West LA folks, appeal for cold weather gear for homeless..

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by bing!, Nov 27, 2014.

1. bing!

bing! Active Member

Got a new project. I made 5 cold weather survival kits composed of large carrying bags, sleeping bag or winter blanket, and water.

Gave them away this morning to people sleeping on the streets and I was out before I got to 4 blocks away from my home in Venice.

I am planning to buy a few more sleeping bags when I get my next check. Thought I'd put it out there if anyone in WLA wants to give away large duffles/carrying bags (they really need these), old sleeping bags, heavy blankets and used jackets.

Im taking bags & blankets with holes and doing repairs. Whatever you have, if u think I can fix it with a reasonable amount of effort and it will give warmth or carry a sleeping bag or blanket, oversized XXL reusable shopping bags, I'll take it!

Venice and Santa Monica has a lot of homeless people and they could really use the gear.

I am doing pick ups Saturday morning. Text 310-FOOR98too84too Thanks!

2. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    Good for you Bing! We do a similar thing in Santa Ana around Xmas/New Year. You are showing the giving truly is better than receiving.

3. bing!

bing! Active Member

4. bing!

bing! Active Member

The Venice Comfy Avenger rides tonight! Taking the chill outta the homeless. Uh, that didnt sound right :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

5. chubacabra

chubacabra Threapy Dog

Thats a very nice thing you're doing. I'm volunteering at convalescent homes throughout the winter months myself despite I got laid off in November. My wife thinks theres something wrong, but like a small percentage of people in the mtn biking community, I am not into expensive bikes, 1x 11, Dura Ace or any of that. I think TIME is more precious and what you do with it is worth more than anything. Thanks for helping others, Mr Bing

6. bing!

bing! Active Member

Reading about your own project to help others out, I'm sure you know what I mean when I say, it's therapeutic.

Seeing the surprise and the happiness that comes out of the thought of sleeping in a nice clean sleeping bag and a few warmers is, pardon the cliche`, priceless :)

It helps with my own anxieties. I will also be out of work by mid Jan. No sympathy needed. Am a survivor and will be clawing my way back to the land of the working for a living soon enough :)

edit: Today was especially poignant. I cruised my usual haunt,3rd and Rose, Silicon Beach's Skid Row. I dont usually wake up people, but I saw a man sleeping with a cotton bedsheet and the bare sidewalk on his back. At 58 degrees out, I was pretty sure he wouldnt mind. I walked up to him and started speaking loudly, "Hey, man!" I said that 3-4x. I don't walk up too close until folks know I'm there and they exhibit approval of my approach. A precaution I take so as not to get stabbed.

When he did come to, he peeped out of his blanket, and I met Joe. An 80 something old man with a back pack and not much else. Asked him if he could use a sleeping bag. Yes, was the immediate answer. Spent a minute showing him how to use a chemical body warmer. Handed him a water bottle and left.

Total of 2 sleeping bags, 12 water bottles and 16 body warmers. Now I need a beer.

:)