Ride Report WoodWard West

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by BFloFoxRider., Jun 1, 2009.

1. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    Havent seen any ride reviews yet.

Got up to tehachapi Friday around 930, went to the hangar and watched some people go.
    Saturday, woke up, walked the course, registered, then did some runs. I think we ended up with like 11 runs for the day, or something crazy liek that.
    On a side note, i turned 17 on saturday, Had fun spending m BDay with a bunch of racing Friends and fellow STR members.
    Sunday, the course was super washed out and dry, but VERY fun.I didnt do so well in the race, 10th out of 15 in sport men 18 - under.
    I need to practice my high speed cornering and off camber turning.
    Thanks everyone for making it so fun, look forward to seeeing some pictures, Especially the Video from when Compton was going huge and backflpping to Resi.
    :bang:

2. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

I had a great time too!!! Did 7 runs on Saturday (albeit slowly and minimal jumping/pedaling). I did not race but Roger did. 4th of 4 in the Old Man Expert class.

Great to see everyone. I did take some pictures and will try to upload them tonight. Congrats to everyone who raced!!! :bang:

3. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    ALSO, Healing Vibes to Dustin (DirtyMikeTDB)
    in his second run, he aired out that jump, and endoed.. his front wheel landed past the finish line, and tried to save it but got bucked.
    Talked to him last night, may have torn his ACL, cant move his knee, and possibly broke rib # 4 or 5 on the right side.
    Luckily he stayed off that wrist, since it ust got done healing.
    Hope all is well Dustin :wave:

Here's a pic of Bryan going Big in the foam pit, Practicing those moto whips.
    http://www.bluefirepictures.com/details.php?gid=672&pid=8030

Looking at whats uploaded so far, Andy got some sweet shots.

4. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    super fun....Very mellow - not a ton of people.
    Although my class had more women than i've ever raced against, 5 total.

2 run format.
    1st run finished 2nd - 5 and some change seconds off 1st - It was a pretty conservative run for me - plenty of people were crashing at the drop then s turn up top so I wanted to make sure I rode that clean and make ALL the corners on the run clean too.

2nd run finished 2nd - but gained 4 seconds from my previous run, still cleaned the top section, let off the brakes and pedaled a bit more.

Placed 2nd overall and am very happy with my race...i'm starting to feel like quiting smoking and really focusing on training are helping with my race progress.

STR - as a whole did really well this weekend.

This was David B's 1st race but i'll let him share his weekend with you.

It was great to see Carla back out on the bike and racing :bang:

Great weekend of racing with great people, can't ask for much more than that :)

ps...It was nerve racking and exciting to see Nancy riding the course - nerve racking because I get worried she'll get hurt before she's 100% there-fore keeping her off the bike LONGER and excited because I know how much riding her bike again means to her! The smile couldn't be wiped off her face for the ENTIRE weekend..nice job Nancy taking baby steps and not going all out~! I know it was hard :wave:

5. 27tat27

27tat27 Two Wheels One Pilot

Offroad fabricator
    where is the pics......cant wait to see them...:bang:

6. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    I thought you quit smoking :?:

7. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    I did!!!! that's why I said quitting smoking #-oIt has been 5 weeks today! No urges and usually not that cranky - well except for last night :lol:

now back to race RR's!

8. airgabe

airgabe New Member

teacher
    Quit smoking?

Hey, Miracles do occur?:clap: It is about time you quit!!

9. Dynamatt

Dynamatt Ride or Die

Prop Maker
    Home Page:
    I had the such a great weekend... This was my first race in sport and felt ok.. I ended up getting 4th. I failed in the s turns my first ruin since the course was changed from practice. But my second run i shaved 3 seconds off and was able to jump 2 places in doing so. Woodward is a great place and i will definitely be going back again!!! Now where are those pictures

10. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Had a great and interesting weekend.

Got a decent amount of practice runs in but never felt comfortable with a section at the top. After that I could let the bike run and with little problem. Had one crash/bail when I over jumped a table top and went of course. We had all given up on David and though he chickened out. Then that afternoon who shows up David. Jumped out of line got the goggles he needed and went up to practice with David. Then the fun started, figure out what to do we no longer had keys to the car#-o. Luckily it was unlocked and have great helpful friends who locked up bikes for use and gave us rides to hotel /dinner and back. :bang:

Race day did two practice runs trying to get my bad section worked out but still didn't really get it worked out. Was shocked when I saw seed list and there were 4 in my class, instead of th close to 20 we normally have. Then up for the race, first got to the bottom and thought I did ok but I was not real happy with the run, I blew a few corners at bottom I had no issues with all weekend. Then I had Sherman tell me he though I was up by at least a second on him. Say the times, got smoked by first place by almost 7 seconds, but was in second 3 seconds up on 3rd and 4th. Then second run still just worked to make it through the top with out losing to much time, but lower half went much better but kinda conservative hoping as long as I had a good run and stayed up I could keep 2nd place. Cut over 2 seconds off first run and finished second.

Was glad to see so many of my friends so well. Glad to see Carla racing again, glad David showed up and glad I went. I really wasn't going until Traci kinda convinced me to go.

Practice run following David and Traci, well once I caught up to them.:lol:

[vimeo]4944157[/vimeo]

11. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    your funny! You forgot to mention that this was our one last check out the course before race run, so no speed records where being set here ;) (at least for David and I :lol:)

12. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

What it took me a while to catch up to you two. :?:

13. bluefirepictures

bluefirepictures Almost Local Rider/Photog

Home Page:
    Fun weekend. I rode the hanger a little on friday. Never got around to riding the DH course. My brother broke his bike and used parts off my bike to fix it.

I took about 1,100 pictures this weekend. They will be online throughout the day. I wasnt the only one taking pictures on the hill, so there should be some more around somewhere...

Met some more STR people. Cool. If you saw me on race day and I seemed a little out of it sorry. I have so many things to do on the day of the race. And I think the sun was getting to me.

Thanks Dan for the use of your camp at the bottom, and dinner. I owe you some pictures.

If were riding with me after practice on Saturday and before the hanger let me know. Ill tell you how to see the pictures I took.

14. davidB

davidB Active Member

<--needs to ride (DH) more

To the few of you taking bets whether I would show up, ha! :wave:

My first practice run I just rolled through everything scoping out the course. I got a little too comfortable by the end and nose wheelied what seemed like forever off of the last kicker by the finish line. I thought my day was going to be over right then and there.

My 2nd practice run I followed Traci down and got hung up on a washed out flat turn that kept giving me problems. Mark has that on video #-o

My 3rd and last practice run on Saturday went really well and couldn't have asked for a more comfortable run.

Sunday morning was pretty much the same when practicing.

Then the race came. My first run I was nervous as hell. :-s I was calm all throughout practice, but lining up and hearing donny count off the seconds for every rider had my heart beating a bit faster.

Not too far from the start I hear and see Roger yell at me to go faster, I had just started! :lol: Somewhere down the course on that flat turn that kept giving me problems I take it a bit too wide and go off course for a second or so. #-o

My 2nd race run went nearly perfectly (for me at least) and I was 3 seconds faster.

I think I've given up on XC racing. It's just no fun compared to racing DH. The scene and people are much friendlier. Less egos, more relaxed, etc. For me racing XC takes the fun out of riding, not so in DH!

Thanks everyone on here that was out there this weekend, it wouldn't have been as much fun without the STR crew!

15. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

The Video is from Sun David, first run on Sunday.

The Nerves are normal most of us get them. I remember someone saying they had heart rate monitor on for race and it 180 sitting the gate to start.

You did very good for your first race, especially since most everyone had way more practice.

16. davidB

davidB Active Member

Here's the podium pics Bryan took with my camera

Bryan in 3rd
    [​IMG]

Chuck aka Happy Gilmore
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

myself, 4th of 6
    [​IMG]

Mark aka mfoga in 2nd
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ladies!
    [​IMG]

17. ultraNoob

ultraNoob Future Vet Beginner

Didn't make it to practice on sat, but I showed up at 7:00 on sunday. Got 3 practice runs in. 1st run was clean and slow. 2nd run was cleaner and a bit faster but not fast enough. dhMike got me by 0.20 sec overall to take 3rd. Good times out there. Had a blast talkin smack with the zclass hero's FastEddy, mfoga, and dhMike.

What was that guys name that did the otb-header at the finish line? I think he was running ZA class.

DirtyMike... heal up bro. 4 broken ribs, sternum, and a ACL is alot of damage.... but at least you got some some good air before the finish line.

18. denmother

:bang: You had us worried there David, so which bike ya gonna sell, huh???? :?: Welcome to the Darkside!!! :lol:

19. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    Good job Traci, Maddie and I are proud of you.

Racing is fun,especially when you beat someone:lol:!

20. denmother

Oh, I forgot to mention that Winston's front brake on his expired IH was not working, so he borrowed my bike for racing (I do have a picture to prove it). Although he LOVED the bike, he won't be switching. :-(