Were really doing it!!!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by singlespeedrider, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Monster Mash

Monster Mash New Member

I think it's hilarious that they found this thread and decided to fake quit just to f*ck with us, it worked!! It's obvious they were cyclists before heading out, not many people can peddle 100 miles, get up and go again the next day without having some miles in the saddle. I'll continue to follow their journey because I know they are heading for some miserable times and it will be fun to watch...

2. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    The funny part is that they actually called out bonsainut and he has yet to make another appearance to this thread....

Foot still in mouth?

3. Bonsainut

Bonsainut Was ich nicht weiß...

Naw, I gave up caring when they started lying to create drama. Given that my earlier comments were only based on their "false quit" (I didn't comment beforehand) I think I just wasted several minutes of my life commenting on a fantasy.

If I ever get the chance to ride across the country, I sure as hell won't spend as much time worrying about what other people have to think about it...

4. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Member

Vestal Watch
    I am stoked I have something to read every day.

5. skyrone

skyrone New Member

I would venture to say that Heath and Jeff were not cyclists before they started this. Dudes that rode bikes from time to time, maybe, but Heath was kind of busy skateboarding

Long before I ever started cycling, I was skateboarding, and I still do. For about 15 years of that time, I have known who Heath Kirchart is, as he has been one of the most influential and talented skateboarders in the sport. If there is anything a professional skateboarder at his level can tolerate, its pain and suffering. A trip across the country on a bike isn't a challenge so tough the guy couldn't persevere. I don't know much about Jeff except for his photography but if he can take a fall like Heath, this trip won't be an issue.

Don't believe me? watch the 1998 video The End (Heath's the goofy footer) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLyAAp6NYUQ

As a disclaimer, i don't personally know either of these guys, I'm just a skateboarder and a guy who has biked and camped across a country, so I enjoy the story.

6. CalEpic

CalEpic member

ha ha - that's some funny shit.

7. hypnotoad

hypnotoad New Member

Heath

directed here via the slap message boards (skate forum)
    I'm an avid skateboarder and cyclist (more the latter than former these days as an outta shape married guy who doesn't have a spare five hours to skate every day anymore)
    Just thought I'd show you guys who you're dealing with, not just some dude, but an insanity fueled super athlete who isn't likely to be deterred by a sore ass and tired legs.

If he can put up with this, then he should be ok on a touring bike:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4gSKzbOyW8

here's a pretty good retrospective of his career. Just click on the individual video parts
    http://skate.ly/library/people/heath-kirchart

and his last full part in the most recent alien workshop video:
    http://vimeo.com/7117180

He displayed some serious class by retiring at the top of his game instead of milking a mediocre career for another 10 years like so many half assed pros. All us skate nerds are sad so see him go but also psyched to see him do something like this just for the hell of it.

8. WoodyW

WoodyW Member

2000 miles down!

9. simonmtb

simonmtb Digging for fun.

riding my bike and cooking dinner for the wife
    Way to go, guys. Stoked to hear you are doing this,

10. One_Track_Mind

One_Track_Mind New Member

Landscape Designer (Architect in Training)
    They totally psyched me out with the "false-quit"! I had talked trash about not being able to do it and then I felt sorry for them when they sounded so defeated... They got me! Good one! Glad they are still pushing along... I like to think that in some small way my trash talking helped. Sometimes someone telling you, you can't do something, is the greatest motivator.

I hope they make it through the Midwest by mid November, otherwise they are going to freeze their berries off...

11. skyrone

skyrone New Member

They did it "Cold buds in hand. A hug, a hive five, a kiss from the wife. ---- Mark it dude, we're done."

12. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Member

Vestal Watch
    Well it sounds like if I had thrown some money down on a bet I would be out right now. That is pretty impressive and think the mental part sounds like it was tougher than the actual riding part. Some of those post in the middle about not looking and the bike computer or mile markers were discouraging and I have done the same thing on some longer rides. I can only imagine what it is like day after day of that. Amazing job and I am pretty stoked can not wait to see there last post on the whole journey.