Wrist Injury Question

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by Will Goes Boing, Nov 28, 2012.

1. mike001

mike001 Well-Known Member

FWIW, the only wrist injury I've had took a long time to heal, nearly a year before I could comfortably press my palm @ 90° wrist bend. Good luck...

2. mtbomeez

mtbomeez New Member

I sprained one wrist 20 years ago (age 14) and the other about 8 years ago in college. Both took forever to heal (~6 months) and neither has been the same since. I'm actually considering putting some of those grips with the extra rubber for wrist support even though they're "women's". Maybe I just have girly wrists, lol. I think you should give them time to heal up as best as possible. Seeing a doc isn't a bad idea if you're having doubts which it sounds like you are.

Good luck healing up!

3. scan

scan Member

occupational therapist
    mtbomeez, the extra wrist support is for anybody. There is a common nerve compression caused by the pressure and extending of your wrists while riding. I think ergo grips makes a model of these and there are less expensive ones too. As you get older being "macho" takes a back seat to living with less pain and enjoying riding as well as other activities.

4. mtbomeez

mtbomeez New Member

I find this out more and more each day. The 20 year old me would think I'm a wuss...but the current me thinks the 20 year old me was a risk-taking fool. Such is life.

Thanks for the intel on the ergo-grips...on my stocking list.

5. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Will... we have not heard back I hope you went and got an XRay... there are bones such as the Scaphoid in your wrist that only get blood from one end...if broke the other end can "Die/Necrose" in a relatively short time frame...this is *very* bad... and during this process the pain can subside...only to wreak havoc later

I highly recommend The UCI Orthopaedic & Sports Medicine Center
    http://www.sportsmedicine.uci.edu/

They are an amazing teaching hospital .. I can not have a higher reccomndation for them and my DR Rafijah which did my surgery
    http://www.sportsmedicine.uci.edu/faculty/rafijah.html

good luck

6. Will Goes Boing

Will Goes Boing New Member

Sorry for the late response, I have not seen a doctor yet. Aside from having been busy with work a part of me is procrastinating in hopes that it will get better on its own. Thanks a lot for the recommendation, I'll definitely make an appointment with him to get an X-ray done. I appreciate the concern and referral!

7. maximililian

maximililian You Sneaky Cork-Soaker!

Owner of "Club Moronie" the finest fargin legit es
    "sprain" just means there was damage that didn't include a bone breaking. Some sprains are minor. Some aren't and can take a LONG time to heal. It all depends on how much damage was done to the connective tissue. For example, I have sprained both of my ankles (severely). The bone didn't break, but it would been much better if it had. They both took about 9-12 months to be somewhat back to normal. A break is usually better than a significant sprain. If you really want to know where you stand, go get an x-ray and/or MRI. That'll tell the story. But, at the end of the day, it is what it is. It will heal when it's healed.

8. Mamba_Gurl

Mamba_Gurl New Member

Preschool teacher
    You may also suffer from reflex sympathetic dystrophy

9. scan

scan Member

occupational therapist
    M Gurl, RSD is very painful and stiffness is part of the condition. If you have RSD you would be seeking medical help because you wouldn't be able to use your hands very well.

10. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

I went to my ortho about a 3 month old wrist injury.
    Sprain or slight tear in the ligament.
    He said it would simply take months.
    So, at 6 mos most of the pain is gone but still can tell.
    Hopefully another 6 will do the trick.

11. osmarandsara

osmarandsara Active Member

my turn

At Sycamore (mini-moab) was trying a new line...front wheel caught a rock...went OTB....X-rays revealed only one small fracture on my index finger....but wrist suffered a Grade II sprain.....was sent to the cast room to get a custom splint....looking at 5-10 weeks...

011.jpg 014.jpg