11 more days until the SuperBowl (of cycling)

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Pain Freak, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Okay, what's your pick this year?

Last 2 years I went with Andy Schleck and after watching him closely this year I'm convinced he doesn't have it in him to win it this year. Alberto is still the hands on favorite and probably will win it even after a super human effort and win at the Giro but now after Levi took the Tour of Suisse, I'm going to have to go with him. I know he virtually has very little recovery time but history could be on his side. Given he has Chris Horner on his team along with so much other strong and proven talent I think he has the stronger team and can and will win it, maybe even on the final day.

2. psyclerider

psyclerider Member

Photojournalist
    Good points! I also was thinking of Alberto but I'm pulling for Levi!

3. whybother

whybother New Member

i submit that on the first flat stage Jenz Voigt will attack so hard that he will travel forward in time, taking not only a victory in this year's tour de france, but ever other one for the next five years.

4. rjcsocal

rjcsocal Member

I can't go for Levi because he' as exciting to watch as watching paint dry. Can't invest 3 weeks of my life to him. I got the Giro wrong going against AC and find it hard to not pick him for the Tour. I would like to see some new talent step up. Either way as long as it's at least a good fight like last year, it will be good to watch.

5. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    All I want is Horner on the podium...and Jens Voight to finish in style.

6. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

That's hilarious, and also sad but true... If Levi wins, he'll do so the way he won the Tour de Suisse--by never winning a single stage or time trial, but by being consistent over 3 weeks.

This year's looking pretty good for Levi, as Contador might be overcooked / distracted (although I doubt it), the Schlecks don't look like they'll be factors in the overall and Cadel probably peaked early. Basso looks like he's in meltdown, but maybe he'll peak at just the right time (doubt it...). Wiggins is probably the biggest darkhorse threat other than Levi--and Horner, I bet Horner will ride a great tour and will podium. I wouldn't be surprised if Levi and Horner are on the podium.

7. IMALLSLO

IMALLSLO S G V

Levi,Kloden and Horner oversleep...they miss the call and the rest of the Shack rides for Matt Busche(as they should) and he podiums.

8. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    I don't like Levi. I hope he doesn't win.

I still think Andy S. will be one to watch. Yeah, he had nothing at the ATOC, but I am sure that was not his A race. I'm sure his bad performance was due to the fact that he was waiting to peak until July.

9. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    I think Andy Schleck was purposelynholding back either as a deception tactic or to spare his legs. He'll lay low the first week and then kill AC and the rest when they get into the alps. Also watch out for Cadel Evans, and maybe Ivan Basso.

10. FlynRide

FlynRide New Member

I think Lance Armstrong is going to win.:?:

11. Poolman

Poolman New Member

Pool Service Man
    Home Page:
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Andy was playing possum.

12. unclepudding

unclepudding Fueled by Frosted Flakes

Derivatives Trading
    I agree with vlad and jae, I think Schleck was holding back purposely, and I think Wiggins is going to be one rider to watch.

13. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I hope that's true for Andy but I seriously doubt it. They thought he was playing opposum last year too but he wasn't. Cadel would of been nice to win it with his mtb background but when it comes down to it, he isn't the all around cyclist that I think can get it done. Chris Horner has been my favorite racer almost since I started cycling. First big name cyclist I ever met and was able to talk too (Redlands Classic). Very personal guy and at 39 years old he won't get to many other opportunities. He would be my dark horse pick but he'd make one of my dreams come true and that'd be to win it outright. To tell the truth I'd really like to see anyone win it besides the Spaniard.

14. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    10 more days!!!!

15. rjcsocal

rjcsocal Member

I agree with you guys on Andy Schleck -- especially if Frank stays upright; however, my only reservation with those guys are tactics. Remember how they got schooled by Philippe Gilbert in L-B-L? Then again, Gilbert has been channeling his inner Eddie Mercx this season.

16. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Andy doesn't TT well enough to win the Tour, and Levi likely can't hang well enough on the climbs. Cadel for me is a wildcard because sometimes he can manage without losing huge chunks of time in the mountains, and can TT well.

Contador
    Schleck
    Horner
    Cadel
    Levi
    *pick some random person from Garmin or one of the Rabo Dutch climbers

17. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

You heard it here first...Tom Danielson will win the Tour this year folks...

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/8...s-Tom-Danielson-for-first-Tour-de-France.aspx

No, seriously, it's a good article. And as much as I hate how Vaughters spews out propaganda which, in my opinion, does more to undermine the team's accomplishments than help their reputation (a little less conversation, a little more action please...), it is nice to see that Danielson may finally be growing up a bit. He seems to have floundered for several years since starting out on Discovery with Lance and winning the Tour de Georgia (2004?) and doing well in the Vuelta. There always seemed to be an excuse for him why he didn't do well or dropped out. But he is very gifted rider and I hope he does well. It's not inconceivable that he does what Vandevelde or Wiggins did for Garmin before and comes in 4th or something. Who knows?

It was good to see Danielson ride so well in the Tour de Suisse--he was really attacking in the last stage. I knew he was auditioning for the Tour, so that's why he did it, but he was pretty relentless and I think earned his spot very well.

I hope he rides a great Tour and is happy with his performance.

18. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    But Allison, what about the climbing Levi has been doing the last couple of races? I think he's got it this year but you're right, anybody on your list is a potential winner. And as much as I'd love to see Cadel win it, I think his TT will not get him there. And yes Tom Danielson does have a good chance but don't know if he has the support.

19. rjcsocal

rjcsocal Member

Agree with you on TT; however, Schleck did well enough on the last TT a year ago to make the deficit the 39 seconds he lost during "chaingate". Then again, AC either bonked or didn't drink enough and had a rough go at it, but don't forget Schleck had an abysmal prologue -- lost 42 seconds to AC. There is a TTT this year where a Cancellara-led team may put some time into Saxo, but probably not too much against Radio Shack and Garmin. It should be exciting nonetheless.

20. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Tommy D will likely have at least one bad day. IMO he isn't the caliber to win it. CHorner has a better chance. But, in his defense Danielson is younger, so maybe in a few years. VdV no way. Sorry. Love you, not gonna happen. Levi, he just can't attack in the mountains like Alberto and Andy. He is looking SUPER trim, and Chris was as well at ToC, but I'm not sure that Levi can hold the form that long (ToC in May, TdS in June, and TdF?, plus he isn't 28 like AC/AS).

LOTS of teams have a lot of chiefs and not many indians, so that will make it interesting (Radioshack, Garmin-Cervelo, basically). Will be interesting to see if anyone from Rabo can pull off anything.

Read a brief thing on the first week of the Tour and sounds like it'll be a good one. Hope some strong classics-like riders take a flyer and get some wins - I read sprint points 15 finishers deep!!