12 Hours of Temecula June 4, 2011 Race

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by olis1, May 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt in Temecula

Matt in Temecula Member

Careful out there, we came across a baby rattler on the Bridges climb last night.

2. Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss human being

Home Page:
    what are some suggestions for fueling during this? The longest I've been on a bike is 8 hours at a mellow pace. I know Geoman drinks ensure, which I might bring a few of. Just looking for some other options.

3. Impy

Impy Active Member

I'm in for this! Probably won't get a chance to pre-ride the course though, this will be my first time out at Vail Lake.

4. Gunny Bing

Gunny Bing New Member

USMC
    Switchbacks

I rode the course this morning. It was fun and challenging. The downhill switchbacks really kicked my butt. I can see a lot of falls on it next Saturday.

5. deja vu

deja vu done dirt cheap!

I have never done a 12 hour solo but my $.02 is stuff that is extremely easy to digest...carbs and protein...maybe some hammer products for the first few hours and then move on to stuff like blueberry muffins, cheez n crackers, cup o' noodles, bologna, cookies, bagels, boiled potatoes, more gel, etc. whatever you think you can choke down and process while racing...(process is the important part, you need to get that fuel to work for you ) eat a solid breakfast, be sure to get some calories in early while racing as you may not feel like eating after a while,,,after that be sure to stay on top of it and get at least a couple hundred calories per hour though.

good luck and rip it up!

6. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    You gotta find what works for you as far as fuel. Experiment with anything you can this week, even though its a little late you might be able to find some good stuff.

Stuff that works for me....Any kind of fruit, pop tarts, sweet potato chips, pedialyte, ensure, winco energy bars, powerade, and then the staples of course, clif blocks, hammer gel, sustained energy, clif shot endurolyte drink. I normally have other food on hand just in case, but those are usually what I go for.

And a little tip, just get some paper cups and have someone (or do it yourself before/during the race) put whatever food you want in the cup and put the cup in your back pocket for the lap. Then, you can just reach in a wat it whenever you want.

Also, I will be out pre-riding tomorrow, early at 7:00am. I will be stopping by my truck after each lap to re-fuel and such if anyone is going to be down there, say Hi!

7. Impy

Impy Active Member

Thanks for this. I may try and preride on wednesday. Do you think that this map and a reasonable sense of direction are enough to not get lost out there if I am solo? Better, anyone else want to preride on wednesday? :)

8. Cosmo64

Cosmo64 New Member

Aircraft Tech
    Impy...the course is very well marked, You should have no problem following the white signs with black arrows...and yes Matt's map is very good

9. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    LMK what time you are heading out. I'm scheduled for mtb on Wednesday! May be able to be time flexible, not sure?

10. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Bring a bunch of stuff: bike food, sandwiches, soup, chips, cookies, soda. My first few 12 hour races I would do drink mix/water on laps plus gel shots, and have either a quarter to half of PBJ or a bar in between laps. Later on usually around hours 6-7 I'd have caffeinated soda and Snickers. When I did the San Jacinto Enduro last year I had EFS drink mix and liquid shot, plus probably some Bloks and other bike food. In between loops (about 4 hours in?) I had I think a sandwich and a chocolate chip cookie, and took out water and a bottle of Pepsi. Drank that on the final climb up Little Thomas Mountain.

After SJE before doing Spooky Cross I had banana/AB, and then more soda and cookies :D It worked ok. Basically, you need calories. Take in what you can get. Don't try to drink/eat 400+ an hour cause you might get sick, but just trickle in as you can and be willing to try/improvise and change it up if it isn't working.

11. VMac

VMac New Member

Looking forward to my first MTB endurance event Saturday. I had hoped to have a new f/s for this race, but my 49-year-old back will have to suffer through it on my hardtail. Descending skills will definitely be my limiter here. Two questions:
    1) Given the crowded course, are there places to pass on the ascents (since that is the only place I will be able to make up any time)?
    2) Are there any videos of any of the course sections?​

12. Matt in Temecula

Matt in Temecula Member

1. yes, this course has plenty of space to pass, I'll say only 1/3 is trail that is difficult to pass on.

13. igoyippy4skippy

igoyippy4skippy New Member

electronic tech.
    Plenty of spots to pass. Only crowded parts would be up the bridges switchback climb, this is especially painful on a single speed with all the geared riders spinning up it. Slingshot will also be a place to not pass. Usually all racers are very courteous to fellow racers who are faster. Especially on the funner ridgeline decent.

The only downhill hill section that will probably give you problems is the funner ridgeline, mainly because it gets really fast. After a few laps you will find your line.

As for looking forward to your first endurance mountain bike event, you are a stupid fool. If you are fond of exhaustion, cramps, your crotch getting raw from hours of saddle time, being constantly hungry, numb hands, sore back, barely being able to walk the next day, etc.... this may be your thing. This is my third time around doing it solo and I curse the day that I have to ride around in circles, up and down for hours upon hours. I know it made a friend quit riding for a few months. So get all excited because this will be the only time you will be for this event, you will eventually come to despise it.

14. ptfmb71

ptfmb71 New Member

I did a pre-ride as well, and it's very fun and more technical. A lot of places to spill if you are not paying attention....mostly because it's loose. I'm doing a 12hr Solo so I am not going to be too upset if I get behind someone who stalls on the switchback (climbs and Tarantula)....it keeps me from going too hard on the frist lap racing the teams. Although there is really no reason to stall on swithcback climbs (they are pretty clean)

15. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    Bring asprin because after about 6 hours, you will have a major headache from all rocky sections on your hardtail.

16. VMac

VMac New Member

I'm pretty certain that during hours 6-12 I will be swearing off MTB'ing altogether. But, as with some of the other suffer fests (road) I've done, I'm hoping that I forget all that a couple days after the event and just remember the fun parts, camaraderie, and accomplishment (if I'm fortunate enough to finish).

17. krunner44

krunner44 Member

Hair.
    That's all I'm looking for....finish, and not die somewhere between 6 & 12.

18. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I have to assume you are being facetious here... :) Your 3rd time - you can't hate it too much!!

I think we can all attest to feeling the same way in some way shape or form at some point during EVERY race, be it endurance, XC, cross, or even a century. "Why am I out here?" Cross the finish line and start sharing stories, and you can't wait to sign up for the next one.

19. robertherber

robertherber New Member

racing bikes
    Looking forward to turning some laps at Vail this Saturday! I will also be out there with the FULL Racer and Chasers Hospitality rocking all day and night long! Be sure to stop by to hang out and enter the raffle as we will be giving lots away including:
    · Multiple race entries
    · Shoebacca discounts
    · T-shirts
    · Hats
    · Socks
    · And much more!

After entering the raffle enjoy some of the fresh fruit and relax in the shade and the couches.

Looking forward to hanging out with everyone!!!
    [video=vimeo;21982613]http://vimeo.com/21982613[/video]

20. Jens

Jens New Member

Sweet Robert! I might just take you up on that couch :)

Cheers

Jens

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.