XX drivetrain, bottom bracket creaking

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by jeck1122, Apr 4, 2012.

1. jeck1122

jeck1122 New Member

On my Mojo HD, when pedaling with any force, I get this ridiculous creaking sound coming from the bottom bracket. The bb is the gxp team version. My understanding is that this is not serviceable... True? If does anyone know of one that is? It's only about $40 to replace, but I don't want to do that every 3-4 months either. Oh, I've already checked the linkage/bearings, so it is definitely the bb, not the frame...Thanks!

2. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Take your cranks off, remove BB, check bearings, if bearings still roll free with no play, clean, apply grease, apply grease to BB threads, reinstall bb, light grease on crank spindle, put cranks back on.

If sound is gone, you solved problem. If not, check your seat post, check your chainring bolts.

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Are the BB cups torqued properly?

Sometimes it could be the pedal and not the cranks. Had this happen 2 weeks ago. Really bad creaking while putting down the torque on the SS, when all of a sudden.....POP!!!! Broke the pedal body off the spindle.

4. jeck1122

jeck1122 New Member

Nearly new pedals... Taken apart and greased liberally. I hadn't remove the crankset and greased the bearings because it was my understanding that it wasn't serviceable. Wrong advise?

5. emcil

emcil my wife no like me

Spring Maker
    Even sealed bearings can be greased. Use a pointed tool to gently pry the seal off from the center out. Take off both sides and pack the bearing. Put the seals back on and ride like the wind. If you screw up it's forty bucks and lesson learned.

6. giantschwinn

giantschwinn Member

Check and make sure your rear wheel quick release is on tight. I had a creaking noise when pedaling hard and it turns out the quick release is loose.

7. irv_usc

irv_usc Active Member

Exactly what emcil said. I picked the plastic seal off the bearings and found a bunch of muddy paste inside. I managed to clean out the old grease and refill with some fresh stuff. Got rid of my BB creaking. However I have a standard GXP, not sure how the "team" one differs. You can also upgrade the bearings with some sealed ones from enduro

Here's the handy tutorial that I followed. http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-s...bottom-bracket-service-guide-pics-497220.html

8. jeck1122

jeck1122 New Member

I checked the rear axle (12x142) as well.Thanks guys! You're right; tear it apart. Worst case is 40 for a new one, best case squeak gone and new grease on bearings.

9. sc_nomad

sc_nomad New Member

engineer
    i had creaking on my XX drivetrain and it turned out to be the cassette creaking against the freehub body. thin coat of grease and problem solved. I also noticed that wax based chain lube would cake up as little black patches on the cassette and would cause creaking ONLY on the 36t cog under heavy mashing.