all that climb worth it! ;)

4. m210

m210 New Member

art director, designer
    Home Page:
    awesome race.... but very hard. finished 10th in expert solo and i can say that finish was harder then a solo 24hr for sure!

maybe its just my observation, but the "rules" of 12hr racing have changed! it seems that you used to be able to enter the 12hr of temecula and put down a good endurance pace, and you'd have a fighting chance at a good finish. not any more. some of the solos were attacking this course like it was a UCI short track race, and they never seemed to slow down. amazing. it's no longer a grass roots solo event - the competition is serious. you've got to come to this event as a solo ready for some real pain (yeah!).

this series has really taken off. great to see and be a part of.
    time to change the training plan for november!

we've got tons of photos, i'll post this evening.

our troupe womens team took FIRST against a really tough canari queens team. very cool - it was a tough battle all day that came down to about 4 min.

our 4 man team took 5th out of the 18 teams. thats our best 4 man finish on the hardest course against some of the toughest competition yet.

thanks jason for all your hard work. it really shows, and we cant wait till the next one.

oh yeah - sdyeti, i think i rode a bit with you on the earlier laps... nice to sort-of meet you.

5. jbbarrette

jbbarrette New Member

Risk Control
    Pics of the bikini girl ASAP!

6. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    this was...eye-opening (and not just because of bikini girl. does she get an appearance fee? how's that work?).

i didn't really train for this (been doing lots of hiking, took 16 days off riding end of may/june), but i just wanted to hit some new trails and see how far i could go. turned out be not that far...

the combo of elevation and climbing drained me from the start. i've never stopped/walked so much in my life. and it was humid/warm enough to make me sweat like a pig on the upper part of the course. then my knee started to swell in the afternoon, so it turned into a gimpy 10-hour race: only 5 laps/44 miles (mtb pr). but it was lots of fun hanging out w/ alex, elizabeth, tony, and rossi all day. especially rossi.

kudos to jason for setting up a fun course and doing a superb job of organizing/managing. he was hands-on all day. very cool.

amazing to see how many people were attacking the course all day long--riding it like they were zipping down to the corner 7-ll at halftime...

stephanie- sorry i missed you. every time i went down to your tent, you were out on the course. i'm sure you blew by me a couple of times...

pet peeve rant- speaking for all the slow folks: when somebody deliberately stops to get out of your way and let you pass, a simple "thanks" makes it a lot more likely to happen the next time. and to the guy who told me "faster rider behind you."--that's at least 3 words too many (if you're talking behind me, i'll figure out the rest). :lol:

but most people were very cool. all the "good job, solo" comments really helped me to keep going.
    :beer:

7. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    Thanks for putting on an amazing event Jason! Ended up taking 3rd place Solo Clyde :) I will have a blog post with a bunch of pics up soon.

8. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Bikini girl's name is Kelly...she is Derek Hermon's (owner of Bear Valley Bikes) sig other. :)

9. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    I wish I was Derek Hermon

10. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
  11. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

I'm still struggling to find the right words to sum up yesterday's race...something about processing through the thoughts, feelings, emotions, etc that hasn't hit me yet.

I'll summarize by saying this: Jason puts on a fantastic event each time, and Rim Nordic is a hella challenging course. It was well organized, laid back, there was entertainment on Fri night, and lots of good grub.

I set my sights on this race as far back as November of last year after I won a solo entry package as a silent auction prize. The longest I had ever ridden on my mtb was VQ. Could I go another 3 hrs (VQ took me a hair under 9)?:?: The long and short of it is that I took a pretty dedicated approach to training and in the end, achieved my goal. I'm not the fastest racer out there by any means. My endurance pace established itself pretty early on as moderate, not super fast.

8 laps was my goal...in the end, I added one extra. My nutrition and hydration were on point, my bike worked well, and I just kept the pedals turning. Since I moved up to expert and the category is combined with pro women, I had some tough competition. It was hard not to get down on myself b/c I was a lap down for most of the race, but I tried to focus on me, not them.

Thanks sooo much to all the folks who were out there watching and cheering...Traci, Craig, Chris, Dan, Allison, Justin...hearing you shout encouragement as I went out on my laps was so awesome. Congrats to my fellow racers, too...Jordan, Weyland, StevieB, Neil, Michael, Greg, Troy (and I'm sure I'm forgetting STR names...sorry!):clap:

I'll let the pictures tell the rest, but I can say this...I'll be back in November!

We arrived mid-day on Friday to set up camp, pit, and pre-ride a couple miles to keep the legs loose. Lots of Jeeps on mountain this weekend for a festival.
    [​IMG]

Solos had their own pit area, as always
    [​IMG]

Man blong Gaua (Dan) setting up our pit, which we shared with Jordansrealm and Chris
    [​IMG]

Awesome seat tags for the solos...it was so nice to hear encouragement from riders on course.
    [​IMG]

The fuel...
    [​IMG]

Jordansrealm and I strategizing
    [​IMG]

Shudder's secret is out!
    [​IMG]

All dressed up and smiling
    [​IMG]

The start line...fast guys up front!
    [​IMG]

I put myself about 5-6 rows back...it ended up being a good strategy.
    [​IMG]

Ranoaclan leads out the parade laps
    [​IMG]

1x1clyde with a hurt paw
    [​IMG]

Getting a refuel...Dan kept it real all day
    [​IMG]

Jordansrealm coming in from a lap
    [​IMG]

Getting a little help from his friends
    [​IMG]

Project Pink in the house
    [​IMG]

mp3 and partner, Heidi, make the transition
    [​IMG]

I think this was by lap 6 or 7
    [​IMG]

The range of emotions:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sweet relief...#9 in the books
    [​IMG]

Lights on
    [​IMG]

The numbers tell the story
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the end, satisfaction is starting to seep in. I can't help but think, though, that it is possible to do more, ride faster and keep setting the bar higher:?:. That's who I am, I guess.

As far as a solo experience, the part I missed the most was chillin' with everyone in the pits. There were so many STR folks out there who I probably didn't even say hi to...next time :) We should have little STR patches that we can put on our jerseys! Till November....:bang:

12. m210

m210 New Member

art director, designer
    Home Page:
    photos

some photos... more to come.

1. tim (me) discuss last lap strategy with kevin about to head out for his last lap.

2. the course in the evening... pretty cool

3. kevin and roy "watching the clock"

4. tim riding at some point

5. damon - rocked 8 laps

6. the pits were really nice

7. roy is a blur on his blur

8. laura of the 1st place 4 woman team

Attached Files:

13. mtnkitty

mtnkitty Guest

All I can say Steph is WAY TO GO and you are so inspirational!

14. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Team Troupe was out in force yesterday!!

Sorry I didn't say hi...I was probably halfway in my pain cave by that point. Were you riding with another Troupe guy on the top fire road?

15. m210

m210 New Member

art director, designer
    Home Page:
    yep... i was on the black blur, mykyta on the kona was with me when the 3 of us were together on that fire road.
    i'd pull away on the climbs, and then on the dh you caught back up.

great job with 9 laps!

16. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Too bad I live in the SD area, and your team is in OC...seems like you have a good crew!

Yeah, climbing is not my specialty but downhill...that's another story ;)

17. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    EXCELLENT Steph!! Questions!!
    Do you get bored going round n round?
    Do you find it tedious after awhile?
    Is there a certain focus you have to have to keep going?
    What is it?
    Does your back hurt?
    Do you check lap times each time and try to better the previous one?
    Is music allowed?
    I am tempted but have always been concerned I'd get bored. Like, "oh, there's that bush again but now someone had knocked a leaf off it" :?:
    What keeps you going?

18. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    When I got to the top during my fifth (and final) lap, she was up there have a grand old time. Thing is, I was followed immediately by a female rider, and Derek Harmon's Sig Other just kept shakin' it like there was no tomorrow. That was kinda cool. And weird...

- shud

Way to go, Steph! That was a hella race, eh? Nine laps -- that's is BIG, girl. Especially on THAT gawdamm course. Day-um.

Great to hang with you and Dan and all the STR folk. Thanks for letting us set up adjacent to your VIP spot. That was a real pleasure.

- shud

19. m210

m210 New Member

art director, designer
    Home Page:
    well you did 9 laps so something must have been working....

20. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Where can I check results?