Utah St. George Hurriacane

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by randalnelson, Sep 10, 2015.

1. randalnelson

randalnelson Member

sales rep
    Heading out to south west Utah mid October never been there to ride. Any recommendations? Don't care too much for extreme exposure or super knarly trails. Locally I am good with Luge, Rock-it, Lynx, San Juan Trail, Chutes Ridgeline, stuff like that. Any suggestions would be much appreciated, expecting to ride 4-5 days.

2. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
  3. pinnacle10

pinnacle10 Member

Teacher
    Home Page:
    The site dstepper posted has everything. I've ridden the area a bunch and refer to that site every time I go.

In St. George you can put a great loop together to include Bearclaw Poppy, Barrel Roll, Suicidal Tendencies, and Zen trail. This link has a couple of them - https://www.strava.com/activities/107658644

In Hurricane you have Gooseberry Mesa and Hurricane Rim and others. There's a great bike shop right in town on your way to most trails that's worth a stop. If you've never done Gooseberry it's a must ride.

Brianhead is great too, but it's probably too late in the year to go there. It's also a little more technical than the other spots.

randalnelson likes this.
  4. ofcounsel

ofcounsel Member

As others have said, Gooseberry Mesa, Hurricane Rim, JEM trail. Note, Gooseberry is very different than stuff we have here, and it's a "must ride." Stop by Over The Edge bike shop in Hurricane, get yourself a map, talk to the locals.

Seriously consider hitting up Monte from http://www.utahmountainbikingadventures.com
    Monte is an experienced and super awesome guide, and pretty much knows all the trails and local riders. He took my buddies and I out for Gooseberry and JEM. He knows SoCal riding as well, so I told him the local trails I'm comfortable with (similar to yours --- Luge, San Juan Trail, Rock-it) and then he picked trail route options that were on par with our skill/fitness level. Monte is "retired" so is always available to ride around as a guide. Hit him up.

randalnelson likes this.