Xspin

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by scottywc, Apr 29, 2014.

1. scottywc

scottywc New Member

Graphic Designer
    I was at the Apple store and saw this little device. It attaches to your crank and allows you to track speed and distance while you use your bike on a trainer. Looks interesting. Anyone tired one?

2. socal_eric

socal_eric New Member

Computer stuff
    I haven't seen that but I've got the Garmin GSC-10 speed/cadence sensors on both my bikes. If you already have a Garmin or other ANT+ capable GPS or cyclocomputer it works the same and will record data indoors since the speed sensor is run off the rear wheel. It's also fairly reasonably priced.

3. scottywc

scottywc New Member

Graphic Designer
    I've seen the GSC-10 too and have considered it. My wife has one on her road bike. My concern is that it would get destroyed on a real MTB ride. How have yours held up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

4. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    How does it know what gear you are in?

5. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Looks like it requires you to set a resistance level. Is doesnt look like it made to determine true distance speed but more of virtual kind of thing where you see yourself riding through a city or as a virtual coach.

http://vimeo.com/79651834

6. socal_eric

socal_eric New Member

Computer stuff
    I've been running the GSC-10 on both my MTBs, one of which I've been running for around a couple years now. I tend to, how should I say, tip over and smack into stuff a lot (but getting better) and they've held up fine. Mine are mounted on the top of the forward part of the non-driveline chainstay and I haven't had any issues with smacking it and pushing the wheel speed sensor arm into the spokes.

If you're riding through heavy brush, crash a lot, or have a bike with odd rear triangle geometry I could see how they could get damaged but I've been pretty lucky. At least they're not too expensive and last I looked can be found in the $30-40 range if you shop around.