Well vented FF Helmets?

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by atchipmunk, Feb 13, 2010.

1. CalEpic

CalEpic member

The foam gets damaged by being the cushion between the shell and your skull. On many impacts the force could be distributed over a fairly large area of the shell and not cause any structural damage but your head still has a sudden stop. That's the purpose of using foam - to slow that impact and provide a cushion. If that foam compresses too much or cracks, it can not provide the same impact protection any longer. It's the same for XC lids or Full Face/Moto helmets

2. UPSed

UPSed SPECIALizED

Not damaged per say but it does take the brunt of the impact. If the liner didn't give you'd basically be wearing a fiberglass shell. Personally I wouldn't replace mine unless I could see actual damage.

3. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    Once again, this is something i'd need to see evidence of. Hard to figure how foam can be damaged when a fiberglass shell with no give isn't strucurally compromised, and the riders skull remains intact. What's not hard to understand is that companies who manufacture helmets make more money when they sell more helmets. One wonders where the facts end and myth begins.

4. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    You head hitting it - and the absorption of the impact being transferred through the shell to the foam.

5. calzone

calzone Banned

Web Whiz Looking for Work
  6. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    The polystyrene foam is made with a process called foam molding. Sodium bicarbonate is injected with the raw styrene and this causes the product to foam. It creates cell structures kind of like a beehive. The styrene does have some memory so it will try to revert back to its original molded shape. Problem is the walls of the cells have been compromised and have lost a lot of their structual strength, so even though it might look damage free, it isn't. Do you really want to gamble with your noggin? I understand your a stupidass, but you're no dummy.

7. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

8. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    EPS = Expandable Poly Styrene

9. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Good read here and they say there's no difference between a top of the line carbon fiber model 200$+ and a $25 walmart special.

http://www.bhsi.org/helmet10.htm

10. madridg

madridg Ride Therapy Patient

Medical Device Engineer
    Home Page:
    For those of you that have one, where did you get it, and how's the fit on the MET Parachute helmet? Safe to measure and order online? Was looking at chainreactioncycles...

11. UPSed

UPSed SPECIALizED

12. markdochtermann

markdochtermann Elevation Earner

Video Game Developer
    I have a MET Parachute and I like it but I have to say it runs a bit small. I have a pretty big head and I barely fit in mine. There is very little padding on the inside of helmet and I can feel the straps kind of dig into my skull.

I bought a Met Parachute MTB Helmet - Red Size: Large (58-61cm) from www.totalcycling.com (89 pounds for the helmet)

If they had an XL I think I would have liked that beter.

13. UPSed

UPSed SPECIALizED

I have an XL head as well so I took all the padding out and just wear a skull cap underneath. Very comfortable.

14. markdochtermann

markdochtermann Elevation Earner

Video Game Developer
    I just re-read my post. The helmet doesn't WEIGH 89 pounds, I meant 89 pounds sterling. #-o

Thanks for the tip UPSed!

15. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

I really hate to say this.... But the Met helmet, and others like it, are really just giving a false sense of security. There is no padding of reinforcement to the chicn guard section, so all it realyl does is help protect from actuall lacerations, but not from impact.

Curious question for the owners of teh MET helmets..... How does the chinguard sit over your mouth? Is it restrictive in your breathing, blow back on your exhaust?????

16. UPSed

UPSed SPECIALizED

I think mine runs across the front of my chin and my breathing is not restricted at all. You can spit if you pull the chin guard down a hair.

17. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Thank you, I was curious about that. I miss my Vigor though, Im going to miss the Vamoose.... wish they were still making it, it was lite, very well vented, could breathe well.....well I still have it, it sjust taken a beating and needed replacement.

18. Gun Show

Gun Show New Member

The foam lining is designed to explode on impact to dissapate energy away from your head. Even if the foam does not looked cracked, you should replace it if you have had a substantial impact. Most helmet companies have a crash replacement policy where you pay a few bucks to send in your old helmet with a description of the crash and your old helmet for analysis.

For real DH and aggressive freeriding my vote is with Troy Lee. They vent well and are very light. I'm sure the next post is that they are very expensive, my reply is your head is worth it.