Why Enduro is the Best Format for MtB Racing

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by herzalot, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Sir Laplack

Sir Laplack New Member

Fixed. :)

All joking aside, Enduro seems more well rounded than DH or FR. I think XC is the purest form of MTB racing, but if we want to go back to the roots, bombing down Mt Tam is how it all started, so it could be argued that DH is the purest form.

2. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    XC mountain bike racing is to mountain biking what XC skiing is to skiing.

Primarily a test of fitness compared to a test of fun, skill, fitness, speed and daring.

Not that going downhill on sketchy equipment when exhausted doesn't require skill or daring, it's just not as much fun as doing it on equipment made for that purpose.

3. strobe

strobe resident noob

I have to disagree. Many of the recent XC courses have enough to test condition and handling skills. There are many sections i would probably walk even if i was fresh. And, they do this on skinny micro knobbie tires at 180bpm. Not as technical on a regular basis, but, get a pro XC rider on a trail and i bet their skills would surprise you.

I do like the enduro format and what it requires, but, lets not think a pro DH rider doesn't have the conditioning for an event like this. Sure, they aren't doing any massive elevation gain. But, the power they put into the flat sections is enough to prove they have the legs, lungs, and heart to put out some watts. I would bet the top DH riders would be very competitive in an enduro format. Once the video coverage starts the money will follow. Then it might be worth it for big names to start getting involved. For now, its not worth it to get hurt at an enduro race and miss out on the DH money.

4. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    Wait - you disagree with my skiing comparison, but then don't address it. :?:

Surprisingly, I don't disagree with any of what you wrote. I know XC racers are more skilled than one might think and can do technical stuff on ill-matched equipment in their underwear. My premise is that enduro racing more closely mirrors the way a lot of us prefer to ride on the equipment many of us prefer to ride. I know the guys (and only guys) for whom every MtB ride is a race from the time their tires hit the dirt until their return to the car. Every ride is a "training ride." They can't conceive of any other goal in mountain biking but getting faster (uphill). Kudos!

I also agree that today's DH racers are supremely fit. They spend amazing amounts of time in the gym and on road bikes. I am wondering if the UCI rules prevent them from competing in Enduro races as well as the common sense of not wanting to overdo it or expose themselves to more chance for injury. Last year, a number of current DH racers raced a few of the EWS events (Steve Peat, Greg Minnaar, Steve Smith). This year, not so much.

Bottom line is I think Jared Graves may be the best all-around bike racer in the world, at least on dirt. He has won 4x World Champs, podiumed in WC DH - including a 3rd at the last DH World Championships on his trailbike, won countless bmx races including Olympic medals, won the Australian National XC title this year and won several stages of EWS events finishing 2nd overall last year. Jerome Clementz still has his number and would most likely be leading the EWS, but for his injury, but Jerome doesn't have the rest of the resume that Jared does. I heard Grubby would have entered the Tour de France, except Yeti doesn't make a road bike.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2014
  5. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Ditto - what Chris wrote... His mind reading abilities are uncanny... ;)

6. Adi

Adi Member

Saw Curtis Keene last night at United terminal in LAX at 11 PM, assuming returning form Italy. Lots of Evoc bike bags in the oversize baggage claim initially caught my eye while weighting for my luggage, then I saw mister red bull advertisement pick up one of them. But what was odd to me was Danny Hart and a bunch of british Team Giant guys picking up there bike bags, in So Cal? I guess maybe going to Giant offices, otherwise can't see why he would be here this time of year. All the best downhilling isn't here and or races I believe are in Europe right now?

Side note on all the luggage just sitting there with no security, about 50 feet from the door and gone. I remember when you use to have show your bag tags before leaving that area. Not anymore and maybe i'm just paranoid with my own stuff but their was bike bags on top of bike bags, plus huge DT Swiss wheel only bags just hanging out for some thief to just walk up and out the door within minutes of not being checked. While picking me up my wife saw one terminal away half a dozen plus of Specialized bags being loaded into a truck, everyone was coming to town or coming home last night.

Sorry for maybe derailing this thread a bit, but Keene siting was Enduro related. Plus I agree it's the best form of racing right now!

7. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Next World Cup is Canada in a couple weeks.

8. herzalot

EdgeUCater
  9. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    This is ridiculous:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/results-enduro-world-series-round-5-colorado-2014.html

Product launch two weeks prior to a World Series event in the Company's home state. Keyboard critics jumping all over Yeti for their "overly complicated" design, or for improving on the Switch technology at all. Send out your riders with new SB 6 and SB5 and KILLL the competition, ,winning every stage and getting 1st and 2nd for the weekend.

Thats how you do a product launch my friends. I'll bet the distribution department at Yeti is receiving a few orders this morning.

Congrats to Jared Graves and Richie Rude. Unbelievable. And props to Mitch Ropelato too!

10. doublewide

doublewide Ride Life....Ride GIANT

King
    Rumor around the pits this weekend was that the Big "S" was in the process of stealing away Graves and Rude. I hope not for the health and well being of the Herzalot. LOL

Pretty awesome launch, but NONE of us ride like them two! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2014
  11. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    It stands to reason that the evil red S would try to steal racers from Yeti. Everyone does it. Wait for Yeti to find and develop racers, then give them a bigger paycheck to jump ship. If the bottom line is your bottom line, then that's what you do as a bike company. Saves on putting money into racer development or grass roots racing, (Yeti will do that for you) then it sells bikes like crazy when you get the stars riding your bike. In my mind, that's reason enough to buy a Yeti over any of the poachers' bikes. I don't blame the athletes, and I don't blame the big bike companies. They just need to write a big fat thank you check to Yeti for doing the legwork.

John Tomac, Tinker Juarez, Rishi Grewall, Myles Rockwell, Juliana Furtado, Missy Giove, Nathan Rennie, Rich Houseman, Sam Blenkinsop, Justin Leov, Jared Graves, Aaron Gwin and probably a half dozen I forgot to mention - great racers developed by Yeti. Only Graves remains, and now that Rude has proven he has world class DH and Enduro chops at age 20, he will also be gone. Conroy knows this, but sticks to the mission. Major props!

12. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    The next EWS round is today at Whistler. This one may be the hardest test they have faced - 5 stages in one day (instead of three) and I believe they have to pedal up for all of the stages - no lifts or shuttles. And - the tracks are STEEP and nasty. This will truly be an endurance race. Go Graves! Go Rude! Go Keene!

I think our very own Mo is up there, so he can personally cheer them on (along with all of the Crankworx acrobats) and perhaps add to his "pics with a pro" thread. Knowing Mo, he may have even entered the race!

EDIT: After watching this promo video from Polygon, I see that one of the stages is from top of the World. They will definitely take the lift for that one rather than making them ride up 5280 vertical feet. They will still be required to climb over 8000' on their bikes today - brutal.

Enjoy this little video. AWOLNation always seems to come up with video-worthy music (no, it's not "sail").

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/ews-whistler-polygon-ur-preview-video-2014.html

And this slideshow from VitalMTB will tell you more than you need to know about the various stages and some Rhinos for no reason:

http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/Enduro-World-Series-Whistler-BC,7973/Slideshow,0/sspomer,2

And now that I've captured your attention along with hearts and minds, here is one more photo essay that will tell you all you ever wanted to know about this round of the EWS AND a handy tire repair tip from Curtis Keene:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/closing-the-circle-enduro-world-series-round-6-whistler.html

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2014
  13. Danimal

Danimal Gary the Cat

The whistler trail looks good, what I liek to think of as mtn biking.

I intend to watch the race today at 5pm. Should be fun.

14. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    Which one? They are racing 5 of them (4 are not at the Whistler ski area, but all are at Whistler).

"Ride Don't Slide" looks pretty friggin' challenging fo sho! And "Crazy Train" at Blackcomb looks gnarly too (Vital MTB link).

15. Danimal

Danimal Gary the Cat

Hell I don't know which one. It was the vid you linked.
    I forget that videos flatten out gnarly trails.
    Anyway, I liked the look of the trails, and have delusions I could ride then easily.

And hrz, you know how much I liked whistler. On the other hand, I've come a long way in riding since then.

16. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

Where is it streaming at, or is it by chance on TV?

17. Danimal

Danimal Gary the Cat

On pinkbike or redbull tv , webcasts

18. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

19. Danimal

Danimal Gary the Cat

20. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

It's on pink bike right now.