Yet another airlift on Ladera Ridge

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by melster, Apr 10, 2011.

1. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Dear boys and girls, please remember to keep the discussion civil and PLEASE DO NOT start attacking each other!!!

2. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

3. Monster Mash

Monster Mash New Member

There should be no reason to fix an existing feature on a trail, people should know what they are capable of and adjust their riding accordingly.

I hate when people take it upon themselves to add features to trails, we don't need holes dug behind jumps that weren't there before. The people that don't jump get hurt...

4. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    The penalty for mistakes applies no matter what your skill. It's inevitable that more injuries will occur, the only thing that changes is the odds of an injury - nobody's perfect. Just check the disabled list.

5. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Another reason folks get injured on trails (the loop included) is they become complacent. They get to know the trail and take a corner for granted or a small bump and they crash. Same thing could happen here. Folks just need to be aware. I like trails left in their natural state and this feature is not natural so I think some kind of warning should become a permenant part of the trail.

6. mtbfan

mtbfan MTBFAN

I agree that you should always ride within your limit and use extra caution on a new trail. However, the people who have crashed there are experienced riders, but the hump just comes too unexpectedly to avoid a launch. I have had a near miss a few years back and landed on my front tire, skidding unclipped. Luckily, that was all that happened. You can't point out all the obstacles on a trail, but these injuries are just happening too frequently on that hump. Not sure what, if anything, can be done. I just hope the recent crash will turn out ok for the rider.

7. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

You know whats funny? Member Tree on here first took me on this trail to show me around and he specifically told he about this hump before we went downhill. I approached this hump and used these things called brakes to slow me down and pretty much rolled it. Another guy with us wanted to show off so he tried to jump it and ended up landing in cactus lol...

When on a new trail ride it slow so you can see all the obstacles and areas/features to avoid until you get more comfortable on that trail. Then go balls out and let loose when you feel comfortable.

I really think that most of the people getting hurt on this feature are the confident guys/gals that are trying to charge it and launch off of it.

8. 1speedgal

1speedgal New Member

The trail is a beginner/intermediate trail, in my opinion, and the only obstacle is the infamous hump that has caused numerous crashes and expensive rescues. I understand that some people find it fun but one hump really doesn't give you a gnarly, advanced trail. For that you can go to the Oakley jumps or BMX tracks or technical trails of your choosing. I see families with their young riders, beginners, intermediate riders and the trail is perfect for that. Mountain biking, in itself, poses certain risks but the hump is simply a dangerous object and should be removed. I am not sure what the reason for it is, some say it is to keep out vehicles? Maybe a bar of some sort would be an alternate option.

9. skflow

skflow Member

Engineer
    That hump/jump looks deceptively easy and seems like a fun place to rekindle the BMX style jumping days of yore, so adrenalin flows and you want to get air.

The guys from the now defunct Ladera Cyclery showed me how to get there years ago from behind the water towers near Kohl's and warned me about it.
    Approaching from the Oso side while riding with Melster, he reminded me before that part of the trail so I throttled back.

Do be careful, especially when riding alone. It is a great place to escape the other groomed trails near the homes.

10. tortoise

tortoise Member

Just plow it down so I don't have to see anymore post on this bad bump.:protest:
    Thank You.

11. sauce

sauce New Member

Dissertation writing
    Home Page:
    In UK bike parks a trail feature would have a little "sign" in front of it advertising the level (beginner, moderate and advanced) of the upcoming trail feature. Too bad we don't have that!

12. ebenke

ebenke Member

Project Director, architecture, technical side
    Thank god. What's next, required safety courses and licenses?

Just plain stupid.

PS - Who is going to pay all these lovely signs, a nice new tax?

13. sauce

sauce New Member

Dissertation writing
    Home Page:
    Well, honestly, I think it's smart. Some people are not skilled enough to assess what is coming. There is no harm in a sign.

14. H2oChick

H2oChick Active Member

This simple sign sure did get my attention:
    ... and guess what - no fall!

15. JamR

JamR Moderator

Senior Planning & Field Operations Manager
    Reading all the posts....current and past, and hearing about what seems to be a frequent issue with possible serious injuries; it sounds on the surface like this feature is just the wrong feature for this particular trail.

It sounds like this trail might be a beginner to intermediate trail at best; and the feature may not be easy for riders to assess competently unless they know it is there.

There are a ton of good technical trails in OC with serious features; but for the most part the technical features are naturally occurring. Stair Steps, Car Wreck, Five Oaks, Rattle Snake, Laguna Ridge, Rock-it, Lynx etc... all have a fun factor, but for the most part were provided by mother nature.

Also regarding these trails, most riders pretty much know what they are in for prior to getting themselves in real trouble.

Having a single man-made feature on an otherwise innocuous trail clearly seems to be a recipe for disaster for too many riders.

Beginner trails should be maintained as beginner trails; and advanced trails should be maintained as advanced trails.

Air rescues in many parks are not an unusual occurrence; but when a single location (especially a man-made feature) becomes the source of multiple incidents; it could bring unwanted results to the trail.

I don't know who owns or manages the land, but if the feature is important to the riders who use the trail often; why not try to work with the owner/manager and get a visible bypass route worked into the trail which becomes the primary line. Then people who know about the jump can still enjoy it.

On a beginner/intermediate trail, the primary line should always lend itself to the beginner/intermediate riders. Any built features should be on a secondary line so they can be purposely ridden. It's probably not the best idea to have beginner riders have any surprises on an otherwise mild trail.

Just some thoughts.

16. wraschke

wraschke New Member

Student
    lets all hug this out right now, no homo.

17. melster

melster Member

Software
    Phew! Now I know not to surf with my bike!

18. wraschke

wraschke New Member

Student
  19. BigTex

BigTex Member

writer/photographer
    Nope. Other side of Ladera Ranch. This route includes it:http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=44124

Look, for lack of a better description, at the lower right corner of the route. That's where it is.

Seriously, it's no big deal, it's just easy to misjudge. It's a hump in the trail. Don't fly it if you don't know what's on the other side.

20. sasquatch9billion

sasquatch9billion Active Member

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    Do we need P-lines for a P-line?