Downhill Zerode bikes

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by denmother, Dec 4, 2009.

1. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

So, was surfing away and found this. Anyone seen this yet?

Zerode

Something Wicked...

Words by Mark Wood.

Date: 2009-10-14

If you rode the Whistler Bike Park this past summer you may have caught a glimpse of the prototype machine. Hailing from New Zealand, the gearbox equipped Zerode has finally made its long awaited arrival in North America. Long awaited at least for those who’ve caught wind of it’s heavily blogged development south of the equator. The few who have had the chance to pedal the proto into 9” curbs at full speed have been amazed at the Zerode’s incomparable bump eating capacity. 

Although it exists only in prototype form at present, the initial production run is imminent and the first limited availability models are being promised before the turn of the year. I had the chance to meet both inventors and to have a close look at the Zerode. It is quite unlike any other bike currently in existence.

[​IMG]

The steel frame looks pretty good. Sadly it weighs 16 lbs and it'll likely end up on a wall somewhere.

The prototype is presently piloted by its co-designer and the fastest Kiwi in the 2009 NZ National Series, James Dodds. “This prototype is actually nearly two years old now.” Dodds shares. “It’s not a secret anymore.” Dodzy has been racing the steel proto on the pro circuit in New Zealand for the past year. And to say it’s been causing a stir is an understatement. In fact, when seventh ranked World Cup rider and fellow Kiwi Sam Blenkinsop appeared at one of the National Series races, Dodzy finished hot on his heels, only 0.89 of a second behind claiming second spot on the podium. Not bad considering the chromo prototype he’s riding weighs in at over 16 pounds, a far cry from the anxiously anticipated production model which will weigh in at just over 10 pounds.

[​IMG]

Will the finished product - assuming there is one - look like this?

The other half of the design team is engineer and former pro racer Rob Metz. Metz is a past National Series podium finisher who was third best back in the John Kirkcaldie days. After attempting (I stress this word!) to tail Metz this past winter in his native New Zealand, I assure you his skills haven’t tarnished one iota. He’s as fast and smooth as ever with more tricks up his sleeve then a circus clown, including no handed wheelies and endless manuals. Metz has designed for Avanti and Keewee bikes in past years, so he has an in-depth understanding in what he sees as current design limitations when using a derailleur. “Using a gear box means a whole slew of advantages,” explains Metz, “you no longer need to design around the limitations of chain growth, meaning you’re able to optimize the wheel path for maximum bump eating capacity.” And this leads to a number of other obvious advantages once you’ve removed the fragile derailleur, including weight centralization as well as a low unsprung weight ratio in the rear wheel, now minus a cluster and derailleur.

[​IMG]

James Dodds - one half of the design team - racing the steel proto in New Zealand.

One thing you notice right away is that it’s incredibly quiet without a rattling derailleur or chain slap. Never again will you need to align a derailleur or straighten a bent drop out, nor worry about missing a shift whether under load, pedaling or not. Metz has been running his 6 inch travel trail version for the past 18 months and hasn’t missed a shift yet with his internal gearbox. If you believe in destiny, the Zerode is the brainchild of two of the top race proven riders in New Zealand and was destined from the start to be a fast bike. But it promises to be more than just that - it’s silent, has exceptional square edge bump absorption, and it accelerates explosively with little if any noticeable bobbing. “A pedal platform is virtually unnecessary with this design due to pivot placement.” They have created a suspension and drivetrain design that works as one.

[​IMG]

The Prototype frame. I'm not sure what's going in the middle to make it work.

The Zerode has already heralded a worldwide following, even though no production model exists at present. With the promised release of a production machine before the calendar rolls into 2010, the pre sale list of buyers is healthy (although Dodzy wouldn’t share numbers, he hinted it was in the hundreds). They’ve received emails from Japan, throughout Europe, USA, Canada and of course New Zealand and Australia where the bike is already well known. “People are offering payment up front even though we’ve only just entered into production,” says Dodzy. With plans to release both a DH version and a 160mm travel AM version, Zerode may be the only name in your garage in future.

[​IMG]

Rob Metz riding the prototype 6" travel trail bike.

Strangely I couldn't find a Web site for Zerode. Maybe they were being a bit optimistic about the production run before the new year? Hopefully this article and accompanying thread will drum up some info. What do you think? Looks pretty good to me. Pipe up here...

2. nerdgirl

nerdgirl Ronin

Cog in the federal justice machine
    Home Page:
    Pretty bike. Would be very cool if it does everything the article says it does.

3. Brewtal

Brewtal Squirrel Whisperer

Top tube reminds me of my old Torker bmx from back in the day!:bang:

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      240.7 KB
      Views:
  4. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Very cool way to get high single pivot to work well. But only single speed?

5. UR2KLOS

UR2KLOS Senior Member

It has a gearbox.

6. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Ah missed that part and the pictures didn't really show it.

If the frame and gear box in production model only weight 10 lbs for 6 inches of travel......this could be very tasty! :-k

7. graves.z

graves.z Enduro Plebe

Quality Assurance Technician
    :wave:

8. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    What's that on the right chainstay, an idler pulley?

9. UR2KLOS

UR2KLOS Senior Member

Looks like it. If they didn't have one it would be difficult to quickly change the rear tube/tire.

I guess they aren't limited to a single pivot. Since they do have a single pivot I guess they wanted a single pivot.

10. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

holy rearward axle path batman! it's like a corsair on steroids in that respect.

still, looks like a sweet bike, but I'm going to guess it's gonna be expensive, especially once you factor in the gearbox (rohloff I'd assume).

also, will they make them in gigantor size?

11. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    oohhh - gonna be $$$$$$

If it is as good as it sounds, it will be interesting to see what the next few years bring in changes and twists to the current technology of other manufactures out there.

12. gray

gray Tree Hugger

Graphic Designer
    I had one of these :):

[​IMG]

13. Fearless Fly

Fearless Fly anachronistic and impulsi

Mechanical Engineer
    Home Page:
    I am calling bullshit on a 10# dh frame with a gearbox. This will never happen. So many companies have tried this design and it is not practical.

14. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    Yeah, that's something else alright...

Right there with You Gabe, notice there is no gearbox evident in the detail spy shots maybe they are just using an Alfine hub like GT did a few years back?

Any body else remember the Racing bike of the day, Elf double whammy (ZR1?) and the supercross with 2 down tubes?

15. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Doesnt the afline require a cable to run to the hub? I cant see any cable running part to the hub.

16. sickboy433

sickboy433 New Member

local 433 union ironworker
    damn, either way it looks tight.

17. UR2KLOS

UR2KLOS Senior Member

It looks nice but most of the text is typical marketing BS. The only real advantage seems to be moving the rear gear changing mechanism to a less vulnerable position. I wonder if they can get a large enough range of gear ratios to make a typical XC or AM bike.

18. NipomoGuy

NipomoGuy Tink's first sponsor

flying my mental jet
    looks cool, FYI, the picture that you can't figure out (the linkage) is pull-operated, pretend it's an upside-down kona

Looks nice but EW EW EW EW EW!!!! i really don't like horst links... not sure why... but i just don't like em. It's probably irrational...

wait, that isn't a horst link... is it?

19. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

not a horst link. linkage actuated single pivot, or you could call it a faux bar. it's not quite like the kona faux bar though, but more along the lines of a coarsair maelstrom.

with that main pivot where it is (high, far back), that thing is going to gobble up square edge hits. massive rearward axle path. probably even better on square-edge than VPP bikes...