Zion and Bryce National Park (UTAH)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by timber725, Nov 13, 2009.

1. timber725

timber725 New Member

would like to be pro MTBer
    I'm planning to hit these two parks during turkey vacation. Are mtb allowed? Is it worth bringing the mtb?

2. Knuckledragger

Knuckledragger New Member

I don't think so. I rode a bunch of road up there during the national up there last year. Brian Head isn't far however, the weather up there might be questionable....

Amazing area never the less...

Cheers,

C.K.

3. d'man

d'man Dirt Lover

Certified Financial Planner
    There's no riding in those parks, but lots of great trails in nearby St. George and Hurricane. Check out utahmountainbiking.com for more details...

4. evdog

evdog Member

If you're able to bring the bike regardless, Thunder Mtn is right near Bryce and it would be well-worth bringing the bike just for that ride. There is some other singletrack on the other side of the road that also should not be missed. The link provided above should give you all the info you need.

5. OTB_again

OTB_again Hophead

Wireless site development
    +1 for Thunder Mountain...that place rules. Also make sure to hit the mesas outside St. George...Gooseberry is a great place to start. Other trails not to be missed in the area are JEM, Guacamole, Little Creek, etc. Pull into Over the Edge Sports in Hurricane for the hook up!

6. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    take an afternoon to check out zion if you have time. the "narrows" hiking trail is very cool--a narrow stream-cut canyon with 1000-foot walls.

7. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I have rode my MTB on the pavement from just outside Zion Gate all the way back to the dead end. It is very pretty back in there, you can ride around the gate so free admission and no cars allowed on the road, just busses. Plus Zion is very close to Slickrock Swamp Trail.

Thunder Mountain, Virgin Rim Trail, Jem Trail, Little Creek Mesa, Gooseberry and a dozen others are nearby. Shame on you if you don't bring a bike and hit some trails. They are among the best MTBing has to offer.

Dean

Attached Files:

8. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Zion with Steppie's ride. If you ride here you'll have to pull overwhen the buses approach you from behind as they won't pass you if you're pedaling. It's better to not ride the parks but take the buses and if you're going to ride, ride the stuff close to the parks.

Zion==== Gooseberry Mesa

Bryce==== Thunder Mt.

Attached Files:

9. HEYwait4me

HEYwait4me Member

1+ for Brianhead, but it is 11,000 ft in elevation there will probably be snow up there at this time of year.

10. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

There's no riding inside Zion except on the pavment. The problem with that is that there is a ton of tourist rubber necking and not looking at where they are going. But there is tons of riding right out side of Zion like Gooseberry Mesa. There is a bike shop right out side of the entrance to Zion that has a ton of local trail knowlage. Over in Bryce is Thunder Mountain. Check out http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/ They've got tons of info