Dirt Jumps Whoops Sunday 10/4 4pm

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by stuffshredman, Oct 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stuffshredman

stuffshredman Member

engineer - AI, some robotics
    A buddy and me will be at the whoops from 4-5:30 tomorrow. I haven't jumped in a while, so it could be entertaining... gotta get my chops back.

If anyone's interested in meeting up... pm or just show up! Braahp!

2. stuffshredman

stuffshredman Member

yeah, wow, I really stink at the lippy stuff, and it seems to have gotten more lippy/vert since last time I was there. Well, just gonna have to look like a goon till I get it down, i guess.

3. W4S

W4S New Member

and be prepared to put in some shovel time, the jumps dont maintain themselves.

4. stuffshredman

stuffshredman Member

and here I was thinking that my tax dollars were funding some dirt jump division of the forestry service.

Thanks for the tip :clap:

5. W4S

W4S New Member

i'm guessing that's sarcasm? i didnt realize you were already out there doing trailwork, i must not have seen you out there putting all those hours in, good job though buddy! :clap:

6. stuffshredman

stuffshredman Member

All sarcasm aside... It sounds like you have put considerable time and effort into The Whoops. For that you (and other builders) should be heartily commended and thanked by all those who get to experience the whoops. So, thank you, from me.

However, and please take this as one person's opinion (and take it or leave it as constructive criticism).. but in many of your posts regarding other's shovel time at the whoops, you sound very condescending and lecturing. I have found few people in my short life that this technique works well to motivate.

And, while trail work by all should be encouraged, we must realize that not everyone can do it all of the time... and those who can't should not be looked down upon or admonished, because we do not know the details of their life.

I've been riding/ racing BMX, motocross, XC, DH, DS since the age of 8 (i'm 40 now) and have done a huge amount of shoveling in my days. Now, I have a full time job, a wife that works nites, and three kids. I'm lucky if I get to pedal three times a month... much less build trails. I will build again, as my life permits.

Anyway, keep up the good work, please don't look down on those who can't do regular trail maintenance, be positive, and ask nicely for help.. you'll be more likely to get it.

My two cents. Peace.

7. W4S

W4S New Member

condescending, no. lecturing, maybe but i don't mean too. I'm sorry you took my post that way, all i said was that the place needs to be maintained and if you're going to ride there be prepared to use a shovel, i guess i should use more emoticons. fwiw, i do get bummed at how many people show up and hammer the place but don't help maintain it and it shows in the condition of the jumps. I'm not really trying to motivate you, i don't ride there much anymore, i havent been in at least a month and I have a new spot (no, I dont need help) but last time i was there it was pretty hammered, if you're going to ride there be prepared to put in some shovel time once in a while. As for the past, we got plenty of help, thanks! :wave:

PS, i'm stoked you're such a busy old dude who finds time to dj every once in a while, and a bonus that you're an amateur psychologist.

8. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    Careful what you ask for...

There are also some folks I have seen and worked with who have no business being behind a shovel.

9. live_in_hilo@yahoo.com

[email protected] hilo boi

hvac
    reason why i dont build but my friend helps when curt is there. i do help haul water jugs if that counts.

10. Drop D

Drop D New Member

Un-Employed
    same here... but I haven't been there for a long time... :wave:

11. stuffshredman

stuffshredman Member

So, if I happen to show up at your new spot, and I'm not prepared to shovel, will I be turned away? Bike confiscated? Be given dirty looks as I bust the gaps?

Also, would you please let me know places it's ok for me to ride on days I'm not prepared to shovel?

Thanks.

12. W4S

W4S New Member

I dont care where you ride. I'm not too worried about you showing up to the new spot, you have no idea where it is. But, yes, if you came to me new spot and didn't dig, you would not ride. those are the ground rules, live with it.

I'm not sure why you're becoming so combative, maybe you need to turn your amateur psychology inwards. read my last post again, carefully.

if you have anything else to say, PM me directly.

13. stuffshredman

stuffshredman Member

I'm not trying to be combative, rather, I'm just curious how this "no dig, no ride" policy will be enforced. I'm also curious if there are other places that I'm currently riding that have "no dig, no ride" policies in effect.

Also, let's briefly review this thread. First, I invite people to come join a ride. Second, I write that I stink at a certain type of jump and need some practice. Third, you chime in with some condescending remark about being prepared to shovel because jumps don't maintain themselves.

14. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

when its dry its no dig time anyways, if the dirt is good and things need some lovin do it, when its dry and un packable just ride. Your all a bunch of complainers the whoops wont be there forever so stop crying and ride

15. blender

blender = dirt torpedo =

cee gee soup
    don't worry. nobody is going to take your bike away for not digging.. this isn't the 5th grade playground.

but when you put in hours of thankless, back-breaking work into a jump spot, just to have people show up, crap all over it and leave, you're going to be in the mood to lecture too.

Fact is.. everyone that comes and rides that place talks a big game, but when time comes to pick up a shovel and put their hands where their mouth is, everyone suddenly lives 2 hours away, has a full-time job and 3 kids.

If you can find time to ride, you can find time to help maintain the places you like to ride. I'm sorry broham but that's just how it works, and if you don't agree be prepared to hear a little lecturing once in a while

and here's a beer smiley to convey my non-hostile attitude
    :beer:

16. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Okay boys, let's play nicely in the sandbox. We all have our own opinions and LOVE to express them. Yes Whoops is cherished, yes those of you who can, need to come out and help. Those of us who can't should not be persecuted.

And PLEASE feel free to notify us or tell us where we can get a schedule of trailwork days!!! I am sure we can rally enough people and get some to stand in proxy for those of us who can't make it out.

We all love the trail and want to keep riding it. :bang:

Nancy
    STR Moderator

[​IMG]

17. blender

blender = dirt torpedo =

cee gee soup
    now that's what i'm talkin' about
    :bang:

18. Framekiller

Framekiller Professional Lurker.

professional slacker

I for one, would be more than willing to put my tax dollars towards this wonderful cause.

19. BH1

BH1 New Member

Art Director, Motion Graphics and Animation
    What are these Whoopers you all are talking about and can I have directions to this place? :wave:

</sarcasm>

20. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    No no not Whoopers but Whoppers and you can find them on almost any corner. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.