"12 Hours Of Temecula" Jan 24th,09 Course Description

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by ranoaclan, Dec 31, 2008.

1. ranoaclan

ranoaclan New Member

2. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Thanks Jason. You got any #'s for us? Lap length, elevation gain. Maybe a GPS profile.

Looking forward to next month.

3. ranoaclan

ranoaclan New Member

Yep r s

Check out the www.geoladders.com site for the GPS file which also shows the elevation and length. The link above gets you to the geo site for the route.
    J

4. lukewiens

lukewiens New Member

5. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    I love these raceS!!!!!

6. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    BULLETIN: NEWS FLASH!! NO DAM CLIMB!!!!

I was just talkin' to my wife about the gawdamm dam climb a few hours ago (we were XC skiing in Mammoth today when I brought up the similarity to MTB, and specifically to the never-ending dam climb).

Can't say I'll miss it exactly, but I am sure you have filled the hole with other similarly torturous stuff to climb. *_*

HAPPY NEW YEAR, JASON!

- shud

7. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:

We get to do both ridgelines too, or atleast thats what it sounds like!

8. ranoaclan

ranoaclan New Member

Yep

Both ridges are in like Flynn!:bang:

9. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    No Dam Climb:?:, not sure I can make this event without that fun section over and over and over and over and over again:lol:
    Happy New Year Jason!

10. olis1

olis1 Member

Mechanical Engineer, Robotics
    Yep, I won't miss the damn climb but we still have 1350 ft to climb so regardless there will be climbing. Looks like three major climbs instead of two with the climb up to and after Military plus the climb back to the funner ridgeline decent and then the ambulance climb (if you call that one a climb). My guess is there will be a few spots to put the hurt on.

Hey Jason - On that new offshoot single track section that you used in November at the bottom of the ridgeline decent are you going to use that straight sandy decent that you closed half way through the race last time. A lot of people were having a hard time with that and didn't too people get hurt pretty bad.

Just curious.

11. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    ^^^ It appears from the way the map looks on geoladders, that he is not going to include that descent. When it was part of the race in the morning hours, we went down it and then had to head back up the fire road to the left, then go across and up the Ambulance Climb. It appears we now go straight across to the Ambulance Climb, so I would say it is out. Only Jason knows fer shur...

- shud

12. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Thanks for posting this Jason...I'll be doing my 1st solo race!

13. ranoaclan

ranoaclan New Member

Hey Guys

The sandy downhill is out. We will be using the same downhill and straight across to the ambulance climb. Just a little tid bit for you guys. Once at the top of the summit. After the bridges up hill you can see a new trail off the top of the summit. Right as you get the top look left and you can see a shovel wide trail leading to the bottom of the summit, where the ambulance is. I havent decided whether I want to put this new trail in but we'll see. It only cuts off the gnarly little downhill off the back side of the summit. But it sure looks like fun. Anyways the trails at Vail Are running super fun and fast. I ran a pre lap and it only took me 15 minutes!:bang: Just Kidding! Can you imagine like 30 laps in 12 hours. I havent timed a good fast lap yet. But I think it should be 40-45 for a good lap! Some one go ride it and let me know!
    Jason

14. Upchuck

Upchuck Marlboro Man in training

Leg Man
    Hey Jason, I know you've been warning us that preregistration will eventually become necessary. I've been checking the website and haven't seen it officially announced. What's the word?

15. Au575

Au575 New Member

So what's the goss? Is this course easier without the dam(n) climb?

('cause I haven't been "training" at all, and was thinking of skipping out 'till the second race in the series...)

16. ranoaclan

ranoaclan New Member

pre reg & pre ride

At this time pre reg is not mandatory. I like to give everyone the options. But with the increased numbers of racers we may need to mandatory prereg for the June and Nov Race. It will really help to get things running smoothly with over 500+ riders per race. But at the January race registration can be the evening before and the morning of still.
    As far as the Jan course goes, yes I think it will be a bit faster. I dont know if I'd call it easier. But faster for sure. I ride singlespeed alot and I find this course easier for me. But there are a couple more techy sections and short climbs. Hope this helps!

By the way is anyone interested in a preride this weekend?

17. mr.hobbs

mr.hobbs New Member

Solid Gold dancer by night. Green Peace chairman b
    Jason,
    I'm going to ride it for sure this weekend but it will be a night ride after my babies go to bed. I'll get you a moderate pace night lap time.

I'm considering riding solo SS (yikes) now that the damn is out. I found myself getting frustrated with mis-shifts at the last event.

18. ranoaclan

ranoaclan New Member

Trail Pics

So I have a have a couple of trail revisions for the race. Nothing major. Just some quick fun sections that will be more sustainable and add a little character.
    Here are a couple of pics. This new trail comes off the summit. Instead of going down the steep rutted side we will be using this new singletrack off to the left of the summit. When you get to the top of the summit look left for the trail. Be careful not to go left to soon. There is a trail that is pretty new that leads you into the tunnel. That is the wrong one. This one leads you down and across to the first funner downhill.
    J

Attached Files:

19. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    Been riding the new course before work lately and while fun I would not say it is easy on the SS, that climb after bridges will break you after 5 or 6 hours#-o.

Have not seen the new left hander that leads to the 1st DH section but will look for it thursday am which is too bad because that little rocky DH before the quick up hill to the funner ridge line gives you some momentum for that section.

BTW Jason I have not broke the magic 50 minute mark out there yet on the SS but came close on the proto Spider 2 yesterday am...gears and squish are fun!...sadly it was 24 degrees and I was not feeling to motivated to boogie:lol:.
    I've done 8 or 9 laps total so far and really like the course, should be a fun and fast race in a few weeks!!

Now the choice of what class to race in:-k:-k

20. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Thanks for packing the course down. As far as class, I thought you were going solo Tandem with a team of stokers.