Visiting OC from NorCal, looking a must ride trail!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jtran69, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Jtran69

Jtran69 New Member

Hello STR members,

I'm from San Jose and visiting Santa Ana for the Holidays and looking to ride a trail that is consider a must ride in OC with most scenic, single track, and challenging if possible. I ride UCSC (Mailbox, Magic Carpet, Sweetness, etc...) often so I should be able to handle most terrains. I rode Santiago Oaks yesterday and it was fun. Thanks for your quick response.

Joe

2. portlypeddler

portlypeddler Active Member

under a bridge
    Drive out to Trabuco Canyon and take the dirt wash to Holy Jim trailhead parking. Continue on your bike up Fire road where signage is for West horse thief. At the end of fire road which is less than a mile from parking go over Moto guard and enjoy our beautiful Cleveland National Forest. Continue for nearly two miles and take a left and the marked trail on your left, w. Horse thief, Push bike for just over a mile or so to Main Divide, (fire road) go right and enjoy views for less than 3 miles and then drop Trabuco trail.....absolutely awesome and beautiful forest single track for a good 4 miles that will loop you right back to parked car, cold beer, etc.
    Steve

FD Pezman likes this.
  3. FD Pezman

FD Pezman Member

Smooth Operator
    Trabuco is a great trail, it has such natural flow, but if you need something a little more challenging there is always Yeager Mesa Trail. The trail that gets you to Yeager Mesa, Los Pinos trail is about 15ft. past the trabuco trail head on the right next to the Trabuco Trail head. Los Pinos trail will take you up to Los Pinos Peak which is above Trabuco trail. When you get to the top of Los Pinos Peak instead of continuing you make a right turn at fork onto a tight single track going through the bushes, this Unmarked trail is Bell Ridge Trail. This trail is steep and technical with a couple well worth Hike-A-Bikes. There is one steep Hike-A-Bike on Bell Ridge that brings you to the top of of a peak, there will be a trail on your right hand side, this is Yeager Mesa. You will then drop into Yeager Mesa, a very very steep and Technical trail, with great views. The trail takes you straight through one of the last pine forests of Orange county. You must be warned though, this trail is pretty gnar, it is comendable to make it to the bottom without falling. Luckily the ground is soft on this trail and there are plenty of ferns to pillow any falls. I would highly recommend riding this trail with some and not by yourself, only because it is a wilderness trail and it is one of the lighter ridden trails in the forest. if you were to get hurt it would be a while till some one found you. Also Yeager drops you out on West Horse Theif, then all you have to do is ride out the way you came and back down the fire road to your car. Have fun man! Its an awesome trail, its very unique, in my book its a must do!

portlypeddler likes this.
  4. kingaucho

kingaucho Member

With rain we just got, San Juan Trail off Ortega Hwy would be my recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Jtran69

Jtran69 New Member

Thank all for quick and detail reply!
    Ill ride Trabuco tomo and San Juan for the next holidays.

6. portlypeddler

portlypeddler Active Member

under a bridge
    Perhaps I'll see ya out there. Hope you have a grand time, so pretty out there.

Steve

7. Jtran69

Jtran69 New Member

Steve,
    Let me know if you can make it tomorrow and my time is flexible.
    2 riders would make a team especially having a local rider! Please let me know.
    If not, I hope to see some STR members at the parking lot and go from there. Ths, Joe

ps. San Juan trail appears to be some serious downhill fun of 2800' drop over 12 miles!!

8. mike001

mike001 Well-Known Member

Joe,

Portlypeddler's ride is a nice one, around 12 mi out/back.

Be aware that there is no signage marking the start of Trabuco Trail at Main Divide. It's not obvious if you don't know what you're looking for. Heading Southeast from West Horsethief on Main Divide (toward Trabuco Trail), you'll get to a very big open area with pipe fences on both sides of this area. The trail begins about 15 feet before the fence on your right, which is right as you enter this area. It's well worn, heading immediately slightly downhill and between a three short metal posts (designed to keep cars out) within the first 50 yards. Less than twenty feet after it starts, though, a lesser-traveled fork splits off to the left going uphill immediately. This is the Los Pinos Ridge trail Pezman describes above. It has a metal brown sign post back in the trees once you're on it, then another hand-painted wooden sign reading "Hot Springs Cyn 14km."

If you want more mileage and more challenge, I'll be riding Coldwater Trail in the AM. No takers so far. It starts at the same place Trabuco does (Holy Jim parking area). Info is here:
    http://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/tomorrow-sunday-11-29-coldwater-trail.3456/

I'll check this site and the one linked for PMs later tonight. Have a good ride regardless.

9. Jtran69

Jtran69 New Member

Hi Mike,
    How long does ColdwaterTrail riding take? Im driving back to San Jose tomo afternoon. Joe

10. mike001

mike001 Well-Known Member

The described lolli could take around 4+ hours. I'm throwing up some extra credit options to some guys who might be joining from up north. Log onto the thread I linked for the scoop : )

If you're pressed for time you could just reverse Upper Holy Jim to Holy Jim back to the parking area. Or just reverse Holy Jim. You can't lose b/c no matter where you turn back it will be fun descending. That latter would take 2 hours. Once you go over the other side down Coldwater, you're committed.