Winter Creek/Zion loop conditions.

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by mpmffitz, Nov 19, 2008.

1. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    Today was the first time riding San Gabes. What a bad ass trail Mount Zion Winter Creek is. In fact some maintenance was being done on the Winter Creek, by a devoted older gentlemen. The exposure tests your mortality and somewhat stressful. The dh from the top of Zion is utter madness it is so fast with no room for mistakes. Thanks to all those that have blazed this trail before me. I'll be back on this what a jewel in the LA metro area.

2. davidB

davidB Active Member

I forget his name now, but was he kind of quirky? That's the ranger that lives/works there if I recall correctly. I met him once with JoeTruth and he lived up to his description, then I ran into him again a couple weeks ago. If that's not him, then disregard this whole paragraph lol

3. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    Chantry is a total gem. So close to the city yet so far away. Glad you enjoyed. The trail from Chantry to Sturtevant Camp was originally built by Willie Strutevant in the late 1890. Due to the fire up there you can see some of the original trail up to Chantry down by the homes.

A few years ago I organized several maintenance events to open up the section of trail that climbs to Mt. Zion. A very rewarding experience. I plan to head up in few weeks to remove the overgrown poision oak on the upper part Zion heading down to Sturtevant.

I rode the Upper Winter Creek and Lower Winter Creek Trails last night. Supper fun riding that area at night!

4. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    At night that is nutz. Bless your work it allows therapy to bestowed upon my soul.