Who's sick around here?

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by fongster, Jan 29, 2013.

1. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    When I have sinus congestion...nothing ever seems to work. Drives me crazy.

2. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    Last night I woke up several times as my sinuses were burning. I wasn't very congested but dang they hurt. I didn't want to get up to take a tylenol though--doh. I forced myself to do a road ride today. I actually felt pretty good. The exercise had me nose draining pretty good. We've had no fever here, so probably colds of some sort. BTW, don't insist on antibiotics from your doctor as they don't work on viruses like colds and flu. As for mucus, my doctor said it's not the color but how long you've had it. You can have a viral infection that mimics a bacterial one. Check with your doc if in doubt. In the past, I've had nasty colored stuff coming up but was told to wait a couple days to see if it cleared and sure enough it did so it was viral in those cases.

3. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    Regular Sudafed or Pseudoephedrine (not the PE one) clears me up really well. I combine it with tylenol if there's headache pain. It's now behind the pharm counter as it's one of the ingredients for cooking meth, lol. I have also found relief using a moist-heat heating pad on my face.

4. robow8

robow8 Member

Ibuprofen works batter than Tylenol as it will reduce the sinus swelling, letting the Sudafed work.

5. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    I used to use Ibuprofen for its anti-inflam qualities but can't take NSAIDs anymore. It does work great.

6. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

My pediatrician taught us the trick of alternating Tylenol and Ibuprofen every 4 hrs when the symptoms/fever is really bad. Having suffered from severe allergies and a near-constant sinus infection for about 2 years as a result I learned sinus rinsing (I like Neil Med), Emergen-C, Cold-Eze, and Vitamin D really help. Garlic is good too as it is a natural anti-biotic. You can get enteric coated garlic from Sprouts which won't leave you burbing it up.

CDC is reporting the flu vaccine to be about 60% effective against the strain going around.

Feel better everyone!

7. doublewide

doublewide Ride Life....Ride GIANT

King
    Mental.................

8. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

Mucinex is by far the best, its expensive though

9. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    Mucinex did work for sure, but it made me feel really strange. I also have chronic minor congestion from allergies, what really helps it is exercise!

10. me and my bike

me and my bike New Member

man of many trades
    Ive been dying this week with the flue. Body aches, chills, fever, the whole works. Finally went to the doctor today because the fever wasn't dying down and he said to wait one more day. How long did it take before some of you were back on the bike and howd you get back into it? Next year flu shot for sure

11. blindman_22

blindman_22 HAB Crew President

computer stuff
    i was sick off and on from the beginning of december and am finally starting to feel normal. whatever it is, it's nasty. i didn't get a fever though.

12. maximililian

maximililian You Sneaky Cork-Soaker!

Owner of "Club Moronie" the finest fargin legit es
    In the winter- NEVER eat cold food you didn't prepare. ALWAYS use purell after touching anything. NEVER stand near someone who is coughing or sneezing. If you do this, you'll never get sick. Virus live up to 100x longer on surfaces when it's 40 degrees compared to 80 degrees. Just a public service announcement. I got sick twice last year for like 8 days each...and 102 fever. Was coughing up green/yellow and eve ORANGE stuff!! Thought for sure I was gonna die. I lost like 10 pounds though ;)

13. DyeFoo

DyeFoo New Member

Most people forget that the flu shot is only good for the virus strand from last year. I'm not saying don't get the flu shot but you need to be taking vitamins to boost your immune system.

14. proraptor

I have a stupid cold that wont go away

15. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

Kale smoothies and hemp protein.

16. mtbfan

mtbfan MTBFAN

Sick again.....this is the second time in 6 months, and I usually never get sick, eat healthy, exercise, so what happened? My BF had 102ยบ fever for two days, and now I have the same. Two days home, and the aches just don't seem to go away without Advil. Not sure if this is the flu or the common cold. Symptoms are very similar, I guess.

17. Dirtboy29

Dirtboy29 New Member

Howard Hughes was a good role model for a germaphobic. You know you're gonna die but in the meantime...slip your sleeve over your hand when you open a public door, never touch the toilet lever of a public restroom without using TP, Use a paper towel when you pick up the office coffee pot (try not to let anyone see) When you shower make an effort to really get your sinuses clean.

Stuff like that... and eating healthy,

Hank

P.S. I don't want to say I have not been sick (even a cold) for the last three years but I won't because you know what happens when you make statements like that.

18. mtbfan

mtbfan MTBFAN

Well, I have to say that when it comes to health, I am probably one of the ones trying to do everything right. I exercise regularly. I ride at least three times a week, but nothing too strenuous, except for one day on the weekend. I run before work (3 miles) twice a week. I eat fruit and vegetables every day, no red meat. So, that brings me to the question if you guys think the Flu Shot is actually beneficial. I have never taken the flu shot, and the last time I had the flu was when I was 10 probably. Curious to see your opinions.

19. proraptor

Start eating red meat, it will grow hair on your chest which in turn will fight off colds/sickness

20. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

LADWP
    woke up with a sore throat today. Runny nose now andhead feels congested. Crap.