12 Hours of Temecula 2010 June 12th

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by crispy, Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    It was warm in June of 2008 as well, but not that hot :)

FWIW, June of 03 it was practically raining middle of the month. So, you never know!

2. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    ^^ Yep. It got to 104F that race day. I'd broken my wrist so did not race in '08, but instead helped son Willie out on his race. It was hard and hot, fo sho.

After one of his solo laps (he was 12 at the time and riding solo), he was beet red and felt shaky and a bit out of his head (can you imagine?...). He went down to the pool and stood under the cold shower fully clothed in his Team Mata kit. Right after that it was like he woke up! Said he never felt better. Went out for a few more laps...

- shud

3. Red Hawk

Red Hawk New Member

goverment contractor, screenwriter (well hobbie un
    I was curious about the race in June, Is this a different course than the one they had in November? I didn't do the race in January.

4. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    ^^ Jason usually runs it pretty much the same, though he has been known to run it clockwise upon occasion. He usually alters it a bit to include or exclude various ridge trails, climbs or what have you.

- shud

5. ranoaclan

ranoaclan New Member

Hey guys

Well a couple quick updates!
    The course will be similar to the January race. Only a bit shorter and more fun! We have added a few new trails to the June race. Ones weve never used before. It is taking quite a bit of maintenance but very worth it. The June racers are going to very happy:)!
    The course is about 8.5 miles long with 1200 ft of climbing per lap. Ive had a few folks out preriding and the laps without maintenance are running around an hour. Super fast times will be low 40 minutes. Super slow mo guys will be around 1:30.
    The course link is here:
    http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=34815

As far as the weather goes. You never know what your gonna get. In the past 5 years of this event we've had low 60's up to low 100's. Rember that the high temps start mid day and last till early afternoon. The mornings are awesome and the nights are incredible. June has the longest days of the year ( Lights are minimal ).
    A few things I did diferently for this race:
    - Venue is at the pool are ( tons of shade and grass + 2 pools )
    - shorter and funner ( no damn climb ) Last June race!
    - running through the Merlot and lower Merlot camp areas ( for more in camp pitting )

All in all I am very happy with this venue for June!
    For those of you wondering why no Rim Nordic this year.
    Well to be honest it was just to small of a venue. Plus I didnt like everyone having to walk across the busy highway!
    A little news for you all, I do have a couple of new venues will I will talk about in a couple months for 2011!
    Plus a few new races!

Anyways I was out on course all day today working on the flow and maintenance. I will be out for the next couple weeks, so if your out preriding stop by and say Hi:wave:

Talk to ya soon!
    Jason

6. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I can't possibly be the only one that LIKES Dam Climb? I love it...

7. mr.hobbs

mr.hobbs New Member

Solid Gold dancer by night. Green Peace chairman b
    Nice layout Jason. Dragons back and Slingshot are perfect additions.
    This is same route I do when just out riding for a good time.

8. PassatBoy101

PassatBoy101 New Member

Giant Sales / Student
    Anyone else register?

9. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

I like it after the 1st lap...thins the herd.

10. beeman

beeman New Member

automotive tech
    Temecula 12 Hr Race!

Hi Everyone, Is Anyone Doing The 12hr Race In Temecula? If So Does Anyone Know What Kind Of Terrain And The Difficulty Level Of It???
    Its My First Endurace Race, Havnt Had A Chance To Go Pre Ride The Trail, Just Kinda Wanted A Heads Up. Thank You!

11. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Vail is very similar to a lot of local So Cal parks. Very rolling terrain (some short steep climbs, rollers, etc.). Some decomposed granite, a bit of sand, and basic So Cal dirt! Good mix of singletrack, double track, and some fire road.

You can also check out http://www.geoladders.com for some route photos to get an idea.

Difficulty of the race or the trails? :D Depends on your fitness level and technical ability. But I'm pretty sure that everyone has a great time out there!

12. mr.hobbs

mr.hobbs New Member

Solid Gold dancer by night. Green Peace chairman b
    The beauty of the June route is that your never more than 1.5 miles from camp at any time. Yet, the 10 miles or so seem like your on an outback adventure the whole time.
    I'll take pools and hot showers over the pines trees of Rim Nordic any day.

13. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    I'll take the extra O2 down at Vail's altitude over the thin air up at Rim Nordic. Plus, I'm a desert person, I love the heat. I feel more at home riding in 100 degree weather. I have an advantage! At Rim Nordic, it got very cold at night. I was freezing!

So thanks, Jason! I will take the heat!

14. ptfmb71

ptfmb71 New Member

The X-factor is the weather. I did it solo the last 3 years and in 2007 temps were 105 for much of the afternoon.....and there is no shade on the course so it's really hot. It even smells like burning bushes in that canyon area. In 2008 temps were a bit cooler but it still felt really hot. In last years race at Rim Nordic the temps were cooler...but the hot temps is what makes it more of a challenge than just riding.
    Everything can be ridden but as the day goes on some of the steep short uphills you may have to walk. Courses were longer in 2007/08 so I am looking forward to a shorter course. It's a great event and you will get every bit of the money it will cost you.

15. ranoaclan

ranoaclan New Member

You Guys

Should be a good one! I'll be out on course doing some premarking and maintenance friday and saturday! If ya see me in the dirt please give a hollar!

16. hobie

hobie Member

i'll be there man

17. protijy

protijy Bean Town Bonehead

Mech Engineer
    Home Page:
    WTF when did it become $70 a night to CAMP!!! trying to book a cap site on-line and its telling me it $70.... for 1 night use to be $35.... do I get a post race massage with that? its a camp site... and showers that don't have hot water.... geez!

18. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:

I think Vail is trying to cash in on these races. I stopped camping there because it started getting too expensive. I think this is their second rate increase.

19. protijy

protijy Bean Town Bonehead

Mech Engineer
    Home Page:
    seriously $70 for a plot of dirt, a water tap, and an elec outlet... think I'll be crashing at a local hotel get a good nights sleep.... man this is such a great race venue but they are really pushing out the bikes...

Thanks Jason for all your hard work I know it can't be easy working this vail lake sometimes :(

20. ranoaclan

ranoaclan New Member

Vail Camping

Hey Guys I just came out of a meeting with Vail Lake and the rates for camping are better than posted. The $70 spots are for prime Oaks Camping with an Rv and without our 10% discount. There are plenty of other camping areas besides the Oaks. I put the race course running throught the merlot and Lower Merlot on purpose. Those camping spots are significantly cheaper.
    The best way to book a spot and get cheaper camping is to call Vail Lake resort. www.vaillakeresort.com

Tell them you are racing and make sure you look on the map as to where you want to camp. Admittedly camping is not the cheapest, but is can be better than what you think!:clap:

Have a great day and we'll see ya in the dirt!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.