Why is Stan's such a PITA? And, why do I bother?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Evil Chocula, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SSinGA

SSinGA Free-XC-Downhiller

short-bus driver
    Have you tried inflating it using a compressors with the valve core out? This method works for a stubborn set of Maxxis prototypes I'm testing. It snapped the bead right into place.

2. Evil Chocula

Evil Chocula ah buh bye now

Sorry, but does it sound like I've been using the the Shimano XTR WH-975 (XC), or the Shimano XT WH-M776?

Woudn't I have prefaced this thread as "Why is the Shimano XTR WH-975 (XC), or the Shimano XT WH-M776 such a PITA?"

3. Padre

Padre New Member

Inhuman Resources
    We were talking about tubeless set-up, no?

Nice try dodging the point though.

4. thephat

thephat Active Member

My opinion:

The folks who say that you only have issues if you don't take your time, or follow instructions do not share my range of experience with the product.

The folks who do not see the benefits of the product also do not share my range of experience.

Stanz is finicky. It can go great for a long time, then suddenly fail. You can have a tire model work repeatedly, then when you get a new tire it can fit a little looser even though it's the same model and brand. This will lead to sudden failures that can be loud and messy.

Stanz can also yeild the lightest possible setup, with performance advantages, and fantastic puncture resistance. There are lots of ins and outs to the situation, and no one answer for everyone.

The best is when a Stanz setup blows off, and somone gets hurt, then you get a letter from a lawyer asking for your insurance info. I wish I never told anyone about Stanz.

5. ArrrKelly

ArrrKelly New Member

For those of you putting 100 psi or whatever to set the bead...Are you soaping up the bead like it shows in the video? Watch the video and do what it shows in the video. You should not have any big issues.

6. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    I've been using Stans for many years with no major issues or trailside disasters. The biggest problems I've had involved Kenda tires and their already weak sidewalls. I haven't taken the time to read all of this thread but if some of you are using anything above 50-60psi to seat the bead then you are asking for trouble. Just read the directions, watch the vid and use an air compressor with the valve core removed to seat the bead. Depending on use you will need to refill the tire with more sealant about once a month or so. I will never go back to tubes.

7. Evil Chocula

No compressor, no chance of fitting one anywhere in my apartment.

8. Zippo

Zippo Pow Wow!

+1000000000000000000.

isn't beating this dead horse FUN???!!!:beer:

9. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

My point is that i've never seen the need to go tubeless in the first place. The trailside horror shows i've seen have only reinforced my opinion. But if you have a great track record with it, more power to you. Ride what works for you. ... And try not to get so uptight if someone's equipment preference differs from yours. :)

10. Piranha

Piranha Member

Sorry to hear of your troubles with Stans and tubeless. I certainly understand your frustration. Good luck whatever direction you decide to go.

11. Evil Chocula

Thanks ;). Sorry if I'm a little snappy, this stan's thing's really worked me into a tizzy.

12. 1080P

1080P Banned

Dotting "i's" & crossing "t's" while balancing
    Bitchy and sticky tires

When all else fails.. RTFM. Gotta get the bead seated first before you worry about Satan"s Sealant.

13. uzziboy

uzziboy hi Ron...it's Ron

who cares
    evil not true, u can go to sears and buy a finish carpentry pancake style compressor very small doesnt make alot of noise. I believe that you could probably get at least 4-5 full tires out of a full compressor.

And if you buy this one you can give me the nail gun for such a brilliant idea

[​IMG]
    $219.99

1 hp Universal Motor gives greater starting torque than induction motors for improved operation in low-voltage conditions. Compact size, ideal for the homeowner for inflations/small air tools. Includes 3/8 in. x 25 ft. hose, 1/4 in. female quick connect body and plug, thread sealing tape and 18 gauge brad nailer.

Choosing the perfect air compressor
    Includes magnesium 18 ga. brad nailer, 3/8 in. x 25 ft. PVC hose
    1/4 in. female QC body, hi-flow 1/4 in. female plug, thread sealing tape

14. mtnbkrdavid

mtnbkrdavid Let's Ride

Technical Training Instructor for Nissan North Ame
    run a tube first

I run a tube for a week or so, then remove it when the tire fits the wheel and add stanz.

15. Evil Chocula

Update:

So, although the front tire is now tubed, I still have Stan's hooked up in the rear, I needed to "restan" it with some new goo.

1. Managed to remove the valve core and inject new goo.
    2. Much to my SHOCK, the tire then resealed and reinflated with no problem.

So, year to date, this is the first Stan's related procedure that has gone smoothly for me. There may be hope yet.

16. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    not counting pec implants

i've only had one flat in the last couple of years. maybe it's where i ride (feather land). maybe i'm doing something wrong...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2008
  17. 1080P

1080P Banned

Dotting "i's" & crossing "t's" while balancing
    Maybe you should skip the stans and only put it in when your tire starts to leak, Carry a 2 oz squirter of Satan's Sealant, a Co2 cartridge and a roll of paper towels handy in your backpack for when you need it?

18. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 New Member

sheesh, you guys are causing me to question my belief in Stans with all the talk of blown tires off rims, ringing ears and spooge dripping from the chin ;-)

I've been using it for years with kenda tires, however, just today I thought I'd try a Schwalbe and was not able to air it up with Stan's...bahhh. I agree, it is a PITA and frustrating when you can't get it to air up. I put a tube in and may just leave it..we'll see.

In the last few years of using it though, I haven't had any flats. One slit sidewall which required me to put a tube in and one bead blown off during a crash...but the crash came first and was not caused by the bead coming off. So, I'd have to say that during those several years I would have had several conventional flats...so I think all in all its been a good experience for me.

Not sure I saved any money, as I've bought several bottles of Stans and not sure that there is much if any weight savings, but I think the tire does ride better and traction may be slightly better. The time I have saved by not changing flats on the trail has more than been made up for by the time I've spent installing Stans on new tires...so its not a time saver.

I dunno, someone convince me one way or the other....that broken shoulder story almost pushes me over the edge to Yes Tubes.

19. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Had to read this more than once.......

Oh yes, I maintain 4 tubeless wheelsets. 100% easy and goo-free.

Padre loves "Scams Tubeless":?:

What is next cats and dogs sleeping together:wave:

Hydro brakes now Stans:bang:

Now if you ditch the Lenz all will be right in the universe;)

20. reignin_stink

reignin_stink watches yardsales daily

Physical Therapy Student
    Put the tires in the sun for about 30 min, the heat will make the rubber softer and more pliable. and then use soapy water on the seating surface to make it seal. a compressor is helpful but not entirely necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.