X-Fusion Vengeance HLR Service Guide

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by bing!, Jan 16, 2015.

1. bing!

bing! Active Member

image.jpg I posted most of this on another thread. But to get it found by MTBR and Google searches, here it is.

Let's get to this.

Taking the fork apart is covered in this video Metric / Vengeance Lowers Service on Vimeo

To service the air spring, follow this process from Fox while noting how the Vengeance parts come together. It will be slightly different.

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/QuickTech/AllAirSpringQuickService.htm

You may need a section of heat shrink (1 inch when shrunk) about 2-2.5 inches long to re-wrap the coil. I've found the original shrink wrap destroyed on service. The shrink wrap keep the coil silent.

Here is an article that will show you what the internals of the damper look like X-Fusion Vengeance HLR Fork Review - Pinkbike

To service the HLR Damper, here is what you will need:

100 ml - 7.5 wt Fork oil, I recommend Maxima Racing Fork Oil Blue
    16mm cone wrench
    Table vise and soft jaws for round objects
    Syringe
    Flat fork wrench or modded socket (I forgot the size as of writing)

Instructions:

Complete the lowers service as in the video and stop just before putting in the lower legs.

Note all the adjustments then open up all the knobs to full open. That is counter clockwise on everything. Remove the damper using a flat fork wrench.

Clean and wipe down the cartridge with alcohol. Clamp it down on the vise using the soft jaws. About a quarter turn on my vise from snug. CAUTION: You crush the cartridge, thats on you.

Undo the cartridge cap where the damper shaft inserts into the cartridge with the 16mm cone wrench. If the damper spins, tighten the vise 1/32 turn each time, until you can get it undone. When you can turn the cap by hand, remove the cartridge from the vise and pour out the oil.

Clean the shaft with alcohol and inspect the piston for dirt. You may need to wash out the cartridge with fork oil if its really dirty.

The Vengeance HLR is a twin tube cartridge design. A fancy term for an open bath cartridge sealed in its own tube separate from the lowers. Look in and you will find the internal tube. Clamping the lower cartridge on a vise right side up, use a syringe body, without the plunger as a funnel to get oil into the internal tube. Fill the internal tube with 7.5 wt oil, 85ml. Let it sit for 20 minutes to let bubbles out.

Inspect the shaft assembly. Note that above the shaft piston is the internal tube cap. When you reassemble the damper, you will be sealing the internal tube with this cap.

Insert shaft piston into internal tube and close the damper. You can use blue loctite here but be sure to clean the threads with alcohol. Insert cartridge back on vise and cinch down the cap. About 65 in/lbs (my guesstimate.

Pump the damper shaft 4-6 times to prime it (right side up) and it should be smooth as buttah with no squirting noise.

Re-assemble the fork using the video above, set the knobs back to your preference and your done. I have a few other tech tricks, but I'll leave that for my customers. You can actually rebuild the damper with new seals. Theyre available from a few shops.

WARNING: This is an unofficial guide. The info on here is not approved by XFUSION. Oil volumes were determined by myself from testing. Follow it at your own risk.

2. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Thanks for this - have two of these forks in my world.

3. 1TrackMind

1TrackMind Member

Sales
    i just pulled my DLA air cartridge and replaced it with the standard single air cartridge on my Vengeance...best, move I have made in a long time. Butter.