Race Report What was your Traverse experience?

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by Abui, May 13, 2012.

1. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Pain.

I started optimistic that I would break 7 hours. My previous best was 7:00:30 but with over 30 minutes of stopping including multiple flats. I made it to Motorway with a PR. Halfway to 4 corners I had my first cramp. Whoa! That slowed me for sure. Then more cramps. I ended up walking into 4 corners. There I downed food and Gatorade and hoped for recovery. Later Aviatrix and Obie showed up.

I started off and went 100' before cramping again. The bottom of my foot, ankle, shin, calf, and thigh cramped. Soon Aviatrix, her friend, and AJ (who was out to cheer them on) passed me. After mulling over that pain is temporary and regret lifetime I started again and pedaled through. I was soon followed by a 4-wheeler. I was not in a mood to yield anything, if I stopped what would happen? But at a major turn I pulled over and a caravan of 9 verhicles passed. Soon I was on their tail and slowing because a minor rise was troublesome to them! Cr@p.

They finally got out of the way. I turned the cranks and caught up to one of the ladies was who walking and would quit. Just before the last left-hand turn before the peak AJ was waiting. She cheered me on. Thanks! Soon I was following Aviatrix to the highest point. We caught up with a 3rd person and turned downhill. Aviatrix jumped ahead and flew down the hill. I maneuvered past the stranger and followed. We passed Obie who had just fallen. He didn't say NO when I asked OK?

Aviatrix held that lead. I pulled into the HJ Aid station and saw her take off. I stayed and sampled the goodies. Cramps were always with me.
    I continued on, stopping when I had to. When the ankle etc. cramped I couldn't tell if I were clipped in. On the Wall even motorcyles couldn't start without a push.

After passing West Horsethief I looked at my watch and thought 50 minutes more would be 7 hours. Could I do it? On the next slope I passed (Unknown). I was doing OK, limited more by cramps instead of fatigue.

P.O. on Trabuco! What a dodge-fest. On the worst exposed part of Trabuco I walked, a non-responsive leg is no good in those conditions. I made it down to the road and the dust storms from vehicles. Nice headwind on Trabuco but the relief of finishing got me up to 21 mph. 7:21 by GPS, maybe next year.

2. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    That was good fun. Nice seeing all you folks out there on a great weather day (not too hot for me thankfully). I flopped around a bit on the Wall and saw any chance of 7 hrs. go off the cliff - I was cramping when I walked but not on the bike (go figure?) and slogged up the Wall pretty damn slow.

Was finally loose enough to ride more/faster on Trabuco than I ever have and that was the highlight of my day. Talking with Kevin later it seems we both got looser in those last two hours and the ride got much better. It's a good feeling to be able to just let your bike roll down Trabuco and make the right moves. I was really amped to be out of there w/o any drama. Sprint to finish, Kirk with a 'Finisher' medal and....yikes....8 hrs. + for the ride. Maybe next year:lol:

Big ups to Aviatrix and her posse - AJ, Michelle, Kevin, Samir, Reka (thanks for the ride back to B* Samir), Abui ( nice meeting you man - nice ride.). Cool stuff front to back - I'm in for next year.

3. Pilas

Pilas Member

Was it the exact same course as the original Traverse? What was the winning time?

4. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Member

Vestal Watch
    Yes same course. Sounds like a much smaller turnout than when the warriors ran it but still awesome someone is running it. Maybe I will race it next year, nice to take a year off of the suffer fest.

5. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

Race[R}: Traverse 2012

There weren't that many people on this race, especially the long course. 41 it looks like from the results page. Pretty nervous at the beginning, and pissed and obsessing over the fact that I forgot my good luck lipstick from AJ :(. The official asked if anyone was NOT ready. I raised my hand.....LOL! Him: "You're NOT ready?" Me: "No, but let's go anyway." With that everyone took off like it was OTH. I never saw most of them again. One sad-looking guy came rolling down with his chain in his hand at one point on Blackstar. Man; that sucks!

Blackstar sucked. Was having one of those "I'm just NOT feeling it days." We got to the doppler ball, and I kept waiting for my body to settle in. It wouldn't. I tried not to think of how far I still had to go. Made it to Pleasant Peak and started on some of the downhills. Got to that one U-turn downhill; you know the one with the giant gaping HOLE in the trail on the right side before you hit the turn. Barely skidded to a stop prior to going in (many many many thanks to The Path for throwing on my new, shiny, yummy Shimano XT brakes). My friend Michelle was behind me, also having a bad day, and as I climbed up the other side I heard the string of profanity start. Oh no! Obie and I stopped to listen for the moaning. She had obviously gone into that hole. It didn't come. Obie says: "She's up" and with SXP and his lovely wife supporting on motorcycles and on the scene we continued trudging on.

The next downhill was uneventful, but I started the climb and felt really squishy, then more squishy. Looked down and the rear tire was losing air: fast. Shoot! Stopped to try and pop the tire in and pump it back up. It wouldn't hold. Nice dent in the rim preventing the bead from sealing. Ok, tube time! Well that was half an hour; and I'm not even to Motorway yet. No way I'm gonna make the 11 am cut-off at four corners. All well; I'll just enjoy the ride to Four Corners. Before that huge loose hill that I don't know how anyone rides I looked down and saw 10:50am on my Garmin. Sigh.....never gonna make it now. Tried to come to grips with my failure. After that horrible hill (why is it harder to PUSH a bike than ride it?), I climbed back on and saw I had mis-read the time. It had been 10:20, not 10:50. Ok, so there's a chance!!

Rolled into four corners at 10:50 to cheering, smiling AJ. My spirits started lifting. Michelle rolled in shortly after. That girl is TOUGH! So the three of us ladies headed off toward the peak. The banana I crammed at Four corners was working wonders, and AJ was keeping our spirits up. Holy cow were there a lot of motorcycles and cars on the MD Saturday!! Climing toward the peak AJ was becoming more and more concerned with Michelle. I was feeling good, and eventually she dropped back to support our girl Michelle.

Hit the peak and wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, down to LHJ. Now I'm getting on my game. The Wall sucked also, but when doesn't The Wall suck ;) Saw a motorcycle crashed off the side (he was OK). Caught up to Lyndee. What an GEM she is! She was riding in support of her daughter, who was also racing the long course. We hit a downhill and she yelled: "You go girl!" as I accelerated. About two miles from Trabuco SXP rolled up saying Michelle was not doing well. She had made it all the way to the top of The Wall, but the concussion from the crash was starting to rear it's ugly head. My heart sank: I KNEW she was gonna be beyond upset at having to turn back. Luckily SXP and his bride were there for us, they would bring her on the moto down Maple Springs. I grabbed another banana (did I mention bananas are the BOMB), filled my camelback, said my thanks to SXP (we truly couldn't have done it without you), and rode on.

Finally rolled into the Trabuco turn off aid station. Gave them the thumbs up; and WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Down Trabuco I went. I've ridden Trabuco three times. Once during the Toad race last year on Retro Rocket, and twice on Night Fury. FS 29ers rock!! It's actually fun on my shiny Kona :) Hit the bottom, and pedaled my arse off down Trabuco canyon and to the finish at exactly 2pm.

Overall I finished 28th, in 7 hrs and 54 seconds. The third lady to come across the line, and feeling quite in awe. Holy crap I did it!!! I must be Bat Sh!t Crazy ;) Congrats to Sarah Jansen (you are AMAZING), Laura Knight (WOW), Tawnee Prazak (I want to be your friend girl; you are so sweet), Lyndee Prazak (The GEM), and Michelle Olsen (my honorary BIG sis....you made it so much further than I would have after a crash like that. Don't get yourself down). Obie and Abui.....you guys truly embody Old Guys Rule!!

Thanks to SAW sports for putting this on. RnR for your support, all the volunteers who came out, sat on the MD for hours, and helped us achieve our goals.

Personal thanks to Samir for letting me torture you on all those training rides; and especially for riding support (lifesavers!!). AJ; what can I say??? My MTB idol....LOVE you girl.....there are no words. Ted: you are AWESOME. Couldn't have picked a better guy for AJ :)

Thanks for reading my book ;) I hope more of you do this next year. It's one to remember......now it's time for some FUN rides :)

6. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    Nicely done Kelly,nicely done!

I cannot believe how far you have come in so short a time, truly impressive:bang:

And I told you Lyndee was good people, she is a trooper for sure!

7. ajsura

ajsura AJ G2 Bike

G2 Bike and Altitude Training
    AJ's Post-Support Ride Report!
    I was so excited that am jumping out of bed loading up my bike and heading to the start line...why you ask? I sure the heck wasn't racing! HA I was just there to support and cheer for my mentors and friends......and yes Kelly forget her permanent lip gloss stain it was my secret to looking great after VQ LOL....how the heck did your lip gloss stay on...so I got Kelly a tube of her own stainable lip gloss...and she didn't even need it....
    I took pics and video at the start we made a plan..... and off they went...I peddled my butt up Harding with a full pack back and some other friends coaxed me into taking bottle etc for them...... got to the RnR aid station and had tons of fun helping the riders and taking pics....all the while had some small regret not jumping in the race....but then again.....
    I was mostly in awe of the fact that Kelly, Kevin and Michele were the most famous riders at the race...they had the most support I have ever seen...they had two pace moto's, Two SDG sponsored riders, and well me! Come on who draws that much attention.... pretty awing! Oh and Michele's Mom (Grandma) came to the finish as well...
    I met Kelly and Michelle at my 3rd ever race I walked over t them and like deer in headlights they wondered what I wanted...I said "HI"...I am AJ.....they said "I know you're a Pro right BAH HAH HA HA!"....Nope I am just AJ and we made friends.....We started riding together and I knew these ladies were special...Mom's, wives, and workers.....I was inspired and had much life lessons to learn! They bring me a lot of laughs and joy on the trail...I like to see them push themselves and also it pushes me....it's awing to see how far they have come and will go...
    Kelly signed up for Traverse when she saw me finish VQ....I felt honored I (somewhat) inspired her after she saw all the excitement...even more impressed Kelly doesn't ride as much as I do and I knew she could do it but it would be a challenge....then comes Michelle and Kevin signing up days before the race again not long distance riders....But I had no doubts.....THAT WAS THE BEST PART OF THE STORY.....
    When I saw them at the 4 corners I was beaming with pride just bursting after all i had heard they had some flats and crashes....but they kept on.....we all started up the next section together and I knew they were all going to be just fine!
    The finish line was amazing and I could not have been more happy or excited ...and Yes Kelly Ted thinks your BAT-SH!T CRAZY...... If you girls impress him you know your killer riders...
    The lesson in all of this for me is the strength MTB'ing has given to me...the self-esteem, the mind-set I can go on...I met amazing people in this sport and Kevin, Kelly and Michele are just the icing on the cake...and they two will be empowered and pass this along to their children and the world will be a better place because these girls "will run your arse over on the trail if you don't get out of the way"
    Congratulations to everyone that day I met some amazing people and heard some incredible stories! That's what this is about....

75220_10150824061952947_573392946_10042323_2010590964_n[1].jpg 380189_10150824062907947_573392946_10042340_838291846_n[1].jpg 398312_10150824063452947_573392946_10042353_1647789571_n[1].jpg 549240_10150824063532947_573392946_10042354_1096104361_n[1].jpg 556734_10150824059092947_573392946_10042268_650587833_n[1].jpg
    If you want to go fast...go alone...if you want to go far....go with your friends!
    I am humbled and honored ladies!

8. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX

Daniel Munoz with 4:30:23.08, Sarah Jansen with 4:30:48.58
    . Course record is 3:44:01 by Tinker last year

I'm sure as it gets promoted it'll get a better turnout next year. By comparison, we had 115 finish last year with 8 DNF and 53 that DNS.

Anyway, congrats to all the finishers. This was my 1st year in 5 that I didn't do this race. I like the Traverse and was bummed we dropped it. I'm glad Saw picked it up. I almost signed up when I saw it wasn't sold out, but
    I work Saturdays and had to save my vacation time for another WS event we're having in for our members and volunteers to close out the season and prepare for next. Thanks again for the race reports. Maybe next year.